Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ram: How much is enough?

Ram: How much is enough?
Bill Kinkle
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 08:24 AM

So I have had my quad for about a month and need to put some RAM in it. I primarily use it for video editing and DVD designing (FCP and DVDSP respectively). I would like to toy around with Motion and learn it as well, but by no means is it my primary app. With this in mind, how much RAM should I load it up with? 4 GB, 8GB or higher? TIA.
Quad G5 1.5 gig 12 inch PB Lots of other stuff.

http://www.billkinkle.com

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 09:11 AM

For video and stuff like Motion, 2GB is a minimum. 4GB is confortable, it allows decent lenght RAM previews in After Effects amongst other thing. I added 4GB to the 512MB in my Quad and so far so good.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 11:15 AM

Here is a question for you... spending the extra money for ECC ram... is it worth it? I'll be doing video, photo editing and some digital art. Should I spend the extra cash on 4 gigs of ECC memory??

new newton
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 02:06 PM

No.

As to how much memory is necessary, I'd suggest using Activity Monitor. If you've got considerable page outs, then more memory would certainly be advisable. If youv'e got 0, more memory won't make a lick of difference.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
Here is a question for you... spending the extra money for ECC ram... is it worth it? I'll be doing video, photo editing and some digital art. Should I spend the extra cash on 4 gigs of ECC memory??
For the price and a domestic use, ECC RAM is not worth it. It's mostly for critical 24/7 server application.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 05:18 PM

So I won't be kicking myself in the ass if I BTO 4 gigs of non-ECC Ram when ordering my PowerMac?

new newton
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 07:23 PM

No. You'd be wasting money if you were to buy it.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 11:22 PM

Thanks for your help guys...

reader50
Administrator
Mar 8, 2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
So I won't be kicking myself in the ass if I BTO 4 gigs of non-ECC Ram when ordering my PowerMac?
You will be wasting a lot of money to get 4 gigs of BTO RAM from Apple, of any variety. Instead, get the minimum configuration and buy the 4 GB from someone reputable.

For what you'd pay Apple for that upgrade, you could get 8 gigs from other good sources, and still have change left over.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 12:00 PM

Fraid to say it, reader50 is right. Apple charge way too much. But at least it is only 4Gb, imagine if you had gone the whole hog for 16GiB!

Yeah ECC is for 24/7, mission critical type stuff, or super computing clusters.

Whatever RAM you do get, make sure to get 2GiB (or at least 1GiB) modules. It will save you down the line when you will inevitably want to upgrade to 8GiB or 16GiB.

Rule of thumb is generally to get the most you can afford, but I think maybe the quad cores are an exception Honestly, 16GiB is a little large.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules