Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The new iMac and WoW...

The new iMac and WoW...
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2005, 01:26 PM

Does the newer (albeit not so upgraded) video play it bearably? The only thing I ever have maxed is the texture detail; everything else is set to low.

I am looking at a 17" iMac right now and would love to know.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 01:47 PM

From everything I've heard, the X600 is nothing more than a rebranded 9600, so don't look there for a performance increase.

222 Posts! IT'S A SIGN.
Linkinus is king.

mindwaves
Nov 11, 2005, 04:37 PM

http://barefeats.com/im21b.html

Not WoW, but it has improved a lot.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
From everything I've heard, the X600 is nothing more than a rebranded 9600, so don't look there for a performance increase.
No iMac has the X600; it is the X600 Pro or X600 XT. Not a revolution of course, but a solid improvement over X600.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 08:38 PM

The new iMacs technically have significantly faster graphics than the old models. Before, it was a plain Radeon 9600: it wasn't the Pro or XT version, and those by themselves are a lot faster. It's true that the X600 Pro is basically the 9600 Pro on a PCIe bus, but the extra clock speed and bandwidth can add up.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
http://barefeats.com/im21b.html

Not WoW, but it has improved a lot.
Thanks for the link.

The performance seems good enough when viewing those benchmarks, but they are running a resolution outside the native res of the iMac's screen, which to me is not what I'd like to see. I want a benchmark at native res, at lowest, medium, and highest settings; after all, that's how I plan to play WoW.

I suspect the results would look significantly worse than the Bare Feats article show them to be if they benchmarked it in that way.

robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 11:23 PM

I'll tell you what I have been seeing,
I just bought a refurb iMac, so its the one right before the iSight iMac.
etc etc
with the 128mb vid card.

I just got it Monday, have not had the time to get more ram yet, but the first thing I did was load WOW on it.
And I can say, coming off a Dual 1.25 with a Ti4600, card, that my FPS have come up.
and it is very playable. Now I have had maybe a hour use on it since I got it, but I am very happy with it and I think the new ones should kick butt with WOW.

Rob

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 01:03 PM

Well I'll tell you that my stock new 20" iMac plays WoW just fine. It has really low system requirements in comaprison to other games of that type. A friend of mine was a beta tester playing it at or below requirements with no problems.
20" iMac G5 2.1 GHz 250 GB 512MB

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2005, 04:44 PM

One thing that really helps speed up 3d games, especially wow, is ATI AcceleratorII. You can overclock your iMac's (prev generation anyway) graphics chip by about 20% before it will start artifacting. You have to be careful about overclocking, but there is a forum that gives stats for different chips and success stories.

http://mapage.noos.fr/campahunta/index.html

Definitely helps to get some better frame rates out of wow.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2005, 04:51 PM

I loaded WoW on my Thinkpad with 1 GB of RAM, 1.6 Pentium M and a 64 MB ATI FireGL 9000 and it played pretty damned well at the native LCD res, so I would assume it would play somewhat the same on a 1.9 GHz G5, 1.5 GB of RAM and a n x600 Pro.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2005, 05:39 PM

WoW plays great on my iMac 2.0 w/ 1gig Ram. In full screen it plays better than my dual 2.5. I have to go to window mode on the dual for now. I have the X800 coming which should fix the issues.

WoW plays and looks nicer, on my iMac, than any of my other PC's range from 1.6Ghz and 64MB vram to 2.4Ghz with 128MB vram.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

nichols_david
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 12:13 AM

Evening lads,

I got the new imac yesterday. And they is only one word for it. Fantasic. I hammered it with install programs, running a **** load of apps and it didn't slow.

I have been trainined in windows and novell cert. but i am now a mac man. MAC

Forum Links
Forum Rules