Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo 500 sound problem

Pismo 500 sound problem
stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 11:38 AM

I have had my Pismo 500 for almost 3 years now and it had been freakin awesome since now....my problem is that when I turn the volume up on my machine from the keyboard volume button the sound balances to the right channel the when I lower it it balances to center then even lower it balances to the left...????? Weird to say the least. Anyway is my sound card on its way out? if so where can I get a new sound card and the step by step on how to replace it? Thanks for any help

Steve

Pismo 500/ 40GB / 1ghz RAM / Jag

zos
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 03:47 PM

I have this same issue showing up, on the same system. I didn't notice it till today, I thought maybe the 10.2.6 update did it? I haven't done anything strange to my system. I figure it must be happening with all sounds, but I notice it with my iTunes program on the lineout to my Monsoon 1000 speakers. It all balances OK if I have the computer volume set to one up from the lowest. Another funny thing, I've been noticing, I think just slightly before the update to 10.2.6, that if I got back to no sound from the keyboard control (not mute, just back it all the way to nothing), then the first click up on the sound produces no sound, still. Then the next click brings back sound, so it takes two clicks past nothing to produce sound. Check it out and see if you see that too. I'm guessing there's a nasty little software problem showing up that will never get remedied by Apple as per usual, but who knows.

zos
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 06:50 PM

OK, seemed to have fixed it here. I did two things, the first was I trashed Audio Hijack, which I wasn't using anyway. The second was I simply opened up the sound control panel and put the balance slider back to the middle. All seems well now, both problems I mentioned are fixed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 07:18 PM

weird, this happened to me too last night after installing 10.2.6...
the balance slider wound up to the left (after i panicked first... )

so far, the only thing i've found from the update (other than the number 6 in "about this mac" where #5 used to be... )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 08:58 PM

AHH YES ...the answer was as plain as the nose on his face...the most obvious was the solution...my balance slider was off balance ...but played balanced sometimes...oh well....THE PISMO LIVES ON!!!!

Thanks all.

Steve

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 09:41 AM

At least your sound works - my headphone jack on my 2000 pismo came loose - and now the speakers will only work if I shove a pencil in *exactly* the right angle into the headphone port.

But I don't care now as I have a 17" on order! woo-hoo!

Forum Links
Forum Rules