Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > linux on an imac

linux on an imac
kick52
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 07:33 AM

Hi.

I was thinking about getting linux on my imac (signature)

is it worth it?
which flavour should i get?
how do i install it?

thankx, kick52

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 08:08 AM

I don't think it's worth it... Mac OS X can already run most linux apps... (160mb might be a bit tight though).
If you really want to install linux, you can go with yellow dog or mandrake... You need to download the .iso CD image and burn it on a CD to install it.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 09:10 AM

Ubuntu.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 09:35 AM

i dont have os x yet and i dont have a cd burner... unless i can get a cd off ebay, sod it.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 8, 2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
Hi.

I was thinking about getting linux on my imac (signature)

is it worth it?
which flavour should i get?
how do i install it?

thankx, kick52
Yellow Dog linux is a nice distro that supports Mac specific features.
It will be much faster than OS X. The install guide and hardware compatibility list can be found on their website.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2005, 02:26 PM

Ubuntu will ship CDs to you for free.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 03:32 AM

kl. i'll have a look

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 03:35 AM

oh. it says it supports PowerPC but only G4 and G5.

david_copperfield
Oct 9, 2005, 05:25 AM

As simac said, get a ubuntu. My friend has installed in on his old iMac G3.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 08:36 AM

do you know what version?

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 10:15 AM

I have successfully run Ubuntu on an iMac G3 350, and iBook G3 700 and a PowerMac G4 400, and I will install it on my iMac G5 when I get it.

Unless you meant which version of Ubuntu, in which case I am using 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog), but you may be best off waiting for 5.10 (Breezy Badger) due for release in about a week I believe.

I was David B.
Oct 10, 2005, 04:44 AM

I recommend to check carefully which software is available for your linux distibutions. At a quick glance it seems that Ubuntu ships only one disk. That will give you very limited options. Moreover they offer a ppc version but they don't say a word about mac support.

Yellow Dog targets at macintosh hardware and they offer solutions for mac-only problemes (including mounting of hfs+ partitions and firewire drives, support of a large amount of macintosh used hardware (video cards!!!) etc.). And on 4 disks you find much more software - which, btw. is limited enough. Only 700 MB will suck to hell.
( Last edited by I was David B.; Oct 10, 2005 at 05:53 AM. )

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Oct 10, 2005, 03:02 PM

thanks.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 03:45 AM

'Suck to hell'? Your judgement seems a little harsh based on 'a quick glance'...

Ubuntu comes a whole host of software including Firefox, the Gimp, an office suite and a mail reader, plus much more. As for Mac support, wander over to the Ubuntu forums and check out the Mac section - I have been able to find answers to all of my questions there.

I have been very impressed with Ubuntu, but the best idea is to get a hold of the (free) CDs, which contain an install disk, plus a LiveCD so you can try it out first without installing anything.

I was David B.
Oct 11, 2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
'Suck to hell'? Your judgement seems a little harsh based on 'a quick glance'...
I don't think so.
I did not write ubuntu sucks to hell. I wrote that only 700 MB of software might suck to hell.

I use suse and ydl for years now. Suse ships 5 cds (or a dvd) with compiled code, ydl 4 (+ sources if you want).

While suse has a lot of software included, I sometimes have problems to find what I need on ydl.
Of course you won't have problems if you only want a browser and a chat application. But with time comes demand. And then you find yourself compiling sources because your distribution does not deliver the necessary binaries. Finally you will learn what a shared library is and why it is a plague (especially on ppc).

To have a nice experience with linux instead of getting a new distribution once you need software, I recommend to install a mature and well maintained package. Especially for ppc, compiled binaries can be hard to find. And one cd is a nice start, but it gives you very limited options, especially considering drivers and libraries. If you choose a small distribution you should be aware that you might have to help yourself at some point. This can be entertaining if you like to tinker with software, compilers and libraries. This is a nightmare if you want a working system.

Its just my experience. I want to share it and give kick52 one more option that I think is worth a look (not only a quick glance :0)).

But linux distributions are like religions. If you ask a community which is best and wait long enough, you will get a complete set of all available distributions recommended. So best is to check, which distribution cares for your hardware and delivers a large bundle of software. For macs ydl is the a very good source in my opinion.

Btw: I found out that suse has again a ppc version for download. Its free, like ydl and ubuntu.
But the idea to get a live cd and check without having to install is a good one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules