Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > To buy or not to buy? Should I wait?

To buy or not to buy? Should I wait?
Bill Kinkle
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 07:32 PM

I have been debating whether or not to buy my new G5 now or wait. I was hoping that the speculation about Paris would hold true and the dual core 3.0 models would be unvieled, but did not. So I guess my question is should I buy a Dual 2.7 G5 now or wait a little longer. Or should I buy an older Dual 2.5? I have heard some reports that the 2.7's are not all their cracked up to be and the older model is better. Either way, any of them will smoke the pants off my Dual 450 G4. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Quad G5 1.5 gig 12 inch PB Lots of other stuff.

http://www.billkinkle.com

Dzokayi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 10:38 PM

Apple has been known to stealth an update 1 or 2 weeks after an expo. If there's no stealth update to the Power Macs within 2 weeks, I'd go ahead and order. Don't expect a dual (core or otherwise) 3.0. IBM announced the fastest dual-core they have is 2.5. Absolutely no word on a single-core 3GHz part.

For my $, I'd go with a 2.5. The premium for the 2.7 just isn't worth it. Here's what I'd do (if no dual-cores materialize within 2 weeks).

Snag an outgoing 2.5 at a major discount. Use the $ saved to bump the RAM, video card (if gaming), and do the firmware update on the optical drive to bring it up to par with the 2.7 (16x, dual layer burning). Hard drive storage is cheap - the 2.5 comes with 160Gb vs 250 on the 2.7 - add more storage if necessary.

Cheers...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 05:37 PM

If you can afford to wait, then wait! There will always be something better/faster/cheaper down the road.

Realistically, wait until the new models are announced. Then you can decide whether to get a new one, or snag an older one on clearance.

tooki

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 01:33 PM

i bought now and couldn't be happier. you may not want a first generation new model anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules