Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD-RW in next Rev Ti?

CD-RW in next Rev Ti?
snitty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 06:43 PM

I hope this alredy hasn't been discussed. But how about the possibility of having a CD RW in the next Revision of the PowerBook G4 Titanium? It would get them on the "CD-RW thing" that they missed, and give them something that most other laptops have, I'll admit a CD-RW/DVD (no R) sounds a little better, but I really don't want to lug around a �QUE! with me when I want to burn a CD. . .
-----------------------------
Ben Snitkoff
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

hotani
Senior User
Feb 6, 2001, 07:22 PM

i will put in a vote for a CDRW/DVD drive on the next Ti. I think Rev 2 is the time to buy anyway, and that would be a nice plus!

------------------
PowerBook G3 266/128
Darwin 1.2/OS X PB/OS 8.6
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2001, 07:23 PM

you'll end up having to lug around a second or third back-up battery if you want to be able to burn CDs from a laptop.

snitty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 12:24 PM

The idea isn't to burn on a plane. it's too keep you from having to loose all your data without an extra drive. You would be hooking it into power, it's more for convienance then actually burning while moving.

Ben
Ben Snitkoff
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

blorntso
Feb 7, 2001, 12:30 PM

The new Vaios have it...
but they are two inches thick and weigh over 7 pounds.

jack daddy
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2001, 05:02 PM

hey guys, would you rather have a cd-rw at apple's prices, and drag it along with you everywhere you go? i mean they will cost a full 400 bux more for just a 1" cdrw (that might not be above 4x,sony is only 4x) for this thang not including the full array of stuff a apple customer buys with his tit book. wouldn't it be smart to just get a external 8x for all the reasons you guys mentioned for 2-300 bux? i mean the tit book is nice for it too, that firewire port is there for a reason.

snitty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 09:17 PM

what is the point in getting a 1" thick computer if you need to lug around a powered 5" thick CD RW?! I know I rather not have that in my backpack with my power thing, it's bad enough that I will have to put the cute yo-yo Power Adapter in that pack. And knowing apple with their CD-RW sratagy, chances are a CD -RW with be standard and the CD RW /DVD would be optional. And for speed, suck it up, I have a 4x4x16 SCSI and it works fine, you need to remember most CD-RW stock doesn't record faster than 6x or 8x.
Ben Snitkoff
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 09:30 PM

The next rev. will have a CD-RW and DVD hybrid, after all Apple would never get rid of DVD on a laptop not after how much of a cool feature it is, and that monitor why take it away? Either that or they will do what they WILL do with the G4s, BTO CD-RW or DVD. But I doubt it will come to that. One thing to consider is that that thing really sucks battery power, well it's Apple they will figure it out.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2001, 09:57 PM

Personally, I seriously doubt Apple will be able to provide laptop, slot loading DVD/CD-RW hybrid drives... Considering the money they already have to put into that thing and those drives probably not exsisting yet... Then It's bound to be DVD again. Personally, I find for a laptop, having DVD is a better choice.... But that's just me.

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 10:17 PM

Apple has a large (larger then on the consumer models) margin on the Prof. line. DVD/CDRW would not be a huge change. I expect at MW SF '02. At least I can hope

snitty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2001, 07:45 AM

I would have to agree, if you buy enough of anything you can get it as cheap as something else. . . well, within reason of course. Apple will buy a crud load of these, and they'll be the same ones that go into the iMac so there will be dozens more for every one they get for a powerbook. My guess is that either in the DV + and/or DV SE with have a simmilar CD-RW/DVD slot loading drive.
Ben Snitkoff
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2001, 07:59 AM

I guess we would all love to see the super dirve but it probably is in development for the Ti 1 year 2 years before release?

I find carring 'that yo-yo" is about all I want as well so burn cd's and watch DVD in one drive sounds really cool to me.

qnctv.com
Take a look...

snitty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2001, 04:26 PM

So it's decided:

Steve,

By populat decree you must but the CD-RW/DVD drive in the Ti. You have no choice in the matter. If you donot you will be beaten with blunt NeXt Cubes and PIII processors.

Mac Users
Ben Snitkoff
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

thomas_a
Feb 9, 2001, 05:16 PM

For a relatively small CDRW, head over to:
http://www.archos.com/zone_a/products/product_5.html

Some nut is selling the the 4*4*24X version for $150 on eBay, so get 'em now until they run out. I'll post reactions as soon as I get mine Tuesday.

There. Problem solved

Forum Links
Forum Rules