Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Advantages of an ADC Membership

Advantages of an ADC Membership
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 10:17 AM

So as the title implies what are the advantages of an ADC membership, specifically the select flavor. I understand they have the inline free version which I now have.

I'm looking to get back into programming and I've not developed for the Mac so there's a learning curve that I'll be facing. I see that the Apple has headstart lessons now, and also some videos from last years WWDC conference for their premier ADC (and up) members.

I have some ideas for new applications that I'll be looking to develop with an eye to releasing them either as donationware or shareware (leaning towards donationware). I'm wondering if the 500 bucks will be money well spent to help me achieve my goal.

In addition to the headstarts that now being offered you also get a discount on a new computer, which coincidently comes close to the purchase price of the premier membership.

Any ADC members here that wish to chime in?
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Feb 1, 2008 at 03:36 PM. )

smitty825
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 12:54 AM

I think that the "free" membership would be fine for you.

(First, to be a non-free member, I believe the TOS requires that you develop software "for-sale." IANAL, so I don't know if donationware or shareware counts in this case)

The big advantage of having the pay-for memberships is having access to the testing lab (in person) and the ability to ask code-level questions directly to an Apple Employee. Apple also sends out a CD every month with all of the latest software updates, and a copy of the latest & greatest OS when it is released. The computer discount is nice, too.

I think that the headstarts are available to anyone with an Apple Developer account. (I've never looked at any of them...I probably should, though)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by smitty825 View Post
(First, to be a non-free member, I believe the TOS requires that you develop software "for-sale." IANAL, so I don't know if donationware or shareware counts in this case)
um, wrong. You don't have to develop software "for sale" to be a non-free member.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2008, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
um, wrong. You don't have to develop software "for sale" to be a non-free member.
Hmmm...they might have changed that recently. I know it was the case a few years ago when I was a member of the developer program...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 09:27 PM

It sounds like the online membership is best for you. About all the ADC membership gets you is a bit more access to information online, OS X betas, and a lot more newsletters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules