Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing Tiger from a disk image

Installing Tiger from a disk image
Stecchino
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 11:51 AM

I am the owner of a Tiger Family Pack and my father is currently spending time in Italy for business. I installed Tiger on my machine first and I would like very much for him to be able to install Tiger. THE PROBLEM: Sending the DVD's in the mail to Italy is excruciatingly slow. And to send them quickly is cost-prohibitive.

So, I have a disk image of the Tiger install DVD on my desktop. Seeing that he doesn't have a DVD burner, if I send it to him (via file sharing or FTP), can he use it to install Tiger? The problem seems that he won't be able to boot from the disk image. Does anyone know how this is possible?

He DOES have an older PowerMac lying around that he could potentially use it to install via Target Disk Mode. I was just trying to test this for him, but when I mount the disk image and the computer restarts to perform the install, the mounted disk image is lost and the it won't install. Then, if I hold down OPTION upon restart, it only sees my Mac HD as a startup disk.

I found "OSInstall.mpkg" inside the Mac OS Install DVD disk image. When I launch it, it's ready to install Tiger on any mounted volumes. So...as a test, I mounted my eMac's hard drive via FireWire Target Disk Mode. I erased the hard drive with Disk Utility and installed Tiger on the eMac.

I restarted the eMac all I get the usual startup screen with a no-smoking symbol replacing the normal white Apple symbol in the center of the screen, and Mac OS X does not start up.

Is there any way possible to install from a disk image of Mac OS without burning it on to a DVD? I know this must be possible somehow but need some help.

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 11:53 AM

FYI, after the installation failed to boot the eMac, I re-mounted the eMac hard drive via FW Target Disk mode and repaired permissions, but Disk Utility said no reparis were necessary.

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stecchino
I am the owner of a Tiger Family Pack and my father is currently spending time in Italy for business. I installed Tiger on my machine first and I would like very much for him to be able to install Tiger. THE PROBLEM: Sending the DVD's in the mail to Italy is excruciatingly slow. And to send them quickly is cost-prohibitive.

So, I have a disk image of the Tiger install DVD on my desktop. Seeing that he doesn't have a DVD burner, if I send it to him (via file sharing or FTP), can he use it to install Tiger? The problem seems that he won't be able to boot from the disk image. Does anyone know how this is possible?

He DOES have an older PowerMac lying around that he could potentially use it to install via Target Disk Mode. I was just trying to test this for him, but when I mount the disk image and the computer restarts to perform the install, the mounted disk image is lost and the it won't install. Then, if I hold down OPTION upon restart, it only sees my Mac HD as a startup disk.

I found "OSInstall.mpkg" inside the Mac OS Install DVD disk image. When I launch it, it's ready to install Tiger on any mounted volumes. So...as a test, I mounted my eMac's hard drive via FireWire Target Disk Mode. I erased the hard drive with Disk Utility and installed Tiger on the eMac.

I restarted the eMac all I get the usual startup screen with a no-smoking symbol replacing the normal white Apple symbol in the center of the screen, and Mac OS X does not start up.

Is there any way possible to install from a disk image of Mac OS without burning it on to a DVD? I know this must be possible somehow but need some help.
Yes.

First, create a partition of about 3 GB on the HD.

Then, expand the image to the partition. MAKE SURE you set it as read only.

Finally, reboot the machine with the option key held down, and select the installer partition. You must do it this way... if you try and double-click the installer from the mounted partition, OS X will say "you can't install from this volume" for some reason. But if you reboot with the option key down, it will see it, and you can go on from there. Done this a number of times with perfect success. Keys are making the image read-only, and option key booting.

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 01:50 PM

Great! I'll try it out this afternoon and post the results.

kiazer
May 5, 2005, 02:46 PM

will this work on a larger partition ?

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 03:04 PM

Here's what I did:
1. Opened Disk Utility.

2. Because the original Mac OS X install DVD disk image was in Read/Write format, I selected it from the list and chose "convert" at the top to make it Read Only (and selected NO encryption).

3. I then repartitioned the eMac's hard drive (which was mounted on my desktop via FireWire target disk mode) into two partitions (3.6 GB and 145 GB, respectively).

4. I selected the new, read-only disk image from the list and selected the "restore" tab.

5. I made sure the correct disk image was selected a chose the small partition. It took about 5-6 minutes to "restore" to that partition.

6. I ejected the eMac's hard drive from Disk Utility and disconnected the FireWire cable from the eMac and turned it off and waited a couple of seconds.

7. I turned the eMac on and forgot to hold down option as "CatOne" recommended.

RESULTS

The eMac turned on and loaded the installer beautifully. I was prompted with the typical "Choose the language to use for this installation" and the list of 15 languages. I chose English, deselected the additional fonts, printer drivers, and languages, and 5 minutes later Tiger was installed (it goes MUCH faster than when it reads from the DVD).

In my case, I forgot to hold down option and it still worked out. Thanks again for the tip, CatOne.

The Tiger disk image takes up about 2.6 GB of disk space. I created a partition of 4.0 GB, which came out to 3.6 GB. So, in my test example, I wasted about 1.0 GB of hard drive space.
( Last edited by Stecchino; May 5, 2005 at 03:19 PM. )

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by kiazer
Will what work? Can you be more specific?

kiazer
May 5, 2005, 05:41 PM

I have 2x120 gig drives --- One for data and one for the OS, is it possiable to put tiger on data make it read only and then boot from that ?

make sense?

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 06:04 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't see any reason why not. Are both drives internal? I don't think a Mac will see FireWire drives on boot up.

Let us know how it goes.

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 06:18 PM

You can install on any sized partition you want. The 3 GB partition is for the disk image to be expanded on. We're talking about creating space for the installer, which is about 2.5 GB. If you make it a 20 GB partition and put a 2.5 GB disk image on it, you're wasting a ton of space. This is just a "faux DVD" we're creating here.

kiazer
May 5, 2005, 07:22 PM

ya - but my 120 has data on it --- so formating it and repartitioning it is a no go --- but I can change it to read only for a hour and then I am all good ...

thanks
I will experiment

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 08:37 PM

if you have an ipod and a nice cool surface to lay it on i'm sure it would work...
iamwhor3hay

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 08:46 PM

Your dad is in Italy on business but has access to a PowerMac just lying around? Don't people who go away on business, especially to foreign countries, live in hotels and generally not bring things that are just going to end up lying around?

To repartition his drive, he's going to have to format it. If he formats it, he'll lose all his (probably important) data. Not to mention, he'll have a little partition on his drive that will go to waste until he reformats again. I'd recommend that your dad just wait and get Tiger when he gets home.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
if you have an ipod and a nice cool surface to lay it on i'm sure it would work...
Is that possible? With the technique described above?

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 01:34 AM

ya - but my 120 has data on it --- so formating it and repartitioning it is a no go --- but I can change it to read only for a hour and then I am all good ...

thanks
I will experiment
What?!

Ummm... no. You need a partition to expand the image onto.

Sheesh. Do you think repairing permissions fixes everything too?

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 01:48 AM

An iPod is just a (special) hard drive. You can "restore" the disc image to the iPod's drive, boot from the iPod, and install away.

And yes, the Mac will see Firewire drives if you hold down option after a restart.

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 05:58 AM

OK - I'm stuck at step 4!

My version of Disk Copy (iBook 700, Panther) doesn't have a "restore" tab.
Copying the files straight to it doesn't make it bootable.

Help!
I no longer have a signature.

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 06:15 AM

Oh wait... just found out that Panther isn't actually installed on this machine... (doh!).
Is there any other way to do it?
I no longer have a signature.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by bmedina
An iPod is just a (special) hard drive. You can "restore" the disc image to the iPod's drive, boot from the iPod, and install away.

And yes, the Mac will see Firewire drives if you hold down option after a restart.
That piece of info just made my life a whole lot easier.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2005, 08:40 AM

If the iPod in question is an iPod mini, you're risking its life by doing it. The regular sized iPods should be fine, although if you ever choose to actually run it off there longer than it takes to install, you are risking it. Those hard drives are not meant for such heavy abuse and Apple will not help you if you tell them you installed an OS on it.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2005, 11:16 AM

Actually, it's an original iPod, so Apple won't help me no matter what. But upon further reflection, I think I may look for another option, like target disk mode.

UberFu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by neilnet
OK - I'm stuck at step 4!

My version of Disk Copy (iBook 700, Panther) doesn't have a "restore" tab.
Copying the files straight to it doesn't make it bootable.

Help!
Yeah - that's a good question ??

I have 10.3 and Disk Utility will burn bootable images_ But the image has to be bootable to begin with_ So if someone is only finding images that peeple are making without the bootable feature of the image - then those images are no longer valid boot images_ Without some major hacking you won't be very likely to get the non-bootable partition to boot_

What gives ??

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
Your dad is in Italy on business but has access to a PowerMac just lying around? Don't people who go away on business, especially to foreign countries, live in hotels and generally not bring things that are just going to end up lying around?

To repartition his drive, he's going to have to format it. If he formats it, he'll lose all his (probably important) data. Not to mention, he'll have a little partition on his drive that will go to waste until he reformats again. I'd recommend that your dad just wait and get Tiger when he gets home.
If you must know, my father was staying with family friends where he has an office. He backs up his data regularly and he wanted an "erase and install."

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by UberFu
Yeah - that's a good question ??

I have 10.3 and Disk Utility will burn bootable images_ But the image has to be bootable to begin with_ So if someone is only finding images that peeple are making without the bootable feature of the image - then those images are no longer valid boot images_ Without some major hacking you won't be very likely to get the non-bootable partition to boot_

What gives ??
I'm a little uncertain what, specifically, you are asking, but I'll say this. No, most disk images are NOT bootable. However, when you restore the Mac OS X Install DVD disk image to the small partition in the steps outlined above, you CAN boot from that partition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules