Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Speed bump tomorrow?

Speed bump tomorrow?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:23 PM

Any thoughts on macrumors suggestion that we will see two speed bumps tomorrow--17" up to 1.42 and 15" up to 1.33?

http://page2.macrumors.com/

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Any thoughts on macrumors suggestion that we will see two speed bumps tomorrow--17" up to 1.42 and 15" up to 1.33?

http://page2.macrumors.com/
Probably true...as I get my 1.33 17" on Wednesday.

ce la vie

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by NYCfarmboy

Probably true...as I get my 1.33 17" on Wednesday.
Almost certainly you will get the newer machine. Or be given the option to do so. This seems to be what's been happening recently.

djjava
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 12:40 PM

what will we expect in January if they update tomorrow? 2.0ghz PB17s???

ooh, that would be sweet...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:40 PM

hmmmm...well it was shipped from Amazon last week so doubtful.

I got a free iSight with mine which made it a very good deal!

Anyhow..not a big deal... I will be very happy at 1.33. What I really wanted was a dual 1.42 17" laptop..now THAT would cause me to upgrade from the 1.33 in a heartbeat.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by djjava

what will we expect in January if they update tomorrow? 2.0ghz PB17s???
No, because Motorola has stopped development on the G4. So 1.42ghz is as fast as the G4 will ever get.

nagromme
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 04:28 PM

MacConnection just FINALLY received my PowerBook 1.25 from Apple today, after weeks of waiting... if it ships a day before a speed boost, I sure hope I get some discount via Apple price protection! (1.33 is really just a tiny boost over 1.25 of course.)

The one reason I can see Apple boosting the MHz slightly is availability: if they are having trouble meeting demand, and Moto has some slightly faster chips, then using them lets Apple start shipping PBooks again sooner. Maybe.
nagromme

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 04:34 PM

Well i hope it's true.. but i think it won't happen. Why? I have no idea.

I'm trying to get hold of a 15" powerbook since 11-27-03 but no luck yet. All the stores in the Netherlands are out of stock.
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Alpha-sphere:
Well i hope it's true.. but i think it won't happen. Why? I have no idea.

I'm trying to get hold of a 15" powerbook since 11-27-03 but no luck yet. All the stores in the Netherlands are out of stock.
Buy it online. Better deals and no tax. Plus it's shipped to you.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 05:05 PM

skyman: I think it depends on where it's shipped too. If you buy it from the Apple Store online, you will be taxed, even if you don't have an Apple retail store in your state (in the US) . Now as for the other merchants like MacMall, ClubMac, etc. my guess is that the shipping (especially for international shipping) could be high.

DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 05:49 PM

I would say that the 12 inch is the one most needing an upgrade.

With Halo due out later this week or early next week, the 12 inch model has barely minimum specs to run this game.

Now I know that folks who purchase 12 inch powerbooks may not be planning to play games..Still, in the past Apple has made the point on their technical specs of pointing out how many FPS you might get in Quake 3 as a demonstartion of the "power" of the PB. I would think having one of your top of the line professional PB models barely up to the minimum specs (ie. 1 Ghz (min is 800), and 32 Meg Graphic card (min 32)) for a highly anticipated game, is not a great selling point?

When do you think the 12-inch will be upgraded?

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by skyman:
Buy it online. Better deals and no tax. Plus it's shipped to you.
I can't, my (Student) credit card has a max of �2500 euro's and the powerbook is over �2500.