Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GPS unit TomTom One LE or Garmin Nuvi 200

GPS unit TomTom One LE or Garmin Nuvi 200
jersey
Senior User
Dec 10, 2007, 09:13 PM

Which would you get, and why?

Looking at it for a gift, not intended for hardcore use.

Or perhaps you have another suggestion.

Thanks.

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 10, 2007, 09:20 PM

I just bought a Garmin StreetPilot c530 last week and am happy with it. The next model up, the c550, comes with an antenna to receive real-time traffic data, and also speaks the name of the street you should turn on, unlike the c530. The older c340 also speaks street names and sells for around the same price as the c530 on Amazon, but doesn't have an anti-glare display or high-sensitivity receiver . The c550, also with an anti-glare display, is $100 more.

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2007, 04:39 PM

We have been researching them for some time now. I have decided on the Garmin 200w. Check Amazon for the price. It is around 230.00 not bad at all.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 05:40 PM

Having used both (own a tomtom one and used a garmin something for a week with a rental) I prefer the tomtom interface enormously. I am willing to concede that it it perhaps a matter of familiarity, but prior to the tomtom i used a magellin unit and the built-in on a Mazda and the tomtom has been the only one that really made sense in the way a mac or a tivo make sense compared to windows or a cable company provided DVR.

YMMV- they both get excellent reviews, you will probably be happy with either.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2007, 07:45 PM

I have a TomTom One LE that I purchased in the early thanksgiving sale at BB for $120. It is still on sale but for $140 now. I like it a lot, but don't have a Garmin/Magellan to compare it with. One note, the tomtom was horrid out of box, and wouldn't find my location at all. After updating the software it now works flawlessly.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2007, 09:55 PM

I just got a Nuvi 650 as a gift. I can't say much about the 200 series as I know nothing about it, but I'm loving the Garmin!

Cold Warrior
Dec 13, 2007, 10:16 PM

I'm getting the nuvi 660 for Christmas. Can't wait!!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 11:05 PM

I got a MIO DigiWalker C220 for $100 on Black Friday...it's like $180 normally, I think. It's extremely easy to use, compact...no bells and whistles like mp3 playback or photo viewing, but for preventing getting lost, it's great.

Only downside is that it doesn't speak street names, but that's not been an issue for me - "Turn left now" makes it easy.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'm getting the nuvi 660 for Christmas. Can't wait!!
I got the 650, and the only difference I see in the 660 is the bluetooth phone capability. I'm jealous because I could just leave my iPhone in the space right next to me in the car and talk through the GPS. That would be so awesome. But I doubt I can return this one and get that model, as it was a gift and I don't have a receipt or anything...

Forum Links
Forum Rules