Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Early 2009 Mac Pro video upgrade

Early 2009 Mac Pro video upgrade
Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2009, 12:23 PM

Is the Radeon 4870 still the best mid-range option to the stock GeForce GT 120? I presume I can run both in tandem for a dual screen setup. Any advice is appreciated!

ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Early 2009 or Early 2008) - Apple Store (U.S.)

If there's a cheaper retailer out there, please let me know. I've checked Newegg, Amazon and Smalldog, and they're all around $350.

Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2009, 03:46 PM

At that price I'd think about buying the $125 PC version and flashing it.

Mercator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2009, 11:51 AM

Is that an easy thing to do? I would like the mini display port (which the PC versions don't have), but at less than half price I could certainly buy an adaptor.

I'm not fully committed to the 4870, either. I'd welcome any tips on getting a PC GPU into the Mac Pros.

Thanks!

damianslame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2009, 12:13 PM

If you are knowledgeable in the whole CMOS DOSS sorta way... to be honest I am not even sure if thats what sort of protocol you need to be running in.

But i was considering doing that same thing a while back and in my opinion it is not really worth the trouble. There is a chance that you could brick the card if you do now know what you are doing. So if you know someone that knows how go for it.

Also you have to find the specific card distro. not any 4870 will work. (at least when I looked into it)

Forum Links
Forum Rules