Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Annoying badges upper right of screen

Annoying badges upper right of screen
kevs
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2019, 07:03 PM

I get a lot of these. Used to automatically think fault of Growl, but I think it could all sorts culprits? Current nuisance see distracting me are:
recovery unmounted
ip address update
mac hd @snapp mounted
hollywood reporter
washington post

How do i get rid of all these coming up. Thanks!!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 4, 2019, 10:23 PM

System Preferences -> Notifications

Go through each app/service. Turn down (or off) the ones you don't want to see.

Nuclear option: the Do Not Disturb choice at the top. Disable notifications all around the clock. If it won't allow you to block 12:00 - 12:00, then block 12:01 - 12:00, so they can only appear during 1 minute of the day.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2019, 10:34 PM

Reader, wash post/ hollywood report, News, don't see anything preferences.

recovery , ip address, mad hd -- WHICH is not my Mac HD. clueless. No clues where this stuff originates from. That why I posted.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 4, 2019, 11:48 PM

kevs, perhaps more attention to spelling. It's hard to read what you posted.

Sys Prefs -> Notifications -> News -> uncheck everything. That should kill Washington Post, Hollywood Reporter, etc.

Turn off notifications for other apps, anything that looks related to the ones you don't like.

Or Sys Prefs -> Notifications -> Do Not Disturb -> Turn on Do Not Disturb: [x] From: [06:00] to [06:00] (this should kill all notifications)

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2019, 02:43 PM

Thanks reader, ok turned off almost all of them except calandar, and growl hardware growl. will let know how goes...

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2019, 05:03 PM

Mac @ snap still going stong reader, any clue? very annoying....

reader50
Administrator
Dec 5, 2019, 05:25 PM

I don't know what "Mac @ snap" is, so no.

Also, do you have Growl installed? If so, I don't remember it having per-app controls. You might have to disable Growl completely, to avoid something sneaking through that way. Growl notifications look almost exactly like system Notifications.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2019, 10:26 PM

thanks Reader, have both Growl and Hardware Growl.. the one I like for years is Hardware Growl which just let you know your external has officially ejected. Hence, I could eliminate Growl, and then wont see the annoying Mac@ snapp .
but about : recovery drive ejected/ mounted? That one is the most persistently nuisance badge. Is that Growl or Hardware Growl.. ? not sure it's even a real hardrive, and have no idea why always ejecting and mounting. I do know, I have no need to know about it!

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2019, 07:22 PM

Reader News have all 5 checkkbox unchecked, and yet wash post badge just came up, stumped.

Those system things are Growl off; yet still come up. cant be left alone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules