Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Slow InDesign

Slow InDesign
patpending
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2009, 04:48 PM

How to accelerate opening of and working with InDesign CS2 on my miniMAC , version 10.4.11 (Memory 512 MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 04:56 PM

More RAM.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 02:53 PM

You need

RAM.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 05:42 PM

Keep on Plan A:

Move on to Plan B:

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 05:47 PM

So Plan A is to solve the problem and Plan B is to create a whole new one?
Chuck
___

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 04:00 AM

The problem is that we don't know if his/her Mac mini is PowerPC or intel based. Be it the later he/she would need to upgrade to InDesign CS3 or CS4 in order to avoid running InDesign under Rosetta. There is not such a problem with Quark XPress 7 which is an Universal app.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
The problem is that we don't know if his/her Mac mini is PowerPC or intel based. Be it the later he/she would need to upgrade to InDesign CS3 or CS4 in order to avoid running InDesign under Rosetta. There is not such a problem with Quark XPress 7 which is an Universal app.
Show me this PPC Mini with 667Mhz DDR2 RAM.
Good catch on CS2 vs 3/4.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Good catch on the CPU, but all the newer versions of InDesign are universal, so I'm not sure where the win is in going with a newer Quark versus a newer InDesign. Also, I still think the RAM hit will probably be even bigger than the Rosetta hit on an Intel Mac with 512 MB RAM.
Chuck
___

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 06:21 PM

So, it is an intel Mac mini, hence the sluggish PowerPC InDesign performance. Anyhow, as stated by Chuckit -and given how bloated Adobe apps get with every new version- even updating to CS3 in order to run a native intel InDesign is not going to solve your problem, you would have to increase the RAM to 1 GB minimum, 2 GB better.
Ideally, that would remove your problem.

BTW: QXP 7 requires 128 MB RAM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 08:33 PM

I'm pretty sure InDesign "requires 128 MB RAM" in exactly the same way. Both Quark and Indy run like crap with less than a gig. It used to be that Quark was much less taxing on your system, but Quark 6 was a little worse and from what little I've used of the more recent versions, they only seem to have gotten fatter.
Chuck
___

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 06:40 AM

From Adobe's website:
Adobe InDesign CS4 cannot be installed if the remaining amount of system memory does not meet system requirements.

Which are 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended). So I presume he/she wouldn't be able to install CS4 there.

Anyhow, this is becoming an InDesign Vs. QXP debate which I guess is not of any help to the original poster… if he/she has to rely on and follow a given workflow.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2009, 11:59 AM

My understanding from our Mac consultant is, while InDesign is a universal binary, it is particularly tuned towards Intel. He suggested that InDesign would work better on our Mac Mini--not a particularly powerful machine, I guess--than our dual-processor G5, for that reason alone. So based on that, if you have the resources, maybe an investment in an Intel-based Mac might be prudent and possibly save money in the long run in terms of time saved through productivity gains.

Am I on track here? I'm just a poor graphic designer weaned on System 6.0.4.

Then again, if the machine is already Intel-based, then I concur with load-it-up-with RAM idea. That's always the first option, and sure did work great with my dual-G5 (oh, how I long for an Intel Mac!).
( Last edited by LaGow; Jul 11, 2009 at 12:11 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2009, 04:52 AM

Adobe fine tuning anything Mac related?, like what… Flash?, perhaps the intel Macs being much faster than the PowerPC has something to do with it, it is not like CS4 apps made good use of the multiple cores modern CPUs have…

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2009, 12:40 PM

Yeah, that's the story from our consultant, although considering Adobe's history in that regard you have a right to be incredulous. Personally, I think what you're saying about the overall speed gains brought by simply using an Intel Mac makes much more sense anyway.

But obviously, as has been stated previously, the best bang for your buck in any case is more RAM. Pageouts are a bitch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules