Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 02:07 PM

A week ago I thought it had some serious potential until it became official.

To me this is hugely unimpressive as it is monstrous and no way I am carrying that huge thing around when I got an iPhone in my pocket with 3G.

This killed it for me:

"It's not great, but the 3.5-inch screen on top certainly gives a firm illusion of depth without resorting to glasses -- or eye crossing. The feel is definitely reminiscent of those 3D cereal box prints, and as soon as you turn the device from left to right to try to look around anything the effect is immediately lost. You need to stare at the screen for a moment for your eyes to adjust and then not move around too much. If you do you'll need to adjust again."

Ya people usually sit perfectly still when playing portable games.

The analog thumb sucks on the PSP and it sounds equally sucky on the 3DS.

Nintendo 3DS in the flesh and hands-on! -- Engadget

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 08:57 AM

I've been reading some first impressions of the thing, and the general consensus is that it's pretty unbelievable.

I wasnt too interested in the thing, but I'm very curious now. I thought movies at the cinema in 3D were a HUGE let down with the glasses, and I think Sony is making a mistake putting it's weight behind that implementation.

I'm curious to see movies on this thing as well.... Especially without glasses.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 09:17 AM

I agree with Hawkeye (except for about the movies). I think Nintendo actually nailed this one - 3D without glasses is 3D I can actually get behind. I doubt I'll be buying one, but that's just because I don't want to carry anything in addition to my phone, no matter what its size is. I would like to try it, though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I thought movies at the cinema in 3D were a HUGE let down with the glasses, and I think Sony is making a mistake putting it's weight behind that implementation.
Sony announced a PSP using 3D glasses?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Sony announced a PSP using 3D glasses?
No?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
No?
So what does "I think Sony is making a mistake putting it's weight behind that implementation" have to do with the Nintendo 3DS?

He is upset they are making 3D games at all or that sony doesn't give away free 3D TV's to everyone.

So far the feedback on the PS3 3D has been good:
Hands-on with Killzone 3: making the case for 3D

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So what does "I think Sony is making a mistake putting it's weight behind that implementation" have to do with the Nintendo 3DS?

He is upset they are making 3D games at all or that sony doesn't give away free 3D TV's to everyone.

So far the feedback on the PS3 3D has been good:
Hands-on with Killzone 3: making the case for 3D
What does one 3D technology have to do with another? Are you really asking that question?

Yes, one writer does like Sony's 3D implementation on the PS3. I'm sure there are more people that like it as well. There are also plenty of people that will never buy it, and I am included in that group. I will *never* buy a TV that requires me to wear glasses. The idea of it is preposterous to me. What happens if you only buy two sets of glasses but have 5 friends over?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 05:57 AM

Since the PSP and NintendoDS debuted, both have seen iterations on the same theme over the years.

Face it, the PSP lost the race. but that's besides the point....

If Sony's PSP go had come out with a 3D screen last year(or whenever it launched), i would have probably picked one up, or at the very least admired Sony's 'innovation' and imagination. The fact that Nintendo is set to possibly, yet again, succeed with this "disruptive innovation" philosophy, seems about right.

I really admire Nintendo for taking off on these tangents and taking risks, i would really like Sony and Microsoft to at least attempt these tangents instead of just iterating and refining familiar themes (Move and Kinect, etc).

That "Think Different" philosophy is what i respect.

That being said, i think Sony should put the PSP on the back burner and cut their losses for now, and focus on the end game of making the PS3 the media center for the living room, which i think they have done a good job with, but could use some improvements.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 22, 2010 at 09:38 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
What does one 3D technology have to do with another? Are you really asking that question?
No I wasn't at all, but somehow Sony's 3D implimentation came into this 3DS discussion as I was as perplexted as you are.

No kidding not everyone will buy a 3D tv with or without the need for glasses. But lots will and I am more than happy that Sony has added 3D to future games.

Looking at the Xbox with its DVD drive and non-3D abilities it shows that the PS3 has tons of life and potential in it when the 360 is close to its peek, natal is just the last bit of icing on the cake before they need to come out with a more capable system.

The PSP is dead, sony shot themselves in the foot with the PSPgo when they could have succeeded.

I don't like the way this 3DS has that second screen for backwards compatibility as it is just a big clunky device.

By the time it ships in over a year the iPhone 5 could easily have the same 3D screen which is all the more reason not to carry that Gameboy clunker around with you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules