Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > wait for leopard?....

wait for leopard?....
eddie2369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 03:23 PM

As I'm going back to UNI soon and moving to a new flat, I'm planning to buy the new iMac.
However, should I wait till october for leopard? or should I get it now?

another question is.. How much does 'tiger' users have to pay for leopard?

Many Thanks for your help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by eddie2369 View Post
As I'm going back to UNI soon and moving to a new flat, I'm planning to buy the new iMac.

Leopard is a $129 upgrade; $69 or 79 for students, I forget.

The iMac was just upgraded, so it's a good time to buy, even if the graphics card disappoints.
( Last edited by mduell; Aug 22, 2007 at 06:42 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 07:11 PM

If you now already have a computer that you can use for your work, then wait for Leopard of course.

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 08:38 AM

But a similar question - a friend of mine is going to be buying her first Mac. She knows about Leopard. What she wants to know is when can she buy a Mac and not have to pay for Leopard. Obviously she can wait until it's preinstalled, but doesn't Apple have a policy of something like 30 or 60 days? If she buys one now and they release Leopard in 29 days, she gets a free upgrade?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 08:54 AM

Usually when Apple announces the exact day of the release of the new system the day of that announcement is the first day that qualifies for the free (+ shipping) upgrade. And they usually announce the exact day of release about a month ahead.

So until your friend reads "Leopard will ship on xx.xx.2007 and all purchases from now on qualify for a free upgrade to it (+ shipping)" on Apple's webpage she will not get a free upgrade.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 09:00 AM

Many Thanks for your help.
I'd say get the iMac now and enjoy it now, you'll be spending from $1,200 to $2,400 hundred. I'd not worry about spending another hundred or so for Leopard when it comes out. If you wait till October and then find out it will be November, December, etc what will you do?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 09:17 AM

IMHO, it's ALWAYS going to be a cat an mouse game regarding such an upgrade. I would buy it now so you have a computer day one of uni.

By the time Leopard comes around... you will "only" be a few months away from a iMac upgrade... and when that comes out... you will "only" be a few months away from... bla bla bla.

Don't get caught up in the waiting game if you need the computer. If you are fine waiting... wait, but I wouldn't let Leopard hold back a purchase. $69 isn't bad for a student upgrade.

eddie2369  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a macbook pro myself, so I could rely on that till october.
I just wanted a desktop day one from starting UNI and see if the upgrade will be expensive or not?

Anyone know the price of an upgrade in the UK?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 07:19 PM

Anyone know the price of an upgrade in the UK?
If you look at the Apple Store online (), it's £89.00 regularly or £58.75 for students.

mandmowichita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I'd say get the iMac now and enjoy it now, you'll be spending from $1,200 to $2,400 hundred. I'd not worry about spending another hundred or so for Leopard when it comes out. If you wait till October and then find out it will be November, December, etc what will you do?
Good god man, apparently you don't work for any company that wants to sell alot of computers? $1,200 - 2,400 may not be much for you, but for "the rest of us" that is a considerable investment. Just reading through the MacNN Forums this morning (trying to find a fix for Flash problems) - I don't hear much sympathy here for "average users."

If I heard about a new start up company that would be selling basic e-machines with a word-processing program, maybe spreadsheet & slide programs, I would immediately invest in that company. THEN, I'd anxiously await them shipping their first machines so I could dump my high-powered (mid-priced) Macs and PCs, and VISTAs and Leopard crap.

Maybe I would feel differently if basic stuff would work without hogging mega system resources, always requiring another damn hardware or software upgrade everytime I turn around. Crap, I'll probably get for this little rant, but I see very little help for the average user on MacNN Forum anyway.

Blah, blah, blah high-end users with nothing to really accomplish except getting one or two sub-routines to work a little better or a little different for more $$$$ ? Yeah, like I want to invest my whole freaking weekend to read your bloated-ego banter and then follow miles of code to fix little cosmetic problems on entertainment features.

. . . and some wonder why the U.S./world economy is in the crapper? Gollllllly Andy, I hear Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are going to grind up old computer parts and un-used software boxes to mix with mah cornflakes - just to make them crunchier (and to improve the resolution of the fricking photo on the box). Shazam, cain't wait to go out and throw them some money.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mandmowichita View Post
Good god man, apparently you don't work for any company that wants to sell alot of computers? $1,200 - 2,400 may not be much for you, but for "the rest of us" that is a considerable investment. Just reading through the MacNN Forums this morning (trying to find a fix for Flash problems) - I don't hear much sympathy here for "average users."
You're right I don't work for company that wants to sell a lot of computers. In fact I don't work for a computer company at all.

You missed my point. If you're going to spend that much [on a new computer] why quibble on spending a hundred bucks for leopard. If that's too much for you then wait.

You seem to have some anger issues, relax, after all it is only a computer and if you don't want to spend that much money, that's your business.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If you look at the Apple Store online (), it's £89.00 regularly or £58.75 for students.
Note, the Higher Ed Apple store (online) in the UK gives a better discount than the normal Education store, but you have to make your purchase from your university's network. This is true for hardware purchases as well, so I would wait until October anyway as you will save even more money buying your new Mac then.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 10:38 AM

Good god man, apparently you don't work for any company that wants to sell alot of computers? $1,200 - 2,400 may not be much for you, but for "the rest of us" that is a considerable investment.
Yes, most of which will be spent either way. That's the point. It's a big investment, and the cost of Leopard is fairly minor by comparison. If you want to save the extra hundred bucks, you're free to wait. People here were just offering their take on the situation: They would prefer to have a good computer already and pay a small percentage extra when they decide to upgrade.

Just reading through the MacNN Forums this morning (trying to find a fix for Flash problems) - I don't hear much sympathy here for "average users."
And what are "average users," then? Rude people who come into random threads and scream about how the free expert advice they're getting isn't in exactly the form they'd prefer?

If I heard about a new start up company that would be selling basic e-machines with a word-processing program, maybe spreadsheet & slide programs, I would immediately invest in that company.
I think it's called Dell.

Maybe I would feel differently if basic stuff would work without hogging mega system resources, always requiring another damn hardware or software upgrade everytime I turn around.
It does. I'm writing this post on an old Mac that's far less powerful than even the shittiest computer out now. I have even worse computers that also still work just as well running the exact same programs as they did the day I got them. Do they run new software well? No. Do they run old software better than new hardware? Mostly no. But it's not like they've gotten worse over time. If you're no longer happy with the machine you purchased, that's your deal.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I can't find Leopard prices at my Apple Store...? Where is it?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 10:09 AM

Look up Tiger, smart guy. SJobs announced at a keynote that Leopard would be the same price. You can confirm that at Amazon: Amazon.com: Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard: Software

Forum Links
Forum Rules