Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I love my Albook 15"

I love my Albook 15"
bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 03:07 PM

Quality control problems aside that plagued so many, my new Albook 15 1,25 is truly awesome.

-zippy, apps feel faster even with X.2.7 built in (expecting 10.3 by the mail any day now),
-display's incredible (almost as good as my LaCie electron blue 19 crt, yes that good)
-build feels solid,
-no white spots (crossing my fingers on that one)
-Superdrive is awesome,
-HD 80 is fine, but I have a Lacie 200 Gb so... storage and speed wasn't a problem to start with,
-love the backlit k/b, very cool, autobrightness is very useful too,
-no problem with the lid or the latch,
-dvi/vga connector good, external monitor starts fuzzing a wee bit at 1600X1200,
-The Radeon is verrry cool.... actually, for the first time I can play all my older games and watch my cd-rom collection that hadn't been converted to the X, in classic mode. Classic boots up superfast btw.

Just 1 or 2 burnt pixels but on the sides, where toolbars are usually (photoshop, flash etc) so it doesn't bother me that much. It's to be expected anyway with an lcd display.

battery jiggles just a bit when you pick up the laptop from underneath, nothing that a tiny slice of rubber won't fix.

Battery life's not that bad, it's to be expected with all the bells and whistles this baby has. The Li/ion battery system is partly to blame, generally unable to handle higher power demands... so don't expect that 3 Ghz DP Albook G5 anytime soon!

Overall it's awesome. I thought I'd met a summit when I bought my Tibook a few years back, but this one is incredible.

Definitely a

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by bobette:
Quality control problems aside that plagued so many, my new Albook 15 1,25 is truly awesome.

-zippy, apps feel faster even with X.2.7 built in (expecting 10.3 by the mail any day now),
-display's incredible (almost as good as my LaCie electron blue 19 crt, yes that good)
-build feels solid,
-Superdrive is awesome,
-HD 80 is fine, but I have a Lacie 200 Gb so... storage and speed wasn't a problem to start with,
-dvi/vga connector good, external monitor starts fuzzing a wee bit at 1600X1200,
-The Radeon is verrry cool.... actually, for the first time I can play all my older games and watch my cd-rom collection that hadn't been converted to the X, in classic mode. Classic boots up superfast btw.

Just 1 or 2 burnt pixels but on the sides, where toolbars are usually (photoshop, flash etc) so it doesn't bother me that much. It's to be expected anyway with an lcd display.

battery jiggles just a bit when you pick up the laptop from underneath, nothing that a tiny slice of rubber won't fix.

Battery life's not that bad, it's to be expected with all the bells and whistles this baby has. The Li/ion battery system is partly to blame, generally unable to handle higher power demands... so don't expect that 3 Ghz DP Albook G5 anytime soon!

Overall it's awesome. I thought I'd met a summit when I bought my Tibook a few years back, but this one is incredible.

Definitely a

I have to agree with you.
I don't have any white spots either, and I have had it since the 1 october, so that's a month now.
Just installed panther some days ago, and I love it.
Expose is just super cool.

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 03:33 PM

I forgot, Airport range is about twice as far as with the TiBook.

Way kewl.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by dennis88:
I have to agree with you.
I don't have any white spots either, and I have had it since the 1 october, so that's a month now.
Just installed panther some days ago, and I love it.
Expose is just super cool.
Great news! Its nice to finally here some postives on the PB!

blakej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 09:05 PM

-build feels solid,
-Superdrive is awesome,

Definitely a

Returned my Albook to Apple Care to repair lid latch, and those now famous white spots in the LCD. I do like everything else. Apple has had mine since Oct 12, still no word on when it will be returned.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 08:16 PM

Perfect PB here
Force

KBFinFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 08:30 PM

I recieved my 15" 1.25Ghz PB on September 23rd I believe, after following rumors since May I ordered it after the 9/16 announcement.

Here's what I have to say:

Being my first Apple this thing is awesome- it is also my first laptop so it's like I am exploring a whole new computing world. Latch closes perfectly to a thin 1.1"

Screen is beautiful with no dead pixels- one very light white spot that is only noticeable on a white background when 'studying' for it. This is certainly not of enough concern to send it back, although I am watching it.

G4 and 512 MB RAM - very zippy computer and feels a little quicker after the Panther upgrade (Expose is amazing)

Superdrive - Still waiting to test it out

Keyboard - Was planning on an external wireless one, but the keyboard is so solid and whole I enjoy it too much. (Oh ya, having a lit keyboard is awesome too!)

Overall this computer is truly wonderful. It is beautiful, and using a Mac is truly an experience in itself. As I descriibed on another site, it is if the computer has a soul. It is not just a machine it is like a companion.

One happy 15" user here, and I hope Apple makes good on all the issues others are having

MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 08:40 PM

I too am very happy with my 15" powerbook. I've had mine since 10/6 and truly enjoy using it.

My only problems stem from the OS (backlit keyboard doesn't always come on when it's supposed to after sleep for an extended period).

I upgraded from a Wallstreet II w/Powerlogix 500MHz G4 installed. My wife got that computer and is very happy with it...outside of one or two tiny nicks it's in excellent shape. I hope my Al 1.25 GHz wears as well...

cobra7869
Nov 5, 2003, 12:31 PM

I just wanted to say thanks. It is really really nice to hear some positive feedback about the new 15" PowerBooks. I understand problems occur, and this forum is a great place to share info as I do the same, but it is definitely nice to hear some good feedback for those that are on the fence and/or trying to make decisions.

You start to see so many faces and it gets discouraging.

Obviously this forum consisits of a range of user types, but mostly "power" users. Understanding problems and flaws will always exisit in all Revisions of equipment, fair evaluations and praise is a nice change.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:39 PM

On macbidouille there's a pseudo stat going around that of the 167 000 Albooks shipped since sept, only 0,4% are affected by the white spots.

Puts things into perspective. Not exactly pandemic in its scale.

Then again I'm crossing my fingers. One week now and no spots.

And.... damn the screen is bright and sexy! I just love it.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some dog sh!t to scoop up in the yard. Not a pretty sight.

( Last edited by bobette; Nov 5, 2003 at 12:47 PM. )

hillcrest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 02:55 PM

great 1.25 15".

had the latch problem, but with use it works well now.

have had this machine for 5 wks. and am very happy. It is very well made. what a beautiful design.

p.s. I use the $23 logitech wheelmouse (3 button- optical) and it is very smooth.
Al 1.25

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 07:41 PM

Got this 15"incher last Thursday and its not had one single hardware problem with it at all.

On saturday however, 10.2.8 did FUBAR on me at a wedding when i was using iPhoto. I had totally lost the use of the finder and nothing i did worked to get it back other than create a new account, give myself the same rights and back everything up and start over. On the day i had to start over, a delivery came to my house and it was Panther... the Panther i never ordered.

Plain sailing since then!

Also to add further weight to the brilliance of this machine, i have had it on Reduced all the time since Thursday, showed a friend when it was running Warcraft 3 and it played like a dream.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

BlueCat
Nov 5, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
... a delivery came to my house and it was Panther... the Panther i never ordered.
Huh? Did you get the upgrade sent to you for free???
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 11:42 PM

Salut Bobette,

Oui, je l'ai jeudi dernier. Ils m'ont install� la RAM en magasin et j'ai commande un sac Marware pour seulement 42$ can.

Une semaine plus tard, j'ai aucun probl�me avec pour l'instant.

� +
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Bonhomme7heures:
Salut Bobette,

Oui, je l'ai jeudi dernier. Ils m'ont install� la RAM en magasin et j'ai commande un sac Marware pour seulement 42$ can.

Une semaine plus tard, j'ai aucun probl�me avec pour l'instant.

� +
Cool mon gars! As-tu �t� sur le site d'apple.ca pour ta m�j vers 10.3? (30$, je devrais recevoir la mienne cette semaine).

� plusse!

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 11:59 PM

Actually I need to get my lovefest going...just bought my Powerbook 15" 1.25 today...and it's still in the box. Just got off the phone with fedex and they left my Booq package at my neighbors--the ones I don't see for days on end...i gave them a piece of my mind...oh well...guess i'd better start opening it...

Terrance

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by terrancew_hod:
Actually I need to get my lovefest going...just bought my Powerbook 15" 1.25 today...and it's still in the box. Just got off the phone with fedex and they left my Booq package at my neighbors--the ones I don't see for days on end...i gave them a piece of my mind...oh well...guess i'd better start opening it...

Terrance
Enjoy Dude! We're all crossing our fingers here fer'ya!

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 12:21 AM

Thanks! I'm admiring the connectors and cables...powerbook is still in the box...

I'm a sad case...

Terrance

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 12:24 AM

Thanks! I'm admiring the connectors and cables...powerbook is still in the box...

I'm a sad case...

Terrance
We're all pathetic but, hey, you're not alone!

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 01:40 AM

Well it's all powered up...but unfortunately i found the dreaded spot...just one, but it's got to go back...

Guess I'll play around with it for a day or two and have it fixed...

Terrance

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 01:46 AM

Well it's all powered up...but unfortunately i found the dreaded spot...just one, but it's got to go back...

Guess I'll play around with it for a day or two and have it fixed...

Terrance
Sh!t it sucks! Post a pic?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 02:04 AM

unfortunately i found the dreaded spot...just one, but it's got to go back...
Damn, that sucks!! Sorry to hear about your new PowerBook getting the dreaded white spot.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 02:06 AM

Sh!t it sucks! Post a pic?
I could but you all have seen the spot before...

Terrance

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 02:09 AM

I could but you all have seen the spot before...

Terrance
Where's it located?

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by BlueCat:
Huh? Did you get the upgrade sent to you for free???
I have Student ADC but i never knew i was entitled to a copy.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 07:03 AM

Where's it located?
it's at the middle left side of the screen.

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 02:42 AM

Cool mon gars! As-tu �t� sur le site d'apple.ca pour ta m�j vers 10.3? (30$, je devrais recevoir la mienne cette semaine).

� plusse!

Bizarre, moi �a dit "on/or before 18/11/2003?

Anyway, je vais finir par l'avoir.

------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

RGray02
Nov 8, 2003, 05:55 PM

Ive posted this a couple of times, but I have a 1ghz albook (am i the only one??), and I havent had any problems, though I am suspicious...

My Xbench scores for panther dropped from jaguar. And warcraft is running mighty strangely, as in slow.

Im pumping more ram in there next week. hopefully the move up from 256 to 768 will help.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

Zemrec
Nov 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

Congrats on the 'book. I just picked one up myself, same specs. I'm lovin' it!

No complaints at all (except my credit...a whole chunka MORE DEBT!!! GAHHH!). I just ran Pixel Check, couldn't see even one stuck pixel or white spot!

This machine is awesome! Best computer I've ever owned. Now I need to get rid of a few old ones sitting around.

Actually, I do have one complaint. I tried it out last night sitting in bed. This sucker gets hot on the bottom! Much hotter than my iBook 700. But I'll mostly be using it at my desk so it's not that big a deal.
( Last edited by Zemrec; Nov 8, 2003 at 07:39 PM. )

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2003, 07:45 PM

It's day 2 with the new powerbook (exchanged the old one with the spot). So far so good; Been working at the kitchen table all day using airport to my SMC wireless router (I have a wireless network with PCs and macs at my house). Tried playing a game last night (Spyhunter), there were some graphical glitches and then it aborted in panther...i'll have to investigate that...

But I'm still in the process of moving everything to the laptop. My mailbox, safari prefs and address book has been successfully moved and I install MS' remote desktop, citrix in order to connect to work and client networks...I'm loving the laptop and it's great to work around the house and take my laptop places....

Terrance

wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 09:26 PM

The title says it. After white spots, and a system that would not tolerably run Panther, I decided that selling my 17 for the new 15 was a big mistake. I purchased a rev. A 17" powerbook from powermax, and now feel that I am back with a good, solid, fast, sexy apple powerbook.

What a mistake it was selling my AL17 to replace it with a lemon. After 2 days back with my 17 I am kicking myself that I ever sold my previous one. All is perfect, and the screen size is -- well -- miraculous.

It really is true. Once you use the 17, it is *very* hard to go back to an ordinary laptop --it is obviously impossible to accept a lemon after near perfection.

David Mussington

macwayne
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 12:58 PM

love my powerbook, never had a problem with the screen (no white spots), latch or heat.'

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 11:11 PM

yeah, i love mine too. this is my first mac, and i'm liking it. i build/repair/upgrade pc's on the side, and i wanted something new. the 15" 1.25 is the ticket. i've only had it for a few weeks now, but no white spots or other issues. mine was a custom build, so maybe that's the ticket now. or, maybe i'll have problems down the road. all i know is, for now, it's a nice little machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules