Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Playing Audible content in iTunes

Playing Audible content in iTunes
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 11:16 PM

I just downloaded my first audio book from Audible. It plays fine in iTunes 3 with one rather large quirk. Every time I click the play button, it asks me to verify my Audible account information. According to iTunes help, I am only supposed to have to do this once. Further, I can't play the book if I don't have an internet connection.

I've tried removing the account information (Advanced menu) thinking I could then just reauthenticate. But I can't remove the account information. No matter how many times I try, it's still there.

Any ideas?

Chris

mpetrides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 11:16 AM

This is definitely not the way it is supposed to work. Since this is not happening to me (and I have 4 different Audible accounts I am accessing through iTunes), I can't really suggest a way to fix it.

I suggest you call Audible tech support on Monday. If nothing else works, they can reset your account on their servers. At that point you should be able to re-log/authenticate your account once and be done.

Originally posted by chabig:
I just downloaded my first audio book from Audible. It plays fine in iTunes 3 with one rather large quirk. Every time I click the play button, it asks me to verify my Audible account information. According to iTunes help, I am only supposed to have to do this once. Further, I can't play the book if I don't have an internet connection.

I've tried removing the account information (Advanced menu) thinking I could then just reauthenticate. But I can't remove the account information. No matter how many times I try, it's still there.

Any ideas?

Chris

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by mpetrides:
I suggest you call Audible tech support on Monday. If nothing else works, they can reset your account on their servers. At that point you should be able to re-log/authenticate your account once and be done.
Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I got that from someone else on another board and will definitely do it.

Chris

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2002, 12:53 PM

This morning I called Audible and they reset the account on their servers. But iTunes still won't let me remove the account. And it still requires me to enter my audible username and password before it will play an audible file. So I'm forced to be online if I want to listen to any of my audible selections.

I reinstalled iTunes but that didn't fix the problem. There must be a file somewhere on my Mac where iTunes stores the audible account info. I'd like to try to delete that file and see what happens. Does anyone know where it might be. I've looked in my Library, my /library/preferences/ and even deleted and rebuilt my iTunes 3 Music Library file and my iTunes Music Library.xml file. All to no avail.

Any help finding the audible account info would be much appreciated.

Chris

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2002, 01:19 PM

A similar problem once happened to a friend of mine with Mail.app. I believe he solved it by investigating his Keychain. I think that maybe his keychain password and his account password were different and that was confusing the system.... other than that I don't know.

Maybe he just had his keychain locked all the time.

mpetrides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2002, 09:44 PM

Chris,

Once you figure this out, please let us know what worked. I'm now thoroughly confused by what's happening to you (Now THAT'S a reassuring thought, eh? ;-0)

Originally posted by chabig:
This morning I called Audible and they reset the account on their servers. But iTunes still won't let me remove the account. And it still requires me to enter my audible username and password before it will play an audible file. So I'm forced to be online if I want to listen to any of my audible selections.

I reinstalled iTunes but that didn't fix the problem. There must be a file somewhere on my Mac where iTunes stores the audible account info. I'd like to try to delete that file and see what happens. Does anyone know where it might be. I've looked in my Library, my /library/preferences/ and even deleted and rebuilt my iTunes 3 Music Library file and my iTunes Music Library.xml file. All to no avail.

Any help finding the audible account info would be much appreciated.

Chris

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 05:01 PM

Keychain access was a good idea. But that's not it either. I don't have an audible account listed in my keychain, and I even unlocked the keychain to see if it made any difference--it didn't.

Chris

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2002, 08:00 AM

This is just a note to let all of you know that I solved the problem of iTunes wanting to validate my Audible account every time I played an Audible file. I think the method I finally used is interesting. Here's how I did it...

1. On my son's iMac, he's never listened to an Audible.com file so his machine is an Audible virgin.
2. I copied one of my Audible files to his desktop.
3. Then I went to the date and time preference pane and set his machine's date to 12:01 AM tomorrow morning (8/19/02).
4. Then I opened iTunes and dragged the Audible file to the iTunes window. This copied it to his music library and registered his machine with Audible.com
5. I then took his machine off the network and verified that iTunes still played the Audible file.
6. Then I used Sherlock to find all files modified on 8/19/02
7. Since there were only a few files, it was easy to identify the desired file as /Library/Preferences/com.audible.data.plist

Now I knew where the registration data was stored. For some unknown reason, this file did not exist on my iBook. So on my son's iMac, I removed the audible account using iTunes. The com.audible.data.plist was modified but was still on his machine. I copied it to my iBook, set the proper owner and group, set the proper privileges (to match whay my son's machine had) and opened iTunes. When I tried to play an Audible file, it asked for my registration and modified the preference file. Then I turned off my networking...everything worked perfectly.

So I have no idea how or why iTunes didn't create the proper com.audible.data.plist file when it was supposed to. But I've solved the problem and everything is OK now. This must have been a unique problem, because nobody on any web forum, nor Apple Support, nor Audible support, had any idea how to help.

Chris Habig

Forum Links
Forum Rules