Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you be turning your lights off?

View Poll Results: Will you be turning your lights off?
Poll Options:
Yes, all lights 4 votes (9.76%)
Yes, most lights 4 votes (9.76%)
Yes, some lights 2 votes (4.88%)
No 31 votes (75.61%)
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
Will you be turning your lights off? (Page 2)
lexapro
Baninated
Mar 29, 2009, 03:17 PM

We unplug everything we don't use, including microwaves, lamps, the TV, laptop power cords, etc etc. We've cut our energy costs dramatically just by doing this. Who knew that your TV uses a LOT of power when it's not on but plugged in!

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2009, 03:30 PM

Funny thing is yesterday I went out and forgot to tell my family to turn the lights off.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 05:21 PM

So when you want to use your TV you have to plug it in first? What about your channel memory?

Sounds like a PITA to me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I think - not certain here - that CFLs contain mercury, and it's enough to warrant requiring special disposal methods. i doubt you're going to get nailed with an EPA violation for throwing out a CFL in the kitchen trash, but I believe that's why they have a different disposal/recycling procedure than regular light bulbs.
CFLs (like all fluorescents) do indeed contain mercury and shouldn't be disposed of in the regular trash, I have a feeling not to many people know this. I know they are all the rage but I still don't like them, they've gotten real close to the warm light of an incandescent, but not quite.

So we're using less electricity with these new CFLs (and yes they last way longer) but now we are going to have a generation of people throwing mercury-laced bulbs into landfills.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yep. Which in turn will prepare us for one world government, which will prepare us for other events.
The formation of Starfleet?!? Damn, I can't wait to cruise in a starship with a warp drive.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
So when you want to use your TV you have to plug it in first? What about your channel memory?

Sounds like a PITA to me.
Not really. I do the same thing, but I just turn off my power strips with the switch. At my first apartment, that strip was conveniently plugged into an outlet controlled by a wall switch.

You'd be surprised how much electricity things like TVs and A/V receivers suck while in standby. By turning off the strips for my computer and TV, I literally saw a $10 savings in my monthly bill.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The formation of Starfleet?!? Damn, I can't wait to cruise in a starship with a warp drive.
You and me both. When I was a kid, all I wanted was to live on the Enterprise-D.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You and me both. When I was a kid, all I wanted was to live on the Enterprise-D.
Oh, hell no. I'd take Voyager. First, I'd make sure Lt. Paris had a "transporter malfunction", then I could have Torres all to myself (those cranial ridges are hot).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2009, 03:31 AM

I turned out my lights but only for a nap.

Earth has been around for 6 billion years and has gone through space collisions, ice ages, pole reversals, etc.

Man has been around 10,000 years and about 120 years of industrial machinery.

Who do you think is going to win?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post

Earth has been around for 6 billion years and has gone through space collisions, ice ages, pole reversals, etc.

Damn straight. While there may be evidence that post-industrial revolution mankind has accelerated this particular stage of the global climate change cycle, I openly laugh at anyone who thinks we can stop climate change entirely.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2009, 08:42 AM

I don't believe climate change can be stopped entirely. The only thing we can do is lower the rate at which the planet is deteriorating.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post

Isn’t that sort of the whole point of this? Planet’s obviously going to win, but we can at least try NOT to help it kill us off.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 10:05 AM

You can drink 6 beers in 60 minutes?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2009, 09:32 PM

It was the rugby sevens weekend.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Isn’t that sort of the whole point of this? Planet’s obviously going to win, but we can at least try NOT to help it kill us off.
Nope. The whole point of this is outlined as follows...

"It would seem that humans need a common motivation, namely a common adversary, to organize and act together in the vacuum; such a motivation must be found to bring the divided nations together to face an outside enemy, either a real one or else one invented for the purpose....The common enemy of humanity is man....democracy is no longer well suited for the tasks ahead.", and "In searching for a new enemy to unite us we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like, would fit the bill."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limits_to_Growth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_of_Rome

Those are the dudes who're running the show.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2009, 07:40 AM

Interesting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules