Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't read Sony Mavica disks on G4 iMac

Can't read Sony Mavica disks on G4 iMac
John_Engels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 12:34 AM

I use a Sony Mavica MVC-CD200 which records pictures on a 2.5" CD-R. Pictures can be downloaded to a Mac with Adaptec UDF Volume Access, which is a UDF 1.5-compliant File System. You need it if you wish to read closed ("finalized") Adaptec DirectCD� discs in a CD-ROM drive. It is a system extension, and it worked great on my beige G4/400�but my new G4 iMac does not recognize the disk. I don't know if this is to be the way it is, or if there is some solution out there, in Apple's mind, or in a third party's plans. Does anyone have any information or experience concerning this matter? (The Mavica does not download via USB to a Mac.)

morgan
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2002, 09:19 AM

These disks don't work on my G4/867 either. I've got the superdrive in mine, I wonder if it's a function of what kind of drive you have?

John_Engels  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 06:02 PM

I think you're right. Fortunately I kept my old machine...now I download the disks to it, then using a crossover ethernet cable set up a LAN and copy them to the iMac. I thought I was really smart, getting rid of the floppy version of the Mavica, but...

gpalmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 10:45 PM

Hey Guys,

I have the exact same camera and mine works fine. I was having the same problem for a while until I went to the apple web site to find an answer. The reason your camera dosnt work now is that there is a a setting on your camera that needs to be changed to work with USB. Turn your camera on without it being plugged into USB. Go to Setup. Scroll down to the Setup 2 screen... last one. If you notice there is a USB Connect setting in your screen. It should read normal at first. You need to change that to say PTP. That's it!!! I stumbled over this for days trying everything. I can download to iPhoto and Image Capture. Let me know if you have any other problems.

Good luck
Greg Palmer

John_Engels  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 11:43 AM

Thanks so much...I haven't got the camera with me, but you speak with authority! Can't wait to get home and try it out.
Originally posted by gpalmer:
<STRONG>Hey Guys,

I have the exact same camera and mine works fine. I was having the same problem for a while until I went to the apple web site to find an answer. The reason your camera dosnt work now is that there is a a setting on your camera that needs to be changed to work with USB. Turn your camera on without it being plugged into USB. Go to Setup. Scroll down to the Setup 2 screen... last one. If you notice there is a USB Connect setting in your screen. It should read normal at first. You need to change that to say PTP. That's it!!! I stumbled over this for days trying everything. I can download to iPhoto and Image Capture. Let me know if you have any other problems.

Good luck
Greg Palmer</STRONG>

John_Engels  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 06:06 PM

That was it, that was the answer. What would we do without the Forums and people who read them and respond as you did? Thanks again.

Originally posted by gpalmer:
<STRONG>Hey Guys,

Good luck
Greg Palmer</STRONG>

Arakageeta256
Feb 21, 2002, 08:22 PM

The Mavica CDs can't be read by OS X because it is in an unsupported format. I posted that almost a year ago-- didn't get any attention though... *sigh*

But that's awesome about getting the USB to work. I had never managed to get it to work before.

John_Engels  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 07:11 AM

I have it working at last. Start the camera in SETUP, go to SETUP 2 (the last one, with the up and down arrows icon), go down to USB CONNECT and change it from NORMAL to PTP. Then hook it up with the USB cable to the computer, and sit back. The computer opens up in Image Capture, where you can set it to open in iPhoto if you want. Image Capture is better, because you can choose which pictures you want to download. .iPhoto requires that everything be downloaded every time. You can import to iPhoto from Image Capture. Anyway, everything�s working like a charm. No more juggling the disk into the CD-Rom after �finalizing� it. You don�t have to finalize it, just snap away, and then hook up the camera. Good luck.

John_Engels  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2002, 07:14 AM

I forgot to thank gpalmer again...this is his solution, and I've just unnecessarily repeated it. But he ought to get a gold medal for this one!

Forum Links
Forum Rules