Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > 13-inch MacBook Pro allegedly slowed by Retina yields

13-inch MacBook Pro allegedly slowed by Retina yields
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 11, 2012, 09:00 AM

Trouble with manufacturing Retina displays is hampering the introduction of a new 13-inch MacBook Pro, claims DigiTimes. Shipments of the computer are said to have been slated for September, but "weak yields" of Retina screens allegedly pushed them into October. Production problems are also reportedly affecting two other products, namely a new iMac and a 7.85-inch iPad, more commonly nicknamed the iPad mini. Like the 13-inch Pro, delays pushed shipments a month over into October.

The Mini is "suffering low yields for components such as the display and chassis," DigiTimes suggests. The publication adds that while the tablet uses a chassis with material similar to the 9.7-inch iPad it has a different "design and tactile feel," without going into any more detail. Although DigiTimes has a mixed track record, Retina displays have been widely reported as a major production obstacle for Apple since the iPhone 4. Issues have only recently been sorted out for the iPhone 5, which may allow Apple to finally catch up with demand.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2012, 09:18 AM

I hate to create rumors, but with global PC sales down and ongoing production of the 15" Retina screen from LG and Samsung, I don't see how hard it could be to produce the smaller 13" display.

Unless the new MacBook Pro is using a new low-power Retina IGZO display from Sharp. The new IGZO technology might have caused yield issues for Sharp. If the IGZO display is used, the 13" MacBook Pro could have a much smaller battery and a very low profile (similar to the MacBook Air). Of course, I am just speculating.

testudo
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zanziboy View Post
I hate to create rumors, but with global PC sales down and ongoing production of the 15" Retina screen from LG and Samsung, I don't see how hard it could be to produce the smaller 13" display.
Smaller isn't always 'easier'. A retina display has to have not just so many pixels per inch, but apple I'm sure is insisting on a specific resolution (say 1200x720 or whatever 720p or 1080p would be resolution-wise). As such, they aren't making the 'same display, just not as big', but as likely trying to make 'the same display in capability, just smaller'. And we know shrinking stuff isn't always the easiest thing in the world.

Then again, I'm also still laughing at all the iPad mini rumors. Not believing it here, nope. Too much discussion for Apple, they like to be secret.

Forum Links
Forum Rules