Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac G5

New iMac G5
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:04 PM

Well im sure you have all already seen the new iMac Stevie announced just about an hour ago, and to be honest, I dont see it as much of a worthwhile upgrade, 100 mhz speed bumps. But i guess there are some nice features such as DDR2 memory @ 533mhz, and a thinner profile, along with the new apple remote and Front Row software. The integrated iSight is a very cool idea!

Personally I think an upgrade would have been more worthwhile on the powerbooks.

On an ipod note, not very exciting in my opinion, you can't get more than 480x480 video on that thing, and that will just be plain nasty when watching it through a TV using the av cable. Thinner design and bigger HD (20->30) is cool though
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:07 PM

time to buy both!!!
17" imac and 60 gig pod

oh yah

Zim
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Well im sure you have all already seen the new iMac Stevie announced just about an hour ago, and to be honest, I dont see it as much of a worthwhile upgrade, 100 mhz speed bumps. But i guess there are some nice features such as DDR2 memory @ 533mhz, and a thinner profile, along with the new apple remote and Front Row software. The integrated iSight is a very cool idea!
Frankly I don't get the "Front Row" software on a iMac... did I miss some way of wirelessly transmitting video?
If not then your iMac (with builtin screen) would have to be located next to your TV, or you'd need a massively long DVI/etc cable.... makes more sense for the Mac Mini, but of course they didn't include an optical audio out for that, so here we are, still close but not quite there...

Mike

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

PCI-Express Video cards! Woohoo, obviously new powermacs will be out this week.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

My iMac arrived on Monday. New iMacs on Wednesday. Dagnabbit.

Oh well, already have an iSight plus Salling Clicker for a remote control, but the mighty mouse would have been nice and I very much like the look of FrontRow - I hope they make it available separately.

Glad to see iPod in black, looks like a winner but I'm happy with my nano.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 03:20 PM

Anyone know why the new iMac offers 512MB+2GB BTO if you want 2.5GB - does this mean Apple are using two different (physical) RAM modules (again)?

Also - dumb question, but does PCI Express imply the video 'card' is removable?

far200
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 03:33 PM

Looks like a nice upgrade... Ya just a small boost in the CPU speed but a ATI x600 video card with 128 MHZ ram sweet...... Now we can hope that a new powermac and powerbook will come out soon.......

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Will C
Anyone know why the new iMac offers 512MB+2GB BTO if you want 2.5GB - does this mean Apple are using two different (physical) RAM modules (again)?

Not really, there are integrated PCI-Express video products on the PC side, so it's likely soldered on the board and not removable.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Will C

Yes, they are using separate size chips for RAM. Since its not running dual channel doesn't matter, other than being a headache mixing ram. They are just advertising PCI-Express like how they do laptops in the industry. Remember when all used to do the same with the AGP bus on laptops. If the bus is there advertise it, especially if its new to your line up. However, the card isn't upgradable, even though they word it a little vague there.

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 03:48 PM

No built in modem - you can get an external USB modem from Apple.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
Frankly I don't get the "Front Row" software on a iMac... did I miss some way of wirelessly transmitting video?
If not then your iMac (with builtin screen) would have to be located next to your TV, or you'd need a massively long DVI/etc cable.... makes more sense for the Mac Mini, but of course they didn't include an optical audio out for that, so here we are, still close but not quite there...

Mike
Front Row displays the media content on the internal display…

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:50 PM

I also thought PCI Express implies it is a removable card.
Faster DDR2 memory + build in camera + remote + software + thinner + faster.
Plus Bluetooth/Wireless.

That machine is a KILLER beginners computer. I'm going to tell my father-in-law
about it since he's been wanting a new iMac G5 for some time now.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 03:57 PM

They needed to have black ones too.

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 04:16 PM

That's a pretty good deal on the iMac.

I bet we don't see something similar to FrontRow on the Mini until you can do something really neat with it--like download first run or new release movies from the Apple Store to watch on your TV. That might even be another appliance altogether.
i look in your general direction

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 04:20 PM

The 17" at $1299 now has the SuperDrive. Nice...

ibook_steve
Oct 12, 2005, 04:22 PM

PCI Express is just the bus technology. There is no implication that the GPU at the end of that bus must be on a removable card. Chances are it's not, especially since it doesn't look like there would be room for a standard size card.

Yes, Front Row sounds nice but the interface and the media all run on the iMac. Since only VGA mirroring is supported, there's nothing special here besides watching it on your computer instead of on your TV. A G5 Mac mini (yeah, right) and Front Row with DVI to my HDTV with optical audio would be the ultimate! I hope Front Row does become available to put on current mini's or Powerbooks. That would extend it's usefulness.

My biggest question about the new iMacs is the difference in GPUs between the 17" and the 20": ATI X600 Pro vs. XT. There's no mention of the XT chip at ATI's site that I could find. And how do these chips compare to the standard Radeon 9600 and 9650 in the Power Macs.

Steve

theTechyDork
Oct 12, 2005, 04:29 PM

Wow. I just got this iBook, but I'm loving this new 17" iMac 1.9Ghz G5. I might be tempted to actually splurge. The new features are so great...
MacBook White 2GHz 2GB 80GB | iPod 30GB White 5G | Powershot SD700 IS
www.alwaysg5.com - my blog, a female mac & ipod fan.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 04:46 PM

Yeah, doubt the vid card is removable at all, but the fact that the iMac is using PCI Express bodes very, very well for the next rev of Powermacs and for the MacIntels. As for the card, I believe it's a more consumer-oriented revision of the X800 line; if so, it's probably head and shoulders above the power of the 9600/9650 cards. I have a feeling this may be the first iMac where all but a very vocal minority will finally agree that the video card does, in fact, NOT suck.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

P
Oct 12, 2005, 04:48 PM

For the first time I'm glad I didn't wait until the Rev B for buying one. It stinged a bit when the Rev B came, and it stings a bit now, but wow it would have stung if I'd bought a Rev B. Illogical? Maybe.

The graphics card boost isn't really all that big as it looks at first. The X600 is a 9600 with a bridge chip to PCIe. The X600 Pro has a 400 MHz core and 300 Mhz (600 effective) memory, same as the 9600 Pro. The XT seems to have only the memory clock boosted, to 370 MHz (740 effective), although some claim that the core is boosted to 500 MHz. as well ATi has been known to adjust those ratings a bit for Apple anyway, so it may not be completely accurate. Never saw a test that showed a significant advantage for PCIe over AGP, so discount that. Basically it's a boost from a 9600 to a 9600 Pro in the low-end and to 9600 XT and a little more in the high-end. Still just 4 pixel pipelines.

P
Oct 12, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
As for the card, I believe it's a more consumer-oriented revision of the X800 line; if so, it's probably head and shoulders above the power of the 9600/9650 cards. I have a feeling this may be the first iMac where all but a very vocal minority will finally agree that the video card does, in fact, NOT suck.
Actually, the consumer edition of the X800 is the X700. The X600 was ATi's first PCIe board and a stopgap solution. You can replace X600 with 9600 in the names and get the same performance, almost (the XT version is boosted a little bit).

And you know that they will complain. In fact, they'd complain with an X700 in there as well, saying it is last generation's board. If it was the king of the hill, the 7800 GTX, they'd complain about not being able to replace it when the 7800 Ultra gets here.

indirstr8s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 05:04 PM

What's the opinion, is the remote a blue tooth remote. Will it work with the old G5 with appropritae software updates ?

nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 05:14 PM

Okay, the new iMac G5 looks cool, as does the ability to use it as a media center (it would be great in my kitchen). But, what about using it as a TV as well? How hard would it have been to put a coaxial cable input on it with a simple TV tuner? Then, I can watch DVDs, look at photos, surf the web, and watch television. This omission seems too obvious for Apple to have left it out.
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by P
Actually, the consumer edition of the X800 is the X700. The X600 was ATi's first PCIe board and a stopgap solution. You can replace X600 with 9600 in the names and get the same performance, almost (the XT version is boosted a little bit).

And you know that they will complain. In fact, they'd complain with an X700 in there as well, saying it is last generation's board. If it was the king of the hill, the 7800 GTX, they'd complain about not being able to replace it when the 7800 Ultra gets here.
Ahh, ok. ATI's naming conventions sometimes get the better of me. Hehe. Gonna stand behind my comment that PCI Express is a very good thing to see showing up, tho.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 05:20 PM

Airport Express VIDEO coming soon to an Apple retail store near year.

Otherwise, this is only really useful for a dorm room or a studio apartment.

ibook_steve
Oct 12, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by nemanirc
Okay, the new iMac G5 looks cool, as does the ability to use it as a media center (it would be great in my kitchen). But, what about using it as a TV as well? How hard would it have been to put a coaxial cable input on it with a simple TV tuner? Then, I can watch DVDs, look at photos, surf the web, and watch television. This omission seems too obvious for Apple to have left it out.
Wasn't it Mr. Jobs who said that when you use a computer, you turn your brain on and when you watch TV, you turn it off (which makes the advertised features of the new video iPod with iTunes 6 very interesting, though the iPod is not technically a computer)? I would be willing to bet that since the failure of the MacTV in the early 90's and Steve's feelings about TV (not shared by me), you will never see a built-in TV tuner in a Mac.

Steve (not Jobs!)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 05:39 PM

Fools! Of course the video is not a "card"!

However, you also overlooked that it has only one DIMM slot. The 512MB is soldered on.

All in all, it is a better machine for less money. An improvement, nonetheless.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
Airport Express VIDEO coming soon to an Apple retail store near year.
Unfortunately 802.11g is too slow for the best of HD video. Didnt steve say this is the year of HD when that sony guy showed the new sony cam? So Airport express vid would be instantly obsolete. Plus quicktime doesnt handle near the video formats that VLC can. Plus wheres the optical out for DD 5.1 ?

I also agree with the other poster, this computer NEEDS TV. That would be SO MUCH better.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor Addict
Plus wheres the optical out for DD 5.1 ?
Here.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:52 PM

Here's hoping they've solved all the capacitor and heat issues. Is the PSU still internal?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 05:58 PM

So it won't be an 802.11g device. Isn't there some next gen wireless in the pipeline?

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 06:25 PM

It looks like the back of the iMac is now convex shaped. Perhaps the edges of the new iMac is thinner than before but the thickness through the middle is probably still the same. Not complaining, just pointing that out.

This update really makes me want to pawn my dual G4 and upgrade now. I was planning on waiting next year for the Intel based Macs but that's a hell of long wait.

todd_norton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by siMac

My iMac arrived on Monday. New iMacs on Wednesday. Dagnabbit.

Oh well, already have an iSight plus Salling Clicker for a remote control, but the mighty mouse would have been nice and I very much like the look of FrontRow - I hope they make it available separately.

Glad to see iPod in black, looks like a winner but I'm happy with my nano.
I posted this one the front page, but I had to ask here also. Does Apple not have any kind of return policy when a new computer comes out? My sister got her imac last week. I think she would love to have this one instead. Do they ever exchange computers?

thanks

Duracell
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 07:11 PM

I'm kicking myself!

I only just got my 20" imac!

Oh well, the camera isn't that important to me but Frontrow looks nice!
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by todd_norton
I posted this one the front page, but I had to ask here also. Does Apple not have any kind of return policy when a new computer comes out? My sister got her imac last week. I think she would love to have this one instead. Do they ever exchange computers?

thanks
Try it. I think they'll accept returns like that if there's a new product within 10 days of purchase or something.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 09:09 PM

I know next to nothing about TV tuners but did a quick google search on "mac TV tuner" and got some products that look like they work.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

webb3201
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

same boat for me. Here is what I was told, I simply bring my system back to the apple store and return with a restock fee of 10%. Nothing different that any other purchase return and it must be done in 14 days. I am going to return my 1499.00 machine purchased MONDAY and buy the 1299. 00 machine. Sucks but thank goodness im still in the 14 day window.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 09:22 PM

PCIe and DDR2 are welcome, but not unexpected.
As usual, Apple's RAM prices are still 50% higher than the high-quality brands.

deermatt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2005, 12:03 AM

wow! im very impressed with the 17inch ! i may buy one next week , they start shipping in 8-10days
photography is beautiful

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
I very much like the look of FrontRow - I hope they make it available separately.
If Apple don't someone will.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 12:29 AM

just ordered mine
17" shipping 3-5 days. I got next day shipping.

also bought the 60 gig iPod, and new dock

and a all-in-printer.

Other good news, I sold my 40 gig iPod this morning on ebay for $300

Gator Lager
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 12:41 AM

I convinced my dad to buy a Mac last week and he purchased a iMac.
and today, a new iMac.
oh well at least he's no longer using a peecee.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 12:54 AM

He may be able to return it and get one of the new models. Or at least get some cash back.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor Addict
Unfortunately 802.11g is too slow for the best of HD video. Didnt steve say this is the year of HD when that sony guy showed the new sony cam? So Airport express vid would be instantly obsolete. Plus quicktime doesnt handle near the video formats that VLC can. Plus wheres the optical out for DD 5.1 ?

I also agree with the other poster, this computer NEEDS TV. That would be SO MUCH better.
The audio-out jack is a hybrid analog/optical one (SPDIF). you can output to 5.1, but you'll almost certainly need an external Dolby 5.1 decoder to hear it properly.

As far as TV functions, it would be hard to make that work. In North America and Japan, you'd need an NTSC tuner; in Europe, a PAL tuner. And of course, if you want to play live HDTV, you'd need a different tuner on top of that. It'd simply be too expensive and probably crowd out the already crowded space inside the computer.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by webb3201
same boat for me. Here is what I was told, I simply bring my system back to the apple store and return with a restock fee of 10%. Nothing different that any other purchase return and it must be done in 14 days. I am going to return my 1499.00 machine purchased MONDAY and buy the 1299. 00 machine. Sucks but thank goodness im still in the 14 day window.
The problem for me is that I bought my iMac at Apple Expo three weeks ago, but it didn't get delivered til Monday. Plus I'm in Europe and we rarely get the same treatment as US customers.

How cruel - I haven't even finished setting it up yet!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 02:52 AM

This is Apple's subtle jump into the 'Media Centre' idea that the PC industry has been pushing for so long now...I mean, it's not a full fledged TV tuner and such, but I do like the idea of a remote. It brings a large sense of familiarity to computers for the average user. People automatically have a visual 'link' to the remote. It's universal, and usually something people use everyday. I also like the fact that it's fully integratable with the new iPod dock and iPod. Very good idea on Apples part; again...simplicity is the most important factor here.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Commodus
As far as TV functions, it would be hard to make that work. In North America and Japan, you'd need an NTSC tuner; in Europe, a PAL tuner. And of course, if you want to play live HDTV, you'd need a different tuner on top of that. It'd simply be too expensive and probably crowd out the already crowded space inside the computer.
Yeah I hadnt thought about the different formats. Frankly, at least for the NA market, I dont see the need for a tuner. Most people have cable with a cable box so a tuner would be useless. I would just like for it to very simply pass the video through to the screen in full or PIP so it could be used as a TV. Playing live HDTV would again require a cable box since its not broadcast over antenna.

Here in France, alot of people just use their buildings antenna so I can see where a tuner would be necessary.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

NaMCo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 04:36 AM

how much thinner is the the new imac?
i've just ripped the new imac dimensions off the apple site, but has anyone got the dimensions of the previous imacs?

just curious since steve didnt actually make a comparison (so im assuming its not a very large difference).

Size and weight (17-inch)
Height: 16.9 inches (43.0 cm)
Width: 16.8 inches (42.6 cm)
Depth: 6.8 inches (17.3 cm)
Weight: 15.5 pounds (7 kg)4

Size and weight (20-inch)
Height: 18.6 inches (47.2 cm)
Width: 19.4 inches (49.3 cm)
Depth: 7.4 inches (18.9 cm)
Weight: 22 pounds (10 kg)4

flgator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 05:29 AM

Thinner is the last thing you want. The G5 gets so hot that the tighter the enclosure the worse the cooling. I suffered from the exploding capacitors and now just wait for my iMac to die again.

Originally Posted by NaMCo
how much thinner is the the new imac?
i've just ripped the new imac dimensions off the apple site, but has anyone got the dimensions of the previous imacs?

just curious since steve didnt actually make a comparison (so im assuming its not a very large difference).

Size and weight (17-inch)
Height: 16.9 inches (43.0 cm)
Width: 16.8 inches (42.6 cm)
Depth: 6.8 inches (17.3 cm)
Weight: 15.5 pounds (7 kg)4

Size and weight (20-inch)
Height: 18.6 inches (47.2 cm)
Width: 19.4 inches (49.3 cm)
Depth: 7.4 inches (18.9 cm)
Weight: 22 pounds (10 kg)4

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by flgator
Thinner is the last thing you want.
Given that there have been known heat issues with the existing iMacs I doubt very much whether Apple would have made the new iMac thinner without addressing these issues. They are not stupid. Time will tell whether they have managed to solve this problem completely or just reduce it...

P
Oct 13, 2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Paco Loco
Given that there have been known heat issues with the existing iMacs I doubt very much whether Apple would have made the new iMac thinner without addressing these issues. They are not stupid. Time will tell whether they have managed to solve this problem completely or just reduce it...
It's just thinner around the edges. In the center, it's actually thicker. Presumably that's where the hot parts sit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules