Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What type of degree do you have?

What type of degree do you have? (Page 3)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckmcd
Currently, I am a youth pastor... and I'm working on a MDiv (masters of divinity) from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
Sweet. Now I can buy my way into Heaven through FAFSA!!! So long Indulgence, hello student loan! (If the government files a collection after you die... does God kick you out?)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2005, 08:27 PM

Bachelor of Science: Information Technology & Administrative Management
Associate of Arts

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Is it normal in NZ to go for a PhD w/o having a Masters ?

-t
I guess it's like the US. You either go for a MS or a PhD. The MS research is then part of your PhD.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
B.S. Biology, Michigan State University, 6/91
M.D., Wayne State University, 6/95
Good Ol' Wayne State. Did you do your residency at St John's hospital? I heard they have one of the best ER/injured by a firearm hands-on practice in the country. And judging by all the gun shots I heard while going to school there I am not totally surprised....

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
I don't understand; don't you have enough tummies to deal with already?

Hah, I could never have enough tummies!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I'd love to hear more about teaching music technology—if you don't have to deal with parents, that sounds like a great job for me.
Right, since the thread is now off-course enough for me not to feel like I'm corrupting it anyways and I've now had a nice sleep, here goes... ...bearing in mind it was a while ago.

I was teaching young adults rather than kids, which made things easier as almost everyone was there to learn (i.e. there because they wanted to be there). There was occasionally a problem with the odd guitarist who had to do a couple of modules as part of another course ("pah, technology is for geeks") but that soon went away after breaking out the guitar synth. No problems with parents. The biggest problems were with other members of staff, and this was mainly due to politics (i.e. I was twice asked to go on strike and told them to get lost because I don't believe in unions).
Taught everything from midi byte structures (i.e. the very basics) to synth programming to "how to make it sound like your crappy drummer isn't hitting rolled up carpets with a lump hammer".
As for how to actually get a job like that, I couldn't tell you as I just stumbled onto it - a case of being in the right place at the right time with the right knowledge and attitude.
If you want to go for it, just fill yourself with knowledge and apply to a few places, I guess. Bear in mind that when I did it I really knew my stuff - i.e. I knew exactly what sending any raw bytes to my synths would do and I was one of about only four people in the country who knew how to do certain things (not bragging - just giving you a heads up as to what kind of level I was at). It was easy (for me, anyways). I left after four years because it got a little boring teaching the same thing over and over again - wasn't for me.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 11:05 PM

BA Marketing, Michigan State University, 2004

Now I'm (for the most part) running a construction company in Florida. I do the marketing stuff too, and some of my management classes helped out a bit, but for the most part it's an unrelated field.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 11:07 PM

B.S., Chemistry-Premedicine, Ohio University, 1997
D.O., Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2001
Internship, St. Joseph Health Center, Warren, Ohio
Internal Medicine Residency, St. Joseph Health Center, Warren, Ohio

I now practice internal medicine at The Defiance Clinic in Defiance, Ohio.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 11:11 PM

Currently working on:

BS Computer Science @ University Texas Austin

and afterwards maybe a MS Theoretical Physics. That would be fun.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2005, 11:22 PM

B.A. Biology & Secondary Education 1992.
Working on M.A. Education. Should be done May 2006.

Currently teaching Middle School Science.
( Last edited by LeftWingLock; Aug 9, 2005 at 10:05 AM. )
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by LeftWingLock
Currently teaching Middle School Science.
Do you enjoy teaching that age? Do you find it "easy"?

meelk
Baninated
Aug 9, 2005, 01:59 AM

BA in English from a small southern Univ. which took me absolutely nowhere, yay!
Currently finishing pre-reqs for an Ass. Science which will launch me into the nursing program at the local tech. Nurse in 2 years.

gethigh
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 06:38 AM

B.S. in Electrical Engineering @ U.C. Davis 2005
Minors in Anthropology and History

Now pursuing a PhD in E.E. @ UCD
(couldn't refuse a free ride + a stipend).
Extra income from T.A.'ing and a little slice of research $$.

Hopefully I'll be a future Professor/Lecturer/Researcher at some
University and retire early to teach High School or Community College.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 07:48 AM

MEng in Engineering Design: Mechanical

I am unfortunately working as a Development Engineer. I hate Engineering, it really bores me. I'd love to do something more creative - if only I had the talent!

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 08:43 AM

Hash,

I can't yet compare teaching in college to high school, because I'm still a high school teacher. I can tell you that it is both challenging and rewarding. Parents can sometimes be a real hassle and some are very supportive. The kids are great, even the challenging ones who are not particularly interested in school. It is just important to choose a different approach with such students. I try to keep it fun, relevant, and interesting. Also, I find if I enjoy what I'm doing, the kids do better.

Spliff,

By one of 'those' teachers, I mean someone who is burned out and just going through the motions. I think this is inevitable for most people who teach with passion and try to do a good job. I just think if I make a change to the university venue, I will be motivated to improve further. Also, the emphasis willl be less on teaching and more on scholarly pursuits. But I think my teaching experience will be very benficial when I finally get there and teach in a univ.
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Do you enjoy teaching that age? Do you find it "easy"?
I do enjoy it but then again I have often been accused of acting like a 7th grader myself so maybe that helps. The teaching itself is easy. It's all the other stuff (dealing with the state, school board, administration, parents, IEP requirements, No Child Left Behind, etc.) that makes the job not so enjoyable. As somebody else mentioned the kids are usually great, it's the adults that can often times be a pain.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by LeftWingLock
I do enjoy it but then again I have often been accused of acting like a 7th grader myself so maybe that helps. The teaching itself is easy. It's all the other stuff (dealing with the state, school board, administration, parents, IEP requirements, No Child Left Behind, etc.) that makes the job not so enjoyable. As somebody else mentioned the kids are usually great, it's the adults that can often times be a pain.
I'm a high scholl teacher, so I hear you. The actual teaching is rewarding and enjoyable, it's all the paperwork, the parents, the gov't and so on that make life sucky. It's fustrating, because government officials want results, results, results, yet tie our hands. For example, the state wants every school to have a minimum number of manditory science classes. Okay, fine. We need to hire a new science teacher. We can't afford it, we need more money. What are we going to do? Raise property taxes? Fire some other teacher to to free up money or cut something like the band? You want this, yet you wont fund it.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 11:30 AM

Yes, that's my POV exactly.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

tgags
Aug 9, 2005, 11:49 AM

I am new to teaching, last year was my first year. To me, it seems the biggest problem in education are the administration salaries. At our HS we have a Superintendant, Assistant Superintendant, a Principal, and 4 vice principals - all making over $100k per year. Then add to that the child study teams. Most of the money from the government for education is going to these high salaries. Unfortunately, public schools have become very top heavy. The money is not getting into the classroom that is for sure. Our computer art books are from the early 90s, most of the technology discussed is obsolete. New books would cost about $2,500, and we can't afford it. Near the end of the year if we start running out of ink for the printers, or even paper, we can't get more.
That's another thing, supplies, we have to order from these catalogues and the prices are double what you would pay if you went to WallMart and bought the stuff. But we have to order from the catalogues because they are 'state approved vendors'. Some rediculous stuff going on. There are certainly problems in education, I just outlined the two primary ones.

TG

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 09:10 PM

I teach at a university. While I love the job and there is usually a few very good students in the class that make it worth while, there are also those who just sit there and do nothing. There are also the same folks who complain and protest low grades, further wasting the time of myself and others.

You look at their high-school transcripts and wonder why they got the grades that they did. We very seriously have students who get pushed along and never learn about failure. The first time they do fail at something (often in my class) they don't know how to handle it.

I've started trying to help by beefing up the mid-term and lowering the weight of that same test. This allows these same students a "wake-up call" while not totally destroying their grade. If they take the hint they can still do well. If they don't, I have little sympathy.

Worse: I often give an extra credit project to help those who have fallen a bit behind. I make the project available to the entire class (you kind of have to). The result? Only those students who didn't need the project do it (they would have gotten a good grade anyway), and those who need it never bothered with it.

Kind of frustrating.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 09:40 PM

BS Industrial Technology
AS Avionics Systems

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos
Good Ol' Wayne State. Did you do your residency at St John's hospital? I heard they have one of the best ER/injured by a firearm hands-on practice in the country. And judging by all the gun shots I heard while going to school there I am not totally surprised....
Residency (Radiology) at Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn, MI (95-99)
Fellowship (Thoracic Imaging) at The University of Michigan (99-00)
Assistant Professor of Radiology, University of Michigan (02-05)
Chief of Cardiovascular Imaging, Christiana Care Health System, Wilmington, DE (present)

Computer Nerd (1979-present)...

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 09:46 PM

BS in Aeronautical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2000.

Presently, i work as a mechanical engineer doing product development.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Worse: I often give an extra credit project to help those who have fallen a bit behind. I make the project available to the entire class (you kind of have to). The result? Only those students who didn't need the project do it (they would have gotten a good grade anyway), and those who need it never bothered with it.
I loathe extra credit. The people who ask for it are usually the ones who were too lazy to do the mandatory work.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I loathe extra credit. The people who ask for it are usually the ones who were too lazy to do the mandatory work.
Well ... after my experiences I've stopped giving it.

Makes more work for me without any benefit for anyone.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 11:43 PM

BS Computer Science
Minor in mathematics

Currently finishing up my 4 year term in the Army (used a ROTC scholarship to fund my education).
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

jersey
Senior User
Aug 10, 2005, 01:31 AM

I teach at a university. ...snip.....Kind of frustrating.
I'll second all of that.

I pretty much approach my classes the same way. However, I have found that there is a huge difference between University students and Community College students. It seems that in general the CC students work much harder. As well, I find most, (not all) University kids have had everything handed to them (at least out here anyway) and could give a damn about their education. Sad situation really.

At the beginning of each semester I am very clear that my class is a ton of work, and students still think they will be able to blow it off and get by. Amazing, really. I guess thats why I failed 13 out of 29 my first semester . I felt really bad, but the grade book dont lie.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by calamar1
BS in Aeronautical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2000.

Presently, i work as a mechanical engineer doing product development.
How are you finding mechanical engineering? I don't seem to come across many mac using mechanical engineers.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 03:21 AM

PhD in STOOPIDNESS
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jersey
I'll second all of that.
I failed 13 out of 29 my first semester . I felt really bad, but the grade book dont lie.

I like you as a lecturer. Good stuff

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 07:46 AM

B.S Biology, University of Navarra (Pamplona, Spain), 1996
M.S Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1999
Ph.D., Food Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2005

Currently unemployed
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 10, 2005, 09:24 AM

Diploma in physics (MSc)
PhD in atomic physics

Now developing software for ESA satellites at Max-Planck. Somewhat related because my main focus in physics was astrophysics. But I worked for several companies in between.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 09:31 AM

Masters degree in architecture.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 10:03 AM

Well ... after my experiences I've stopped giving it.

Makes more work for me without any benefit for anyone.
Smart man. I make it a point of saying up front that extra credit will not be offered. I'm all for second chances, but only when kids understand they're a gift and not a right.

OreoCookie
Aug 10, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by I was David B.
Diploma in physics (MSc)
PhD in atomic physics

Now developing software for ESA satellites at Max-Planck. Somewhat related because my main focus in physics was astrophysics. But I worked for several companies in between.
Where did you get your degrees?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 10:11 AM

PhD in atomic physics
Wouldn't that be "Nucular Physics" in English?

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

I was David B.
Aug 10, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
Wouldn't that be "Nucular Physics" in English?
No, it would be atomic physics .

Atomic physics deals with the electrons in the atomic shell (their states, emission of radiation, excitation, ionisation, calculating energy levels, spectroscopy, etc.)

Nuclear physics studies the nucleus of the atoms (protons, neutrons, elementary interactions that keep these things together). Nuclear physics needs usually an order of magnitude more energy to study it. Thats mostly done in accelerators nowadys whereas atomic physics can be done in any lab.

I was David B.
Aug 10, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Where did you get your degrees?
Diploma at the University of Hamburg.
PhD in Freiburg.
Both germany.

Du bist auch Physiker (bald)?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 10:20 AM

No, it would be atomic physics
Side note: how does Molecular Physics fit into this picture ?
Above Atomic Physics, I guess

-t

I was David B.
Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 AM

Side note: how does Molecular Physics fit into this picture ?
Above Atomic Physics, I guess

-t
Yes, molecular physics studies - well - molecules.
They have much richer spectra (not only electronic states but also rotation and vibration).

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 10:31 AM

BS Material Science and Engineering
Currently working on my JD.

--ranga

OreoCookie
Aug 10, 2005, 10:34 AM

Diploma at the University of Hamburg.
PhD in Freiburg.
Both germany.

Du bist auch Physiker (bald)?
Ja, an der TU München. Fange im Januar meinen Doktor in mathematischer Physik an.

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 10:38 AM

No, it would be atomic physics ...
Ahhh, okay.

My knowledge of Physics doesn't rerally go beyond 8th grade Gymnasium. I can vivdly remember the "Flaschenzug" example, and how much I felt like I'd rather be in a different course at that moment...

My Physics teacher looked exactly like Einstein though...that was kinda cool. *g*

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 10:41 AM

My Physics teacher looked exactly like Einstein
You gotta be the oldest member around here

*SCNR*

-t

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 10:42 AM

Beng degree - in Manufacturing Systems with Engineering.

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 10:44 AM

You gotta be the oldest member around here

*SCNR*

-t
Nah dude, you got me confused. I'm the one with the longest member around here.

Anywho, how does that follow?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2005, 10:47 AM

Nah dude, you got me confused. I'm the one with the longest member around here.
Pageing SWF, please report to Warung for comparative studies immediately

-t

I was David B.
Aug 10, 2005, 10:51 AM

Ja, an der TU München. Fange im Januar meinen Doktor in mathematischer Physik an.
Are you in Garching or downtown?

OreoCookie
Aug 10, 2005, 11:14 AM

Are you in Garching or downtown?
In Garching in the math building (fortunately). I'm already in the math department.

I was David B.
Aug 10, 2005, 11:19 AM

In Garching in the math building (fortunately). I'm already in the math department.
Then our offices are maybe 200 meters apart (bee-line). I am at MPE.
Do you use macs in your physics department? For what purposes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules