Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple announces iPhone OS 4 event 8th April

Apple announces iPhone OS 4 event 8th April (Page 3)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I should say "lock-screen" widgets.
Yes, that makes sense now.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
To spite you.
I dunno. You have to wonder what their hardware refresh cycle for the iPad is going to be - as in when will the next iteration occur. It seems somewhat crazy to have three different cycles for their mobile products (January, July, September). I wonder if a staggered OS release will help it seem like less time has passed since an iPad refresh should they move it to coincide with one of their other mobile products.

Yes, I am talking out of my ass.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 03:27 PM

Yes you're talking out of your ass, but that's what these forums are for. Personally I'll be surprised if they update the iPad's hardware more than once per year.

So, no new iPad until 2011.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 03:28 PM

I think it has to do with the galactic plane and moon cycles.

All I know is that I hope the next iPhone has a front facing camera and a decent espresso maker.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 03:29 PM

Well, before you had 4 slots in the dock + 176 slots for apps which equals 180 total.

Now they say you can have 2,160 apps total. 180 x 9 = 1,620 so something doesn't ad up.

I'm guessing the number per folder is 12.

2160 divided by 180 = 12

2160 divided by 9 = 240. 240-4 (dock icons) would equal 14.75 folders of 9 each. It's not a round number.

If you look here, it would make sense that the folder would contain a number divisible by 4, and it looks like 12 would fit nicely.

Maybe a folder of 12 makes the little icons even smaller and into a 4x4 grid on the icon itself. Or maybe it just displays the first 9. Who knows. At any rate, my guess is 12.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So, no new iPad until 2011.
I'm not implying a hardware revision in the fall of 2010. I'm implying you won't get on till July or Fall of 2011. Over a year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 03:30 PM

I'm curious how the smart naming will deal with one game and one internet app.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
WTF: No multitasking on the iPad? That must just be an omission, right?

"iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."
It's gotta be an omission.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm curious how the smart naming will deal with one game and one internet app.
I guess there's a chance that it will dismiss the request because of too few items.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 03:33 PM

Is there video of this presentation somewhere?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 03:47 PM

It'll be up on Apple.com later today.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 03:53 PM

Home screen widgets?

I'm a little curious at to why the iPad gets updated in the Fall.
I hate to always be the one chiming in to cite Gruber, but I think he had the right idea: the people working on the 4.0 branch of iPhone OS didn’t get to see the iPad. Now that the latter is out in the open, it'll take some time for them to merge.

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's gotta be an omission.
According to this Macworld report, it is:

Originally Posted by Macworld
iPhone 4.0 won’t be available for the newly released iPad until the fall.
From speculation by Gruber, he posits that the iPhone OS team had no idea their OS was going to be used in the iPad, hence the lack of simultaneous release for the two devices. It's speculated that the two forks will join back up with iPhone OS 4.1's release but for now, the two devices have two different OS release schedules.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I hate to always be the one chiming in to cite Gruber, but I think he had the right idea: the people working on the 4.0 branch of iPhone OS didn’t get to see the iPad. Now that the latter is out in the open, it'll take some time for them to merge.
It's all good, I don't read him regularly. It's a good theory.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 04:14 PM

I'm not implying a hardware revision in the fall of 2010. I'm implying you won't get on till July or Fall of 2011. Over a year.
Possibly, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a new iPad well before that (albeit still in 2011).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 04:16 PM

Neither would I. Maybe they like the idea of three staggered events over the year to keep their name in the news (and the rumor mill active all year long).

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2010, 04:36 PM

I have a question.
At the moment double clicking goes either to your phone contacts if music is not playing or if music is playing brings up a pop up dialog.
How are we supposed to bring these features now that double clicking is reserved for multitasking?
I'm using double clicking, especially for music all the time so I'll be disappointed to see it go away.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2010, 04:37 PM

They didn't price this today, did they? Hmmm...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by phobos View Post
I have a question.
At the moment double clicking goes either to your phone contacts if music is not playing or if music is playing brings up a pop up dialog.
How are we supposed to bring these features now that double clicking is reserved for multitasking?
I'm using double clicking, especially for music all the time so I'll be disappointed to see it go away.
I do like the double tap to open up the phone. In fact, I removed the phone from my dock since I only go to it by double tapping.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 04:46 PM

How/when does an app quit? If apps include the fast-switching API do they just keep piling up in the switcher? There must be some way to send an app to the background vs. just quitting the app. Anyone with the dev release have some insight?

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I do like the double tap to open up the phone. In fact, I removed the phone from my dock since I only go to it by double tapping.
I have no idea what you're talking about...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 04:51 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about...
You wrote: "At the moment double clicking goes either to your phone contacts if music is not playing..."

That's the only way I get to my phone application anymore, so I'm also going to miss it when double tapping invokes multitasking.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
How/when does an app quit? If apps include the fast-switching API do they just keep piling up in the switcher? There must be some way to send an app to the background vs. just quitting the app. Anyone with the dev release have some insight?
According to Jobs that's all handled by the OS - you don't have to quit anything. But I would think that if you need to force quit something you can do it the same way as you can now.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2010, 04:53 PM

You wrote: "At the moment double clicking goes either to your phone contacts if music is not playing..."

That's the only way I get to my phone application anymore, so I'm also going to miss it when double tapping invokes multitasking.
Got ya!
Hope they keep the feature somehow. I guess having only one button doesn't help a lot.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 05:13 PM

According to Jobs that's all handled by the OS - you don't have to quit anything. But I would think that if you need to force quit something you can do it the same way as you can now.
But I don't want 50 apps in my switcher. There has to be a way to quit the apps I want to quit.

Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 05:23 PM

I would assume it quits the apps that aren't using any of the 7 background processes.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 05:31 PM

Double clicking goes to whatever you set it to. Double clicking on mine brings up the camera.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I would assume it quits the apps that aren't using any of the 7 background processes.
But what about save states and what not. Every app supports that. I dunno. Maybe you can set that stuff up in preferences.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 05:34 PM

But what about save states and what not. Every app supports that. I dunno. Maybe you can set that stuff up in preferences.
Exactly. One of the background 'processes' was fast-switching and presumably just about every app will take advantage of that.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 05:38 PM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 05:53 PM

No multi-task for me, so I definitely need that new summer 2010 iPhone.

This iPhone 3G is excruciating slow anyways. Reminds me of my old iBook G3, when TiBook G4s were available.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 06:16 PM

Call me crazy, but I honestly don't care much about multi-tasking. I mean, I guess it might be nice, but it's really not a big deal.

I had an extended "discussion" about this with an android fan and was able to switch between apps by quitting and restarting just as fast as they were able to multi-task though them. I could go from mail to safari back to mail faster then he could.

I don't use Pandora though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 06:18 PM

Screenshots of iPhone OS 4 appear online | iLounge News

(no setting to turn off landscape in the iPod setting screen = LAME)

Ado
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2010, 06:20 PM

Disappointing to say the least. This whole update was really to facilitate iAds.
This was a "corporate" apple release...

No widget homescreen was a big disappointment for me. Who gives a shit about multitasking, geese man if you are doing too much on your iPhone I have news for you, "get a life"...

I was hoping to get an iphone for the first time and be able to customise it to the way I want. I hate the current iPad and iPhone UI with this old looking gay icons.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 06:22 PM

Aha! You can manually quit apps from the switcher! In a picture about halfway down the following page you will see that the switcher apps can get the 'jiggles' just like home screen apps. I'm guessing that clicking the '-' button will remove them from the switcher and quit them.

Screenshots of iPhone OS 4 appear online | iLounge News

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 06:53 PM

Correct. Hitting the minus quits the app. I guess Apple "blew it."

macfantn
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 07:02 PM

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 07:32 PM

I have a question.
That was one of the first things I tweeted about while reading about multitasking. The home button thing is already confusing enough. Also, don't forget you can set double-click to be a camera shortcut as well. And it’s actually pretty hard for me to know whether I’ll want camera or phone access quicker at any given time.

This is why, way back in some other thread I was saying I kind of wished they had added a few more physical buttons. It’s a cool idea that the screen becomes the whole interface, but it’s also really nice to have a few shortcut buttons that work universally, no matter what app you’re using. The ability to assign favorite apps or functions to a few buttons that you can hit without looking at the screen first would be fantastic for usability. But of course, the single button is iconic, and there’s no going back.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 07:34 PM

The multitasking would be great for my wife, whose parents live in the Caribbean and often call via Skype. But I’m the one with the 3GS.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 08:57 PM

Just watched the entire keynote. I feel like there are going to be a LOT of tweaks will make the "iPhone experience" SOOO much better and it seems like they are loosening the reigns on developers.

On a side note, I love how the keynote ends. "I want to thank you for coming today...." CUTOFF

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 10:13 PM

Call me crazy, but I honestly don't care much about multi-tasking. I mean, I guess it might be nice, but it's really not a big deal.

I had an extended "discussion" about this with an android fan and was able to switch between apps by quitting and restarting just as fast as they were able to multi-task though them. I could go from mail to safari back to mail faster then he could.

I don't use Pandora though.
You're crazy. I agree on an iPhone it's not critical, but it would be nice. On an iPad though, it's critical IMO.

It almost reminds me of the conversations back in the OS 9 / Win 98 days.

These OSes suck. If you run more than a couple of apps, they crash.
Yeah but you don't have to really run them all at the same time.
Ya but it would be nice. I'd like to run Word and Excel at the same time without crashing.
Do you really need to do that though? It's just a luxury but you can only type in one at a time.
Etc.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 10:34 PM

What does the above error mean?

I was trying to show my friend part of the keynote and this popped up...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
No widget homescreen was a big disappointment for me. Who gives a shit about multitasking, geese man if you are doing too much on your iPhone I have news for you, "get a life"...
WTF ?

Who gives a shit about a widget homescreen ?

Get a life.

-t

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2010, 11:30 PM

^^what he said. i don't get the need either. i wish they would drop dashboard from OSX too.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 11:56 PM

1. Wallpaper, yay!
2. Folders(would have preferred "Stacks"), yay!
3. Multitasking... meh. I wont be using multiple third party apps at any one time anyway. Currently, the Phone and iPod multi-tasking sufficed very well. As long as it does not affect battery life, whatever. if it does, i'd like to turn it off.
4. iAd. If i see a single intrusive ad in an app that i have paid for, on a device i have paid for, using a service i have paid for, i will seriously consider switching platforms (PalmPre possibly). Ads in free aps....i can understand. In fact i will not upgrade to 4.0 until info surfaces on iAd and it's terms-of-use/limitations for devs.

Overall..... very incremental in nature, which is fine.... if it ain't broke, why fix it ? I would have liked to see a newer/better UI iteration, but i cant complain.

Cheers

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
4. iAd. If i see a single intrusive ad in an app that i have paid for, on a device i have paid for, using a service i have paid for, i will seriously consider switching platforms (PalmPre possibly). Ads in free aps....i can understand. In fact i will not upgrade to 4.0 until info surfaces on iAd and it's terms-of-use/limitations for devs.
Exactly.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 12:09 AM

Why haven't you switched yet? That's what apps do right now (take the AP app, for example). The whole point of iAd is to NOT do that. iAd has its own API so it won't do what you're talking about. That's why I'm excited about it.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2010, 12:13 AM

Double clicking goes to whatever you set it to. Double clicking on mine brings up the camera.
Yeah but if multitasking overrides this any other function you set up how are you going to get that functionality back?

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why haven't you switched yet? That's what apps do right now (take the AP app, for example). The whole point of iAd is to NOT do that. iAd has its own API so it won't do what you're talking about. That's why I'm excited about it.
He is talking about the paid apps. He doesn't mind having ads on the free ones but he does mind for the paid ones.
He certainly has a point.
( Last edited by phobos; Apr 9, 2010 at 12:53 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 12:51 AM

4. iAd. If i see a single intrusive ad in an app that i have paid for, on a device i have paid for, using a service i have paid for, i will seriously consider switching platforms (PalmPre possibly).

Seriously ? That would be such a dumb move.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 01:19 AM

Seems like a pretty solid release. Finally we get springboard folders, which I started asking for long ago. It will be interesting to see how iAds work out.

I find it funny that now that multitasking has been announced, suddenly the clamored for feature gets switched to a lack of widgets.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules