Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's microsoft's current share in Apple?

What's microsoft's current share in Apple?
brapper
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 10:52 AM

What's the state of the original $150 million investment?
DO they currently have any significant stake in Apple?

Not trying to start a debate as to whether their investment was good for Apple, just need the facts.

ps. did a search, and I kept getting a "Safari cannot open this page.." in both forum specific and normal search.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 10:57 AM

0%? It was sold off years ago at a nice profit.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 11:04 AM

anyone able to provide links for me?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 11:10 AM

The facts are as Big Mac stated them.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 11:13 AM

Alright, is it possible that Bill Gates personally has any significant stake?

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
The facts are as Big Mac stated them.
then what the hell is this about from February 15, 2005.

"Apple Computer is one of today’s hottest stocks (up 26% this year after rocketing 201% last year), and Microsoft’s Bill Gates is all smiles! Why? When Apple brought back its co-founder Steven Jobs in 1997, one of his first moves was to turn to his longtime rival, Bill Gates.The two struck a deal under which Microsoft bought $150 million of Apple stock and promised to keep supplying Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer for the Mac. Today Microsoft’s stake in Apple is worth well over $1 billion!"

link

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by brapper
Alright, is it possible that Bill Gates personally has any significant stake?
Not a significant stake, no. If does own any AAPL stock, it's through mutual funds. But, I doubt he does.

"Apple Computer is one of today’s hottest stocks (up 26% this year after rocketing 201% last year), and Microsoft’s Bill Gates is all smiles! Why? When Apple brought back its co-founder Steven Jobs in 1997, one of his first moves was to turn to his longtime rival, Bill Gates.The two struck a deal under which Microsoft bought $150 million of Apple stock and promised to keep supplying Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer for the Mac. Today Microsoft’s stake in Apple is worth well over $1 billion!"

link
Had they kept it, it'd be worth that much, but they didn't. I believe Fortune incorrectly reported the same thing not too long ago.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 11:26 AM

link
Idiocy from a dubious source, I have to assume. Multiple sources revealed the sell-off, although it was not widely reported.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
Had they kept it, it'd be worth that much, but they didn't. I believe Fortune incorrectly reported the same thing not too long ago.
oh, alright now this is making sense. My prof just quoted the fortune article as fact.
Alright now I just need some proof that microsoft sold it to send him.

p.s. I'm in class for another 20 mins, so if anyone wants to help, it'd be great.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 11:32 AM

Yeah, I just ran across that Fortune article from February 2005 myself. . . I'm pretty certain it's wrong, but why risk the professor's wrath by correcting him?

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yeah, I just ran across that Fortune article from February 2005 myself. . . I'm pretty certain it's wrong, but why risk the professor's wrath by correcting him?
oh, don't worry, I'm tactful.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 11:46 AM

Here's a list of top AAPL shareholders. Microsoft is not listed among them, and unless the list excludes non-voting shareholders (which would be odd), I think that's strong evidence of the sell-off.

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 01:09 PM

thanks biggie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules