Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > KDE and SuSE

KDE and SuSE
snitty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 05:21 PM

I just installed SuSE on my Beige G3, becuase I couldn't get OS X to install. So, anyway. First, is there a Linux and Mac forum that is a tad more active anywhere? Just for future referance.

Now for my question. On Suse(7.1) kernal 2.2.18 running KDE 2, I wanted to install Acqua from kde.themes.org but it dosen't work like it says it should. Can anyone help me out here. It says just to run the two programs, and then go into themes manager under look and feel, but it ain't there after running those two apps.

Thanks

Ben
-----------------------------
Ben Snitkoff
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

plavigna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2001, 01:50 AM

You may not get too much action on your question, so I'll give it a shot.

I have Linux-Mandrake w/KDE2 on two Macs and the Acqua theme works fine (same on the PCs), so I'll review how to install it just in case you missed something:

1) Extract the archives. This creates two new folders in your home
directory: Acqua-Graphite-2.1-Theme and Acqua-Graphite-2.x-Style

2) In a terminal, change to the Acqua-Graphite-2.1-Theme directory and
type: ./theme-install.sh

3) Then change to the Acqua-Graphite-2.x-Style directory and type:
./style-install.sh

If all went well, the two new themes should appear in the KDE Control Center under LookNFeel > Theme Manager.

--

As to your other question, the newsgroup comp.os.linux.powerpc has some good discussions, but people who run Linux on Macs seem to be quite a small minority. Hopefully this will change soon as more people get exposed to the Unix side of Mac OSX and feel like trying other Unix-like operating systems.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules