Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini is making odd noise

Mac Mini is making odd noise
incognitto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 07:13 PM

Hello everyone I am wondering if anyone is having the same problem that I am. It's nothing crucial but it has become of an annoyance. I have a Mac Mini and at the start up section when booting my Mini the normal sound of apple is replaced with a extremely distorted version. I thought the speaker might be blown but after I booted my system up and ran ITunes it comes out sound as it always did, just right. So if any of ya'll have any suggestions in regards to this besides taking it to a Mac Mechanic that would be much appreciated.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2005, 04:17 PM

I don't know what it is but that's happened to the error sounds on a lot of Macs I've used - never the boot chime though. Sometimes it just plays the sound as though it is corrupted and I get a loud hizz or buzz.

One of my sound files actually got corrupted. It happened recently too. I had my error noise set as Funk and all of a sudden, it went screwy and never worked since. I checked the file in /system/sounds and sure enough, after playing the file in quicktime, it is silent now - file duration is zero. It's bizarre because the file still has a modification date way back in March and like I say, it only corrupted recently.

Here's the funk file as it is on my computer now:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9766615/Funk.aiff.html

I'm guessing something similar happened to your machine but to the sound file that is stored in your rom or firmware. I don't think there would be a way to fix that without a firmware patch. For the time being, you can turn the sound off using this app:

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/S.../index.en.html

incognitto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2005, 01:16 PM

Thanks I think that solved the problem for the time. But I so far checked it out only once and the chime prior to my problem would go on and off every now and then. But hey at least I don't have to hear the distortion anymore. Thanks

pregalla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2005, 06:43 PM

My father's Mac mini also has that horrible startup sound.
No matter if you turn down the volume before restarting.

Even if you have external speakers, the startup soun always comes from the internal speaker.
Not possible to hear it from the external speakers!

On my iMac that sound is great!

Cheers,

Pedro
iMac G5 20" rev.b, 250GB, 2GB, apple wireless mouse and keyboard

Forum Links
Forum Rules