Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any way to install Front Row if it didn't come with my computer?

Any way to install Front Row if it didn't come with my computer?
PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 02:02 PM

I have an 17" 1.67 and was wondering if there was any way to install front row onto it since it didn't come with it. Ir is front row useless without the remote control?

thanks!

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 02:24 PM

Front Row can not be legally installed on any macs other than the ones it ships on.

Do a search for MediaCentral at macupdate.com or versiontracker.com - it is actually better than Front Row in many aspects though not as swish graphically.

cms
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 02:35 PM

PHYMAC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 03:47 PM

I just did this and it works perfectly and is pretty sweet! Now if I only had a the remote! :-)

Thanks!

Originally Posted by cms

emark
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 11:34 AM

Phymac, if you have a bluetooth phone you can run an app to turn it into a remote

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...th_remote.html

usb bluetooth adapters are cheap if your box didn't come with one, I picked one up under $20 a few years ago.

If not , Ive seem third party clickers from Griffin or Geffen and a few others...

PHYMAC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 03:07 PM

Do you know if this works with other phones or just sony ericsson?

Originally Posted by emark
Phymac, if you have a bluetooth phone you can run an app to turn it into a remote

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...th_remote.html

usb bluetooth adapters are cheap if your box didn't come with one, I picked one up under $20 a few years ago.

If not , Ive seem third party clickers from Griffin or Geffen and a few others...

hotani
Senior User
Feb 26, 2006, 05:23 PM

I'm using MediaCentral and just ordered the ATI Remote Wonder to control it. They make a wonderful combination. The remote can be configured to handle any key or combo on the keyboard, and is RF which makes it perfect for my setup. Plus it was just under $30, can't really go wrong there. Just note, the CD that comes with it is PC-only, you have to download the software before using it.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules