Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows XP Help

Windows XP Help
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jun 26, 2009, 09:37 AM

Hey guys, we just had an employee leave and for some reason when you turn on his computer it immediately states "Enter CURRENT Password:" It doesn't go into the BIOS or anything else. Is there anyway to get around this. I've searched MS' website along with some google searches. Maybe I need to Bing it.

BTW this is immediately at startup.
( Last edited by iranfromthezoo; Jun 26, 2009 at 09:51 AM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 10:39 AM

The BIOS has been configured to password-protect the machine's boot process - it's not going to go through POST until you put in the proper password.

There are some different ways you can fix this:

How to Reset / Remove / Bypass a BIOS or CMOS Password? - Tweaking with Vishal

Taking out the CMOS battery is probably going to be the easiest way to get around it. It'll reset the system clock (which will set properly once you get online and it connects to either NIST's or Microsoft's date and time server), as well as all the BIOS settings - including the startup password.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2009, 10:59 AM

I'm with shiuf. Pull the CMOS battery and let the machine sit for half an hour (some systems have a big honkin' capacitor to maintain CMOS while you change the battery). That will clear the CMOS settings completely, including any BIOS boot password.

Your former employee apparently thought he was being clever. One does not accidentally set a BIOS boot password, and one doesn't do it without some reason. What that reason may be is up in the air right now, but having a computer security background, I tend to be suspicious of such things. The ex-employee may have been doing something he shouldn't, something that could be anything from surfing pr0n on the job to downloading the kind of "pr0n" one gets put in prison for, to selling company secrets on the web. You may want to have someone examine the computer's hard drive. I'd pull the drive while the case is open, and hand it over to someone qualified to forensically examine it. DO NOT START THE COMPUTER WITH THAT HARD DRIVE INSTALLED unless you're ready to accept that doing so WILL destroy any evidence.

Yeah, I'm cynical, but I'm right more often than I'm wrong. And this has the potential to be a very serious thing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 11:14 AM

This.

No employee should be setting a boot password on a company computer unless they have something to hide.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2009, 11:23 AM

GH this is actually our old fire chief who was asked to leave after the fire department wanted him gone. So he left and won't tell anyone the password. We need to get a program off the computer so will this destroy everything on the computer.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2009, 01:17 PM

As long as you know something about him, and don't have ANY concerns, then go for it. Clearing the CMOS memory will not in any way affect the programs (or anything else) stored on the hard drive. If he's just being a jerk, that puts things in a very different light.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules