Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Hands-on with the iPhone 5: beautiful, lighter and better

Hands-on with the iPhone 5: beautiful, lighter and better
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 20, 2012, 08:59 PM

Electronista has spent some time with the iPhone 5 and can confirm that it is the best iPhone yet. While that might seem inevitable, as Apple has discovered with its new Maps app, change is not always a positive thing. Despite this embarrasing launch hiccup, the iPhone 5 remains at the pinnacle of hardware and software engineering -- we even like the new Lightning connector. The iPhone 5 simply looks and feels beautiful, yet retains a sense of solidity in its construction: there is no cheap plastic creaking or chassis flex to be found.

As some commentators have noted, seeing the iPhone 5 in photos does not really it do it justice. Picking it up and feeling how light it is immediately rekinnkdled the sense of excitement that was missing when we picked up the iPhone 4S for the first time. Both the white and black models are equally attractive, and will perhaps be the hardest decision for those already committed to buying one. The longer display is also a highlight. The colors are indeed richer and more saturated which is most noticeable when looking at photos and watching movies. Ergonomically, it is slightly less comfortable to use when entering URL's in Safari, but it should be fine for most people - we find it hard to see Apple stretching this display out any further from a purely ergonomic perspective, especially if it wants to retain the one-handed ease of operation. Although the new Lightning connector has caused some consternation, not least of which is because Apple is charging users who need the Lightning to 30-pin adapter for legacy peripherals. However, we found it to be a revelation. It is ability to fit in either way, without having to reverse it is a boon - we can see why Apple opted for this over microUSB, if that was ever a consideration for it. It is also faster than the 30-pin adapter, but it we haven't benchmarked the difference yet to confirm this. The other notable change is the repositioning of the headphone port to the underside of the device. This also works extremely well when walking with the iPhone 5 in your hand as the cord hangs out of the way without needing to be draped across your arm. The new EarPods are also outstanding. When you think that it can be purchased separately for the same $30 price as the 30-pin adapter, it makes for excellent buying. They are light years ahead of the old earbuds for sound quality. On that note, the audio quality of the new iPhone 5 is also top-notch. We are keen to find out what audio processing Apple is using for the new iPhone 5, because its audio reproduction is superb. While we agree that Apple could do more to refresh the look and feel of iOS, iOS 6 brings many significant improvements (the dubious accuracy of Maps app aside). Facebook integration, like Twitter before it, is now system-wide. The new Passbook app looks like it has great potential even without NFC, while the improvements to Photostream and the introduction of Panorama in the Camera app are also worthwhile improvements. It also retains its overall slickness and ease-of use that is still yet to be matched by its biggest competitor in Google's Android OS -- although Google has made huge strides in the past twelve months, iOS is still clearly ahead in this area. Stay tuned for our full review of the iPhone 5, which is on its way!

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2012, 06:28 AM

Ordered mine on Sunday morning from AT&T and was anticipating a 2-3 week delay. But it's in Seattle and will be delivered to my workplace today.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2012, 06:40 AM

I can't wait to get mine, but the thing I can't understand is why all the reviews and reviewers so far have chosen the black one. It's pretty hideous compared to the white model which is a "purer" design and absolutely stunning from what I can see. Is it just because most techies are still boys (or girls that are boys inside)?

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2012, 09:10 AM

I went with white. I've had enough of black phones for a while. I don't like black guitars either.

testudo
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2012, 10:20 AM

However, we found it to be a revelation. It is ability to fit in either way, without having to reverse it is a boon - we can see why Apple opted for this over microUSB, if that was ever a consideration for it. It is also faster than the 30-pin adapter, but it we haven't benchmarked the difference yet to confirm this.
Really? A 'revelation'? A 'boon'? It's a connector, for crying out loud. At worst it is a slight irritation to have to flip a cable. You make it sound like it is the greatest invention since Apple released the iPod itself.

testudo
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
but the thing I can't understand is why all the reviews and reviewers so far have chosen the black one. It's pretty hideous compared to the white model which is a "purer" design and absolutely stunning from what I can see. Is it just because most techies are still boys (or girls that are boys inside)?
Yes, that must be it. It can't be that they have different tastes than you. If you find the design 'purer' (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean), then everyone should be getting white, should they not.

In fact, why aren't you castrating Apple for even releasing a black one, since it is obviously so inferior in appearance that it doesn't even deserve the Apple logo?

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 21, 2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
I can't wait to get mine, but the thing I can't understand is why all the reviews and reviewers so far have chosen the black one. It's pretty hideous compared to the white model which is a "purer" design and absolutely stunning from what I can see. Is it just because most techies are still boys (or girls that are boys inside)?
As Testudo said, that is a pretty subjective comment. But I will agree that I like the white design too... yet my personal combination requires two iJunk 5s, the product red body with the black face.... yeah, I won't buy any though. Maybe i'll get the ipod Touch; less privacy tracking... fool 'em easier.

And by "maybe get"... I do mean someone will have to gift it to me.

graxspoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2012, 05:19 PM

Given how easy it is to scratch, I think Apple should have had a third 'color': natural. The iPhone would look great in natural brushed silver/aluminum. I wouldn't walk around with either the black or the white without a case, so who cares what color it is?

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 27, 2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post
Given how easy it is to scratch, I think Apple should have had a third 'color': natural. The iPhone would look great in natural brushed silver/aluminum. I wouldn't walk around with either the black or the white without a case, so who cares what color it is?
Yup, that natural look would look great with a little mercury spilled onto it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules