Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Google Talk and iChat

Google Talk and iChat
beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 12:00 AM

So apparently you can use Tiger's Jabber-capable iChat with Google Talk:

http://www.google.com/support/talk/b...y?answer=24076

I keep getting an error message when I try and log in, and not the error they mention. It's repeatable every time and I can't get logged in at all. Can anyone get it working? I can't tell if the server's down or if I'm doing something wrong.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2005, 12:15 AM

I just got it working with Adium, using instructions someone posted on Slashdot. Here's how:

1. Add new Jabber account.
2. Use your Gmail address as your account name and your Gmail password as your password.
3. Under Options, set the Connect Server to talk.google.com and set the port to 5222. Keep TLS encryption checked.
4. There is no 4. You can now connect and be the coolest person on your block.

beverson  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 12:35 AM

Yeah, no dice here. I'm sure I've got my login/password in correctly, but it still won't work.

The help page says port 5223. Neither that nor 5222 work for me though.

Incidentally, if I turn the SSL checkbox off and on again, it automatically switches me back to 5223. For whatever that's worth.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2005, 01:38 AM

I tried with iChat using SSL and port 5223. After a few tries fiddling with the settings, it worked.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 04:35 AM

Here are Google's own instructions.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2005, 04:44 AM

Make sure that the server is talk.google.com, and not talk.gmail.com, which is what iChat automatically entered for me.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 06:43 AM

Well, Google Talk requires a Google Mail account, and Google Mail is still in beta, so one can not get an account. So I can not try it for now.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 07:19 AM

Works fine here

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2005, 07:45 AM

Tetenal, if you'd like an invitation for a Gmail account, send me your email address. I have 49 invitations left still.

Dizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 07:51 AM

No luck for me either... have been trying to get iChat online with Google Talk, but no luck. Tried al the different settings

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 08:03 AM

Worked fine for me, using Google's instructions.

Server automatically put the right settings in and everything.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 08:13 AM

btw: Is it possible to have 2 jabber-accounts active in iChat at the same time?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 08:42 AM

I don't believe so. Same with AIM accounts.

siMac
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by beverson
So apparently you can use Tiger's Jabber-capable iChat with Google Talk
Yeah, text IM works since it's just regular Jabber. No Mac support for the actual 'Talk' part though. Can't say I'm surprised however, *cough* Picasa *cough*.

Just what we were waiting for, another non-universally-compatible IM service to add to the list. At least this one's not proprietary, being based on Jabber.

Skype got it right - they just need to add video support and they'll kill the competition.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

beverson  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Make sure that the server is talk.google.com, and not talk.gmail.com, which is what iChat automatically entered for me.
That did it! Duh. Thanks Gee4orce.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 24, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
Yeah, text IM works since it's just regular Jabber. No Mac support for the actual 'Talk' part though. Can't say I'm surprised however, *cough* Picasa *cough*.

Just what we were waiting for, another non-universally-compatible IM service to add to the list. At least this one's not proprietary, being based on Jabber.

Skype got it right - they just need to add video support and they'll kill the competition.
I don't think you're being fair. First, I heard voice support actually works (I can't confirm it because it seems Google Talk doesn't recognize my ThinkPad's internal mic). Second, Google is working on releasing a Mac and Linux version. Third, this is a 1.0 release (well...it's actually a beta) for the love of God. Other features are coming.

Google mentions they're adding features that are based around open standards. One can imagine H.263 or H.264 video chat is coming soon.

edit: I just checked out what protocol Google Talk uses for audio chat detection and I came to the conclusion the reports of iChat/Google Talk audio chats working are probably fake considering Google Talk is using a custom protocol while iChat uses SIP. Google does mention they're working on using SIP in the future.

2nd edit: Seems like audio chat only works between iChat users using their gmail Jabber account. (Does this mean video chat would work also?)

When Google Talk starts using SIP, we'll be able to initiate A/V chats with AIM/ICQ users, Trillian Pro users and Google Talk users (and of course iChat users)...things are looking bright for the future of communication. I'm sure Microsoft will put up a grand fight but will ultimately lose this one.

Losing fights is what MS will have to get used to from now on unless they change their ways.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Aug 24, 2005 at 11:04 AM. )

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Well, Google Talk requires a Google Mail account, and Google Mail is still in beta, so one can not get an account. So I can not try it for now.
Gmail is now open to the public.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Ok, well in the US it is by sms apparently....

I still have plenty of invites!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 02:17 PM

I might need one - I had a google mail account last summer and I let it lapse into inactivity.
It's apparently gone now. Grumble.

The SMS invite has not made it to my phone yet. Sheesh. They don't make it easy.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
I might need one - I had a google mail account last summer and I let it lapse into inactivity.
It's apparently gone now. Grumble.

FYI: Google eliminates any accounts that have not sent or received an email in 3 month. That's what is stated on the Gmail site. However, like you, I learned the hard way. Once removed, If you try to get an account back, there is no guarantee that the name will still exist.

best,
dodger

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
No, it's not.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/i...ut.html#signup

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
FYI: Google eliminates any accounts that have not sent or received an email in 3 month. That's what is stated on the Gmail site. However, like you, I learned the hard way. Once removed, If you try to get an account back, there is no guarantee that the name will still exist.

best,
dodger

May 24th was the last time I used it!

*goes off to send a generic test msg*

siMac
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Google is working on releasing a Mac and Linux version.
Good stuff, where did you hear that?

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
When Google Talk starts using SIP, we'll be able to initiate A/V chats with AIM/ICQ users, Trillian Pro users and Google Talk users (and of course iChat users)
I certainly hope so. This is the only way that this AV utopia will come about - as a 'disinterested' third party development. Microsoft certainly have no intention of supporting the Mac in this area, and having to rely on AOL to develop the AV compatible Windows client is, frankly, a waste of time. My hopes were previously with Skype, but it seems the competition is hotting up. This could turn out to be a catalyst for standards-based cross platform AV comms.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
Good stuff, where did you hear that?
Google's FAQ

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 24, 2005, 11:27 PM

dont know if this was said but this works in 10.3.9 if ur using Adium
though i dont know anyone who uses jabber so its useless to me