Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > garage band

garage band
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 12:52 PM

Does anyone know if you can export a Midi file to an AIFF file with this software? I have an 400 MHz iMac DV/SE. On apple's web site they say Garage band will work with 600 MHz G3's and up. How big of a deal will that 200 MHz be anyway?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jan 7, 2004, 03:04 PM

You can't use any of the included instruments unless you have a G4, so I'd say that that will be a bigger stumbling block in fully utilizing GB.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by MAlan:
Does anyone know if you can export a Midi file to an AIFF file with this software?
well, you can't really "export" a midi file to aiff, since it's not audio. a midi file contains system messages, like note on, note off, etc. i'm sure you could import the midi file, assign a voice/voices to it, play the file back, and maybe save that output as some sort of sound file. don't know for sure, since i don't have the app. man, i really want this app, don't know if i can wait 10 days!

tr

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 05:03 PM

In the keynote demo, Jobs demonstrated GB's ability to mix down and import the song as an mp3 in iTunes. I can't but imagine that GB will export to AIFF as well. If your song only has a single track, that MIDI line, I'd expect you could export just that as an AIFF. There may be a more graceful way, of course...

When an app has two sys reqs for two levels of features, and you're well below the line for both of them... Well that's not good.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 10:42 PM

Yeah, I believe it was actually an aiff that he exported into iTunes, not mp3. The answer is definitely yes, it will convert MIDI into aiff. But quicktime will do that too.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by MAlan:
Does anyone know if you can export a Midi file to an AIFF file with this software? I have an 400 MHz iMac DV/SE. On apple's web site they say Garage band will work with 600 MHz G3's and up. How big of a deal will that 200 MHz be anyway?
a midi file is just the information, what note shoudl be played. before you "export" a midi file into aiff, you have to tell some program, what instrument shoudl be played with this information., qt is doing this for years.-

ptII of your question:
i tried to install soundtrack on my 450Cube - no way! the installer says, "sorry - too slow!"! so, i'm quite sure, you will not install GB on your system. or, you try to "hack" the installer, by fumbling in the pkgs, searching for a line "600 MHz" and change that into 400.- some brave heards (not me!) did that with soundtrack - it worked! but, it works painfull slow�- imagine, what GB is doing in your system: in REALTIME recording , playback many layers of music, real time synthesis of sounds�-

MAlan  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 08:38 PM

I have been multi-track audio recording with a program called Metro 5 on my 400 MHz iMac since 1999 with great results (very low latency). Metro 5 runs in OS 9 but there is a OS X upgrade I can get that specifically works on low end G3's.

This is audio remember not video. And I import video into my computer with my firewire DV camcorder. No...recording digital audio with garage band should not be a problem with my machine unless apple decides that they won't let me do it for some stupid reason i.e. the pkg installer saying 600 MHz.

The main problem I think is the fact that OS X uses so many more system resources so an audio app that is trying to do the same thing in OS X that is possible in OS 9 will get bogged down. I can still get a whole host of audio apps for OS 9 i.e. vst 2.0 software synths and various other programs that can plug into Metro 6 which still works in OS 9. The machine is more than capable of performing this task.

However, it is not very capable of encoding digital video. That is very processor intensive as I have found out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules