Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Keyboard advice =)

Keyboard advice =)
Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 01:40 PM

I have been given a choice at work. either use their nasty bulky keyboards or just buy one of my choice.

I decided to buy one on my own. =)

But i would like some suggestions based on your experiences. Im more or less looking for a clone of the apple keyboard, but for a pc.

Thank you,

p.s. Oh if possible would you post the pictures here? a lot of sites are blocked here at work and when i click links i cant even look at the site, let alone the suggestions you have.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 01:51 PM

Why not just use an Apple one on the PC?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Why not just use an Apple one on the PC?
There is no windows key on apple keyboards. Is that even a legal thing to do? i mean poor keyboard, to be subjected to such use. that has to give you some bad karma in doing somethign like that. lol

but good idea, i wonder if i could buy an old use imac g3 keyboard. those were so neat and compact.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
There is no windows key on apple keyboards. Is that even a legal thing to do? i mean poor keyboard, to be subjected to such use. that has to give you some bad karma in doing somethign like that. lol

but good idea, i wonder if i could buy an old use imac g3 keyboard. those were so neat and compact.
The Mac has the command key which I am sure you can just remap. There is also an ALT key on Mac keyboards.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 11:13 AM

get a blank keyboard for 1337 hackerizm.

this ones cool, but i see it for like $260 (yikes)
http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyb.../nokeytop.html

this one is less cool, but only $90
http://www.daskeyboard.com/

sabrejim
May 3, 2006, 01:07 PM

I got a logitech dinovo. Awesome awesome keyboard that feels like a powerbook keyboard.

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
get a blank keyboard for 1337 hackerizm.

this ones cool, but i see it for like $260 (yikes)
http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyb.../nokeytop.html

this one is less cool, but only $90
http://www.daskeyboard.com/
those are nice keyboards, but 260 and 90 are a joke. for less than 5 bucks i could buy some decent paint remover and make the keys blank myself. heh

im just going to buy a used imac g3 keyboard and pray that it works, and if it does not work well i will have a back up keyboard at home.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 03:26 PM

Macally Icekey is good one.

baw
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 03:28 PM

IceKey is awesome! But mine broke. It stopped working one day and now kernel panics all my Macs when I plugged it in.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
those are nice keyboards, but 260 and 90 are a joke. for less than 5 bucks i could buy some decent paint remover and make the keys blank myself. heh

im just going to buy a used imac g3 keyboard and pray that it works, and if it does not work well i will have a back up keyboard at home.
mechanically they arent the same as a "normal" keyboard.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 11:54 AM

I have a Matias Tactile Pro keyboard and I love it. It feels exactly like a Apple ADB Extended Keyboard II. A really nice feature of the Tactile Pro is that the special characters for each key are printed on the keys themselves. (Exs. Option-6 is the section symbol, Option-7 is the paragraph symbol.)

The Tactile Pro doesn't have a Windows key, but I think that the Cmd key is automatically mapped to the Windows key if you connected it to a PC.

--ranga

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2006, 11:00 AM

I drove down to my local Apple store and bought a wired usb keyboard. PERFECT! Now i do not have the print screen, scroll lock, and pause break keys. I need the pause break key for sure and the print screen is occasionally used

I know this is a mac forum, but how do i remap those keys onto the f14 to f16 keys?
I'm sure its a 3rd party program i have to use to have this happen. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules