Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GarageBand=Good or bad?

GarageBand=Good or bad? (Page 3)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
This probably belongs in the peripherals section but:

I just ordered iLife for garageband...I have a keyboard with midi already and a guitar. What do I need to hook them up to my computer? It there one piece of equipment I can get or will I have to get 2 - one for each instrument.

The TASCAM US-122 ( http://www.tascam.com/product_info.p...uter_recording ) will fit the bill.

So will some of the things on the GarageBand Accessories page: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/accessories.html

The Edirol UA-20 and Emagic A62m will do both.

You could also look into just getting an M-Audio Midisport USB MIDI interface and just using the impedance-adjusting 1/4" --> 1/8" guitar cable from the accessories page, running straight into the minijack input on your Mac.

However, do remember that if your MIDI keyboard has a sound-engine as well, that you will want to record in addition to the virtual instruments in GarageBand, you will also need a standard (non-impedance-adjusted) dual-mono 1/4" --> stereo 1/8" cable.

The MIDIsport series is warmly recommended, and that is very likely the cheapest method to get started.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by midwinter:
schwing!!!

Spheric: can you recommend a good (but affordable) EQ? My acoustic is a pretty tricky beast to EQ and takes at least two 15-band EQs to get it sounding properly.

Cheers
Scott
'fraid not.

I stick to Logic Platinum's parametric graphic EQ.

If you want to EQ a nice guitar, though, your probably better off with a parametric EQ than a 15-band (static) graphic EQ.

Parametric meaning that you can sweep each peaks through a whole range of frequencies to find exactly the annoying frequency you're trying to accentuate/remove.

A five-band parametric will do fine for about anything, especially if you have variable Q (i.e. you can vary the width of the "hills" and "valleys" you're making in the frequency spectrum, either pushing/dipping a broad range of frequencies, or just a very specific one (great for hums, for example).

If you knew all that, ignore me, I figured, might as well give a little info to the others just thinking of getting into music-making with GarageBand.

-s*

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 11:31 PM

Spheric,

Thanks. I'm an old hand at most of this (been playing professionally and semi-professionally since the late 80s, worked in music stores and for sound production companies, and a decade ago I was an occasional studio session guitarist, singer, and writer). But the last serious experience I had studio-wise was a long time ago--with ADATs--and so this new-fangled computer stuff leaves me feeling like I'm looking at my first real mixing console.

Anyway, my rig is pretty weird, and very, VERY picky, and I've never been able to get the sound I want out of a parametric eq. I'm sure a lot of this is my own shortcoming, but I've just found that graphic EQs work better with it and give me more flexibility.

I'll do some digging around to see if I can find some free plugins. Thanks!

Cheers
Scott

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 11:48 PM

Anyway, my rig is pretty weird, and very, VERY picky, and I've never been able to get the sound I want out of a parametric eq. I'm sure a lot of this is my own shortcoming, but I've just found that graphic EQs work better with it and give me more flexibility.
You might want to start here:
http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...x=0&button.y=0
(though at a glance, those are mostly VSTs - you can get a VST wrapper, though, that will adapt them to AudioUnit-compatible apps)

and here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&i...ogle+Suche&lr=

-s*

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
You might want to start here:
http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...x=0&button.y=0
(though at a glance, those are mostly VSTs - you can get a VST wrapper, though, that will adapt them to AudioUnit-compatible apps)

and here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&i...ogle+Suche&lr=

-s*
You are most excellent, sir. Damn, why couldn't Garage Band have been available NOW?!?! As it is, I'll have to wait until next weekend to play with it.

But at least this gives me an excuse to break my electric guitar out... The acoustic will take some time to work with.

Cheers
Scott

NeutrixX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 02:20 AM

I don't think you guys really understand how big of a deal GarageBand is (and I mean to paid musicians whom already own pro audio software). I produce downtempo electro-acoustic psychedelic (bassy breaks stuff) tracks for a local label with Reason, Ableton Live and Logic, but none are as sweet (or should I say organic) looking as GarageBand for recording and editing tracks (Reason actually looks quite good for a synth/sampler/effects rack : yet visually lacks when one is editing within the track mode). Why should I even mention to you how good looking GarageBand is? Why you say? Simple. If it excites me to work with a good looking peice of software - which I admit - it does very much (appealing to my eye - with incredible ease of use and superior workflow), it will inevitably inspire my work. And if it inspires my work, in any sort of creative way, I would gladly pay far more than the small price of $49 for it! Now granted, it does not do all the things that Live, Reason or Logic does, but by the looks of it.... I think it will do what it does better than anything else I've seen. GarageBand should be able to listen to (and record in stereo, I believe) a firewire enabled piece of hardware (like Yamaha's brand new o1x) with the knobs controlling any enabled AudioUnit plugins (in real-time of course). Will the AudioUnit capability within GarageBand allow me to use mastering plugins (not to mention 5.1 mixing)? How many AudioUnit plugins can run in real time while simply monitoring (or recording) my 12 String & vocals? Can you pre-record midi to the AudioUnit plugin effects while monitoring guitar or vocals while jamming to a pre-recorded piece (to provide dub-like capabilities)? Will GarageBand listen to more than one midi device at any given time (keyboards, mixer & envelope pedals)?
Obviously I�m not sure on some of these paticular details, but I�ll find out soon enough. I must remind myself this is Apple�s first release of this product, and updates will inevitably follow!

The fact it will seemlessly integrate with Soundtrack (when scoring within FCP 4), plays and records at 24bit 96khz (I think � haven�t found the pdf on it yet � Soundtrack does - so GarageBand should), uses AudioUnits, comes with a large amount of high quality (better than CD quality) samples (some of the best I�ve ever heard by the way) and comes with 100 software instruments� well� it�s a steal (to say the least) at $49. Comparable software goes for hundreds of dollars more (not to mention the fact you get to upgrade your iDVD/ iMovie/ iPhoto as well). Not to mention the interface of those other apps are half as clean (re: slick) as GarageBand. Just check out the detailed �wood� side panels on the main mixer window. Don�t you think it adds a warm touch? I like details like that. Thank you Apple!

I�ll be buying it� I�ll also be upgrading to the �Jampack� available for it as well.
GarageBand is the start of something incredible, for professional and amateur musicians alike�

End of story.

P.S. - By the way, the difference between Soundtrack (which I've used) and Garageband is GarageBand will listen to (and record) midi signals, and has more editing features (along with virtual/software instruments). It will work seemlessly with Soundtrack when one is working with a FCP4 project. You would first do your composing within GarageBand (you could even use your Soundtrack loops if you wanted - 1000's are available with FCP4), then you would import your entire composition into Soundtrack - for final sequencing within the project that you're working on inside FCP4! GarageBand is far more powerful for creating original compositions than Soundtrack, but you will use Soundtrack within FCP4 to sync it up to your video timeline. Apple has hit another home run!

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 02:32 AM

Will the AudioUnit capability within GarageBand allow me to use mastering plugins (not to mention 5.1 mixing)? How many AudioUnit plugins can run in real time while simply monitoring (or recording) my 12 String & vocals? Can you pre-record midi to the AudioUnit plugin effects while monitoring guitar or vocals while jamming to a pre-recorded piece (to provide dub-like capabilities)? Will GarageBand listen to more than one midi device at any given time (keyboards, mixer & envelope pedals)?
Obviously I�m not sure on some of these paticular details, but I�ll find out soon enough. I must remind myself this is Apple�s first release of this product, and updates will inevitably follow!
These are all the right questions.

One addition: what's the latency when monitoring non-midi signals?

Audio latency when monitoring playback/recording has turned me off of computer-based recording until now. I hope that Apple's got latency issues fixed--and given the demonstration, it would seem that they have.

Cheers
Scott

arnette
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 02:33 AM

To be honest, I didn't read past the first page.

I just wanted to voice my opinion that for over a year I was toying with the idea of buying Logic, not Platinum but some form of it, and playing around with sound design. Then Apple's Soundtrack came about and I began to lust for a G4 (I'm on a 900 MHz ibook now). GarageBand is a great thing for people like me who have always smiled at sequencing programs but were too afraid to get one.

Now that I've ordered the new iLife 04, I'll have a faster iPhoto (yeah!) as well as GarageBand which will be a great boon for my musical kicks. I can even hook up my existing Casio keyboard to my iBook with a midi-USB adapter. Sweet!

A sincere thanks to Apple.

natan
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by arnette:
To be honest, I didn't read past the first page.

I just wanted to voice my opinion that for over a year I was toying with the idea of buying Logic, not Platinum but some form of it, and playing around with sound design. Then Apple's Soundtrack came about and I began to lust for a G4 (I'm on a 900 MHz ibook now). GarageBand is a great thing for people like me who have always smiled at sequencing programs but were too afraid to get one.

Now that I've ordered the new iLife 04, I'll have a faster iPhoto (yeah!) as well as GarageBand which will be a great boon for my musical kicks. I can even hook up my existing Casio keyboard to my iBook with a midi-USB adapter. Sweet!

A sincere thanks to Apple.
I hope you're aware of the GarageBand requirements:

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
-600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand; G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments
Thus, any G3 iBook cannot use software instruments, aka playing a midi keyboard through patches.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 8, 2004, 03:45 AM

I had to laugh when I saw Sheryl Crow recording herself in the iLife 4 ad.

Garageband is for kids...
Meaning U won't be able to do much with it.

Lets make it clear, Garageband is for hobbists. It has nothing even Pro about it. (Appart from the look)
And I would not call that making music. "Dragging loops here and there".

And "Ohhhhh" you can change the length of the note !!!!

I know all of you guys here won't agree but I had to say it. You are all acting as if sequencers had never existed.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

DaGuy
Senior User
Jan 8, 2004, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by chezpaul:

Lets make it clear, Garageband is for hobbists. It has nothing even Pro about it. (Appart from the look)
And I would not call that making music. "Dragging loops here and there".

And "Ohhhhh" you can change the length of the note !!!!

I know all of you guys here won't agree but I had to say it. You are all acting as if sequencers had never existed.
1. Acting like sequncers never existed? Not that good at that price. Remember Apple bought Emagic, so you think it's chop liver under the hood?

2. Dragging loops may not be your cup of tea but how about just pluging your guitar and laying down some vocals? Is that musical enough for you?

3. No pro sequencer is going to make you sound good if you have no talent.

Remember, GB is part of $49 suite. The excitement is not about editing notes is about how much is available for that price and with Apple quality.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
except Soundtrack is faaaarrr from being "Professional". You're not going to walk into a recording studio and see them launch Soundtrack...no way.
Uhm, Soundtrack is not geared towards musicians. It's for making background music to video.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
Uhm, Soundtrack is not geared towards musicians. It's for making background music to video.

perryp
Banned
Jan 8, 2004, 06:21 AM

I prefer the UI of Soundtrack

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 09:19 AM

One addition: what's the latency when monitoring non-midi signals?

Audio latency when monitoring playback/recording has turned me off of computer-based recording until now. I hope that Apple's got latency issues fixed--and given the demonstration, it would seem that they have.
It depends on your audio interface (rather, its drivers).

Should be no more than a couple of milliseconds.

The OS itself works at a latency of less than 40 samples (<1ms at 44kHz), which is faster than just about any other digital audio device on the market - including digital mixers.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by perryp:
I prefer the UI of Soundtrack
are you talking about the graphic design?

Because otherwise, there is virtually no difference between the two, except that GarageBand has the loop stuff at the bottom, and Soundtrack has the video stuff at the top.

I rather like the black graphics of Soundtrack - and I'm kind of hoping that Logic will see a similar color scheme with version 6.5: it's about time they updated that ... thing.

-s*

perryp
Banned
Jan 8, 2004, 10:18 AM

are you talking about the graphic design?
You can easily take in what's going on in Souindtrack, but there's so many disparate design styles in GarageBand that it makes hard to understand. It's ugly. It's gimmicky. It's cheesy.

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 11:28 AM

Does anyone know if I can take a midi file and convert it to AIFF with Garage band?

dylanw
Jan 8, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by perryp:
You can easily take in what's going on in Souindtrack, but there's so many disparate design styles in GarageBand that it makes hard to understand. It's ugly. It's gimmicky. It's cheesy.
I don't have any problem understanding the interface for GarageBand. It's essentially the same track/mixer metaphor used my most sequencers. It's a bit more readable than most. The differences between Soundtrack and GarageBand and Soundtrack seem negligible, at best.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by MAlan:
Does anyone know if I can take a midi file and convert it to AIFF with Garage band?
Short answer: Yes (provided GarageBand will read standard MIDI files, which I can't imagine it NOT doing).

However, (long answer), it's important to realize that MIDI files and audio files (like AIFF) are two ENTIRELY different things - basically, the difference between sheet music and a finished audio CD.

The sheet music (MIDI data) does not contain any sound at all, it merely contains a long list of which note is played when and how long, using which instrument.

You still need an instrument to actually produce sound in accordance with the notation (your mobile, for instance, has a synthesizer built in that does the actual sound generation when you load in a ringtone as a MIDI file).

That instrument, in turn, can be recorded as audio.

GarageBand includes a number of "virtual" instruments, which you can assign to individual MIDI tracks of a MIDI file. You can then "bounce" (record/export) these virtual instruments to a stereo AIFF to play in iTunes or burn to CD or whatever.

-s*

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 12:13 PM

exactly...I want to take one of those virtual instruments (drums)...assign it to a midi track and then export it to aiff to mix with my other audio tracks guitar, bass, vocals that I produce from real instruments.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2004, 01:21 PM

Another major question I have is this:
Since I can use GB and my Powerbook to create the amp sound I like, does this also mean that I can connect my guitar to my Powerbook and use audio out to my 4x12 guitar speaker cabinet? I would think not since it takes a good 100w head to power the cabinet adequately. Anyone know?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:

I think Crow was just saying it would be a very handy tool for knocking together a fast demo for a new song. No reason a professional musician wouldn't enjoy using a simple but flexible app to do that with. Obviously it isn't meant to replace a professional studio/desk.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 01:42 PM

Only if :

1-GB can read MIDI files and has a General MIDI instrument set (0-127 of them exist in the GM spec, and since it only comes with 100 softsynths then...probably not) or knows how to map the different MIDI file formats like SMF1 and SMF0.

2-GB has to be able to map 16 channels of MIDI sound to 16 softsynth instruments, making sure channel 10 goes to drums.

3-In a crunch, GB could use the General MIDI set of Quicktime.

Or something like that. MIDI files are just notes to trigger the softsynth as an instrument. MIDI files only contain data bits that say "play note C#. Now stop playing it. Now play C# and D. Now bring the volume down". It's the softsynth that takes those events and makes an audible instrument play sound, according to the orders received by MIDI.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Another major question I have is this:
Since I can use GB and my Powerbook to create the amp sound I like, does this also mean that I can connect my guitar to my Powerbook and use audio out to my 4x12 guitar speaker cabinet? I would think not since it takes a good 100w head to power the cabinet adequately. Anyone know?
I would imagine you could use a good reference power amp (I used to have a nice 100-watt one by Alesis) to amplify that signal relatively cleanly.

The problem is that the amp simulators are no doubt emulating the cabinet, as well.

Hrm. I wonder if they have an amp that goes to eleven?

Cheers
Scott

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2004, 03:18 PM

I would imagine you could use a good reference power amp (I used to have a nice 100-watt one by Alesis) to amplify that signal relatively cleanly.

The problem is that the amp simulators are no doubt emulating the cabinet, as well.

Hrm. I wonder if they have an amp that goes to eleven?

Cheers
Scott
Well here is my concern;
I have a nice half stack now consisting of a 100w all tube Ampeg head and 4x12 Celestion cabinet, I know someone who wants to buy the head, so, if I get rid of the head, will GaragBand and my Gigabook be able to power the cabinet like the head?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 03:20 PM

Well here is my concern;
I have a nice half stack now consisting of a 100w all tube Ampeg head and 4x12 Celestion cabinet, I know someone who wants to buy the head, so, if I get rid of the head, will GaragBand and my Gigabook be able to power the cabinet like the head?
Surely not. You still need an amplifier to drive that cabinet.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2004, 03:46 PM

So SoundTrack and GarageBand are basicalaly *the same damn thing* but GB has looping aand SoundTrack has the video thing? Is there any difference other than that (besides the interface, of course)? I was going to get iLife *just* for GarageBand, but is SoundTrack a better buy in any way?

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 04:10 PM

It depends on your audio interface (rather, its drivers).

Should be no more than a couple of milliseconds.

The OS itself works at a latency of less than 40 samples (<1ms at 44kHz), which is faster than just about any other digital audio device on the market - including digital mixers.

-s*
Seems like we talked about this latency non-issue (by which I mean that the latency rates are unbelievable) a while back.

Can you comment on how the latency is with, say, 5 or 6 tracks of non-midi audio? Several guitar tracks and some vocals?

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 05:02 PM

I know what a MIDI file is and how you need to map it to soft synth instruments. I have used Metro 5 from Cakewalk and I can now upgrade to Metro 6 if I wanted to for $150 which would give me the ability to change a midi track to AIFF which Metro 5 currently cannot do.

Let me try to explain what I want to do. I normally record rhythm guitar, lead guitar, voice, and bass as four separate tracks (real digital audio not midi) and then mix them all at the end. The songs sound very nice and I get compliments on them. Now I want to add drums. Since I don't have a drum set I bought drum samples and loops. I can import these sounds into Metro 5 just fine and copy and paste loops and it would sound almost like crap I'm sure. So what I started doing is playing with a program called Caps2Midi which triggers a midi event over the IAC bus from my computers qwerty keyboard (not a midi keyboard) through OMS 2.3.8 into METRO 5 which passes it on to the Quicktime synth (complicated enough for you). So when I use channel 10 I trigger drums on the quicktime synth (but not my drum samples). This is fine and then I get a midi track that is playing the sound I want along with my real audio tracks. So what I need to do to mix it together to one stereo aiff track (finished song) is convert that one midi drum track to an aiff file. Garage band might be able to do a sort of mixed mode mix down at the end from what I can gather from the UI screenshot but I'd really rather do it this way so I can still work with Metro 5 if I want to (my G3 might not be able to do the software instruments and all those tracks at once so if I just do the software instruments I might have a shot).

So what has me psyched about garage band is that 1) garage band has the caps2midi functionality built in 2) it has a whole bunch of loops that I don't have 3) its user interface looks so much more intuitive than Metro and 4) if I want to buy and audio unit sampler for the drum samples I already bought it will work seamlessly with garage band. But I want to know if I can export that Midi drum track I'll make in garage band to aiff for mixing later.

Originally posted by darcybaston:
Only if :

1-GB can read MIDI files and has a General MIDI instrument set (0-127 of them exist in the GM spec, and since it only comes with 100 softsynths then...probably not) or knows how to map the different MIDI file formats like SMF1 and SMF0.

2-GB has to be able to map 16 channels of MIDI sound to 16 softsynth instruments, making sure channel 10 goes to drums.

Or something like that. MIDI files are just notes to trigger the softsynth as an instrument. MIDI files only contain data bits that say "play note C#. Now stop playing it. Now play C# and D. Now bring the volume down". It's the softsynth that takes those events and makes an audible instrument play sound, according to the orders received by MIDI.

tsukurite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
If I keep laughing like that people at work are going to wonder what I'm doing.
oh geez *snort*. That is soooo true. I was about to fall out my chair.

To stay on topic...
I'm really pumped about this for my wife who for years has been wanting to record her compositions, but our budget hasn't allowed for anything. This, I think, will be the key for her.

For me, I'm excited to try this out for some quick and dirty voice over work I've got coming. Could be verrryyy cool.

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 05:38 PM

But I want to know if I can export that Midi drum track I'll make in garage band to aiff for mixing later.
I would certainly hope it's capable of doing this when using the soft synth instruments... I can't imagine them not including the functionality. Of course, you can always do it manually.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2004, 06:06 PM

I just bought this tascam rig to use with GB and some other audio apps.
http://www.tascam.com/product_info.p...uter_recording
the US-428

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 06:15 PM

how much does that tascam cost? I really want a firewire solution for audio in and not USB. Like the MOTU 828 but cheaper and more affordable. I'd like something really simple like 4 audio inputs and a firewire ouput. I don't like USB for audio because of the unstable latency issues.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 06:39 PM

I just bought this tascam rig to use with GB and some other audio apps.
http://www.tascam.com/product_info.p...uter_recording
the US-428
So say I want to record a guitar, bass, audio, and drums all at once, I could hook up either four mics to that or things like the bass/guitar directly into that with one mic for vocals and one for drums and get four seperate tracks in GarageBand?

(Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a musician, not a recording arteeeest.)

bluesloth
Jan 8, 2004, 06:47 PM

anyone have any suggestions for the cheapest MIDI to USB converter available?

I don't want to spend too much, as I will be primarily recording guitar and mixing in some loops. But my wife has a pro level digital piano that would be nice to experiment with now and then.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2004, 07:04 PM

how much does that tascam cost? I really want a firewire solution for audio in and not USB. Like the MOTU 828 but cheaper and more affordable. I'd like something really simple like 4 audio inputs and a firewire ouput. I don't like USB for audio because of the unstable latency issues.
I got it for $345 on eBay in original packaging but it sells online for $499.

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
So say I want to record a guitar, bass, audio, and drums all at once, I could hook up either four mics to that or things like the bass/guitar directly into that with one mic for vocals and one for drums and get four seperate tracks in GarageBand?

(Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a musician, not a recording arteeeest.)
Im actually not sure yet. One of my biggest questions is whether GB will allow for multitrack simultaneous recording. If it does, AWESOME, if not, other apps do. Ive been wanting to do this for a long time, GB just started the fire.

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 07:08 PM

This is exactly what I was talking about for a firewire audio interface ($400). This is a very good price point and capabilty mix.

Too bad garage band can't record two tracks at once. I think I might stay with Metro and upgrade to v.6. to use this baby.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...1119907053a313

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...onetodaythanks

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 07:34 PM

GarageBand pretty much did it for me... I was not so pleased when Apple was "planning" on charging $49 for all the iLife apps last time around. In my view, however, GarageBand is well worth me spending $49... I would have bought it if I could still download the iPhoto updates for free... I've always wanted to do more with sound, you can't go wrong with an iApp...

BTW: Anybody wonder why the name isn't something like iBand or iMusic, or or iPlay or some other name??? I assume it may partially have to do with a lack of free names from all the other iJunk out there today... But I'm sure they could have found something...

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
Mine is a Midiman UNO which cost me $35 CDN. It's the cheapest one I could find. It has one MIDI OUT and one MIDI IN with no THRU, and connects via USB.

OS X 10.3.2 couldn't recognize it on its own so I had to get a driver from the manufacturer.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 07:57 PM

Too bad garage band can't record two tracks at once.
Where did you find this info? Can you give a link? Thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
The midiman UNO mentioned above is fine - i have the midisport 2x2 by the same manufacturer.

Note that midiman is now M-Audio (they changed their name)

-s*

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by AlphaQuam:
Where did you find this info? Can you give a link? Thanks.
We still don't know this for sure. CoreAudio supports recording simultaneous tracks, it's just whether GB has an interface for it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
Only if :

Since you can assign instruments to each track by hand (should they not conform to GM standard - the drum map definitely should), it really just boils down to whether GarageBand can read standard MIDI files.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 08:32 PM

Well here is my concern;
No.

You need a power amp to drive a speaker.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 08:40 PM

Seems like we talked about this latency non-issue (by which I mean that the latency rates are unbelievable) a while back.

Can you comment on how the latency is with, say, 5 or 6 tracks of non-midi audio? Several guitar tracks and some vocals?
I use the Tascam US-428 4-channel in/2 channel out USB interface to record into Logic.

Monitoring through the drivers and Mac OS X itself had absolutely no noticeable latency.

Once I added Logic Platinum and started monitoring through the software...well, let's say I went back to hardware monitoring through my mixer, but then I play rhythm keyboard, tending towards a pretty timing-crucial funk style, so I have may be more critical than most, I don't know.

However: If they're selling this GarageBand as an amp simulator, the latency must be pretty damn low.

-s*

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 8, 2004, 08:51 PM

This thread in the new GarageBand forum at Apples site appears to answer my question about recording a live drum session with multiple mics on multiple tracks simultaneously.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Two line-level inputs, two switchable line-level/mic inputs.

It all hinges on whether GarageBand can record on more than one track at a time.

I don't see any record-enable switches on the individual tracks in the track window, so it's possible that it will only at most accept stereo input for a single selected mono or stereo track.

-s*

york28
Senior User
Jan 8, 2004, 09:08 PM

It was posted in a thread on osxaudio.com that BG supports recording into a single track at a time, which gives you either mono or stereo.

For anyone wanting to do multi-tracking on the budget, a good option might be Tracktion. It is still in Beta, but supposedly the final Mac version should be out soon. It has a similar interface to GB, but it does a whole lot more. $80.

And the link to that posting about recording capabilities is.....
here .
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 03:47 AM

I just got back from MWSF, and here are my thoughts on Garage Band:

I totally underestimated how fantastic this is to use! I think I found something new to do if I'm bored. I'm not musically inclined at all, but after playing around for ~15 minutes with garage band I felt like I had made something that sounded really good.

I posted a long time ago why I liked the iapps so much, the reasoning being that they actually encouraged me to buy hardware because the software is so good.

iphoto->digi cam
itunes-> ipod
imovie->dv cam (haven't gotten it yet, but within the next year or so)
idvd->dvd burner
garage band->usb keyboard and/or guitar

Garage band is another wonderful example how apple's software makes me a much more creative person

Forum Links
Forum Rules