Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther First Impressions

Panther First Impressions (Page 12)
kerrazyjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Does this help?
Looks like LiteSwitch for Jaguar - KOOL!
"in the middle of the nite"
Joe

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 12:05 AM

Regarding the favorites and the left "finder" bar.

While I'm not going to predict it, I suspect that the "Recent Items" will be the first "smart folder" that makes it into the Finder or Open/Save dialog. It just makes sense.

After all, Apple already collects that information and has it in a menu in 10.2.

This is the most used "smart playlist" I use in iTunes as well. I have one that lists the last 50 added songs and the last 50 played songs. Having something similar would be great. What would be even better are smart folders for things like the last 20 word documents or things like that. Apple in theory could do that even without adding new metadata to the Finder/file system.

What would really be nice is use the new labels and use those for smart grouping in this fashion.

As I said, I'm still convinced this stuff is coming. I'm just no longer convinced it will be part of 10.3. It may not arrive until 10.3.1.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 02:58 AM

Labels would do better to do something similar to just changing the hue, like in Photoshop.

Not to mention use a viritcal list so you could create your own.

TC
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 03:27 AM

They might just put recent places into the load/save dialogues in the same way it was done in OS9.
Have a look at "Connect To Server" using cmd-K in the finder to see how they've done it for recent network places.

The other thing with recent places, it doesn't need to be a special folder as right now it is just saved in one of your plists. In OS 9 there used to be a folder for this and I hope they bring back that way of doing it.

The reason I'd like it as a folder is that it makes it easy to set up an applescript which can populate this when I move between different projects.
Nothing to see, move along.

zadak
Jul 4, 2003, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
Add those two things and one other--easy syncing of POP email between laptop and desktop with just ethernet--and I'd be in heaven.
I would seriously start to cry if that would work.

I also want iSync at large to work directly between computers. Why go through $99-.Mac when the computers are right next to each other (or have a direct connection via the Internet)?.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2003, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by zadak:
I would seriously start to cry if that would work.
Maybe an AppleScript (triggered when the machines connect) that takes one Inbox.mbox file, merges it with the other and then copies the file back to both computers would do the job...

scotty321
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2003, 11:17 AM

FYI, Apple is officially taking feedback on the 10.3 Developer Preview: <http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/>. Mac OS X 10.3 is one of the choices in the pop-up menu.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 12:25 PM

2 Questions for those with a Dev release:

1) You can't receive faxes through a cable modem, can you? I'm assuming it's only if you're on a dial-up modem.

2) The secure empthy trash option can't be switched to always on, can it?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
2 Questions for those with a Dev release:

1) You can't receive faxes through a cable modem, can you? I'm assuming it's only if you're on a dial-up modem.

2) The secure empthy trash option can't be switched to always on, can it?

You need to fax through a normal modem.

Secure delete cannot be selected as default.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 02:03 PM

Another question for all you pir ... er ... developers. IF you have your Dock on the left, are windows smarter about avoiding it? Terminal is particularly egregious in this department.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 04:21 PM

I'm surprised I haven't see mention of scrolling yet, at least in Safari.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 04:22 PM

One thing about expose that really made a big impression on me, is the ability to hide all applications, select some files (keepign the mouse button pressed down) from the desktop, then choose to show all apps in the window, and then choose the window you want to move the files onto, amazing tiem saver.

Also, you can make the finder behave in exactly the same way as Jag, sort of. Open a finder window, press the button on the top right of the titlebar to hide the sidebar/toolbar, then go to view/showtoolbar... voila!!! you can then select the column view and it's just like the old finder, even including the square corners on the botom of the window.

( Last edited by bamburg dunes; Jul 4, 2003 at 04:31 PM. )
PIXAR Animation Studios

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 07:35 AM

OK... so was I right in reading that LONG ASS shutdown/restart times are gone? That is one thing that drove me up the wall about Jag... everything BEFORE it shutdown almost immediately... none of this staring at a screenshot with a little spinning black thing for 2 minutes on a dual 1ghz...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

farmer
Jul 6, 2003, 01:11 PM

I'm sure this has been brought up in this thread but I am to lazy to read all the pages.

Can you right click a minimized window in the dock and close it?

Never liked the fact that you had to umminimize it to close it.

I know this is windowish behavior so no rants please.

Thanx in advance

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by farmer:
Yep but it doesnt seem to work with few windows.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Jul 6, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
One thing about expose that really made a big impression on me, is the ability to hide all applications, select some files (keepign the mouse button pressed down) from the desktop, then choose to show all apps in the window, and then choose the window you want to move the files onto, amazing tiem saver.

Also, you can make the finder behave in exactly the same way as Jag, sort of. Open a finder window, press the button on the top right of the titlebar to hide the sidebar/toolbar, then go to view/showtoolbar... voila!!! you can then select the column view and it's just like the old finder, even including the square corners on the botom of the window.

i may have missed this earlier, but how does your panther Finder not have brushed metal? title bar looks aqua?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2003, 08:09 PM

I would just like to pipe in at this point to say that I briefly clean-installed Panther on my iMac DV 400, 80GB/768MB in between two reformats (setting up an Airport iTunes server for the house ).

I had it on there for about half an hour, and have to say that I was really impressed by general feel and responsiveness of the system on my machine. Very pleasant.

I do hope that this will carry over into the release. It now seems much more like the raw CPU power is what puts the limit on what you can do simultaneously. The feeling that the GUI was slowing down the machine as well is gone.

Thanks to all for the details. I get the impression that much of what wasn't explicitly presented at the conference will yet change quite substantially.

Looking forward to final.

-s*

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I do hope that this will carry over into the release. It now seems much more like the raw CPU power is what puts the limit on what you can do simultaneously. The feeling that the GUI was slowing down the machine as well is gone.

Looking forward to final.

Amen to that!

boingboing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 06:17 PM

a couple panther questions:

how is the home directory encryption handled? Is there an easy way to enable or disable this on the fly? can one encrypt other folders? What is involved with that?

the brushed metal finder window with the sidebar, is that the initial window that one sees when opening the HD? Or is that the way every finder window looks in panther? is there a way to have the initial window show the sidebar, and all other windows not have the sidebar?

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 07:03 PM

This is the way X was supposed to be. It's gorgeous and fast (on my rev. A iMac) and it's just such a step up from Jag (can't believe i'm saying that).

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by boingboing:
a couple panther questions:

how is the home directory encryption handled? Is there an easy way to enable or disable this on the fly? can one encrypt other folders? What is involved with that?

the brushed metal finder window with the sidebar, is that the initial window that one sees when opening the HD? Or is that the way every finder window looks in panther? is there a way to have the initial window show the sidebar, and all other windows not have the sidebar?
Your questions have already been answered either in this thread or in the other thread here.

scotty321
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by farmer:
This seems to ONLY work with Finder windows, not with any other applications.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 08:48 PM

Take my wrist and slap it now..
I too was naughty and got myself the preview edition of 10.3 And you know what? I am so impressed, that I most definitely will be buying the final version. Yes I know, it's still not a "Correct" thing to do blah blah.. But little use in dwelling on it now. Besides, (and take note) kicking up a stink about it makes for crap reading on here..

So, for me, 10.3 is noticeably faster, particularly where the UI is concerned. And this addresses one of my main gripes about 10.2 and previous versions of OS X before it. The seemingly treacle coated UI response could make a mac feel slower than it really was. Well, on my testing "mule" iMac 400 (I have other, faster macs), that sluggishness has mostly gone. Not to the point of OS 8/9 snappiness but definitely a step in that direction. So far, it just seems to be a more efficient OS. Windows scroll more smoothly, apps launch faster. And troublesome apps that struggled along a bit in 10.2 sure are running better in 10.3 (cept Toast that wont run at all for whatever reason).
10.3 also doesnt like faulty icons one little bit. And this can cause some nasty 'finder' crashes that can be an absolute *&%�$@! to put right. But hey, it's a pre release so I cant grumble. Especially as everything else works so well.
Completed Microsoft OS's dont work as well as Apples pre release OS's! Oh the joys of being a mac user

to Apple
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

cowicide
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2003, 02:37 PM

I've herd that there's issues using 10.2.6, etc. after you've used Panther on another drive. Something about permissions getting screwed up or something?

Has anyone here had any issues using 10.2.6 on another drive/partition after using Panther?

npmccallum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 03:15 PM

I didn't go to WWDC, but I'd like to get ahold of DP1. Was this available only to those developers that went? Or is it possible to download it anywhere? or order CDs through ADC?

Thanks
nathaniel

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by npmccallum:
I didn't go to WWDC, but I'd like to get ahold of DP1. Was this available only to those developers that went? Or is it possible to download it anywhere? or order CDs through ADC?

Thanks
nathaniel
You should be able to get it if you are an ADC member.

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 04:53 AM

Well. it's update time people!

Here are the NEW builds and changes...
responsiveness has increased 10% and mail and ichat have been "overhauled" much better load times now for both and expose is seamless.. oh and BTW (for those pismo users out there try expose now )
Pictures to follow!

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 04:59 AM

here they are

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 08:48 AM

Ahh.. that screen shot bug that causes fooking massive picts still hasnt been fixed then
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by scotty321:
This seems to ONLY work with Finder windows, not with any other applications.
This works automatically with ALL applications that make proper use of Carbon Events. I guess they will add the same functionality to Cocoa. Carbon applications that still use the obsolete and deprecated Mac OS 9 event model won't get that functionality without code changes.

osxisfun
Jul 12, 2003, 11:48 AM

> responsiveness has increased 10% a

did you take in account the normal speed up one gets from a restart?

Forum Links
Forum Rules