Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Dock and Dual Displays

The Dock and Dual Displays
aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 04:38 PM

Is there anyway to get my dock to be anchored on the right-hand of my main screen when I have my dual display set up to be off the right-side of the main screen? I guess that sounds confusing. Here is my set up. I have a cinema display and my powerbook sitting to the right of it. The cinema display is my main screen (1) and the powerbook is my secondary screen (2). With this setup, my dock anchors to the right-hand of the the pb screen. So is there anyway to override this?

I would just put my PB on the other side of the display, but the way my desk is set up, there isn't much room over there. Any suggestions?

-b

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 05:11 PM

as far as i know, this cannot be done. i too want my dock on the right side of my left monitor. i have left feedback at apple with each os release...maybe one day they will work it in...
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

mishap
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 07:02 PM

i agree. this is a problem.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 05:08 PM

I had a similar issue with my preference for the Dock's position and my desk space conflicting. What I did was set up the monitor to wrap on the left side even though the second one was physically on the right. It sounds weird, but it only took me a few days to get used to it. Now when I go to a regular dual monitor setup, I find myself losing the mouse because I think the monitor should wrap on the other side.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Keda
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 08:18 PM

Can you use TinkerTool to fix the problem?

I'm not sure if Im understanding you desire correctly, but I have dual monitors and used TinkerTool to lock the Dock to the end position. I can use the Displays Pref Panel to move the menu bar to either monitor and choose which arrangement I want.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Keda:
Can you use TinkerTool to fix the problem?

I'm not sure if Im understanding you desire correctly, but I have dual monitors and used TinkerTool to lock the Dock to the end position. I can use the Displays Pref Panel to move the menu bar to either monitor and choose which arrangement I want.
no, tinkertool does not deal with this specific positioning issue. i actually had written to that programmer as well asking if he could add it to tinkertool but at the time he said he could not.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 09:12 AM

If you think about it, even if TinkerTool were able to do that, it would defeat one of the nice UI elements of the Dock -- the "mile deep" app bar. I think the dock would be awkward bordering on unusable if the edge of the screen (bottom/side of the Dock) didn't stop your mouse. Additionally, having it placed on the edge would make hitting that small target even harder because you would constantly be worried of grossly overshooting your target by three inches on the next screen. While I agree dual monitors plus the Dock on the side is a bit of a problem, "solving" it would present an even greater UI issue.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 09:24 AM

I guess what you want is for the dock to become a palette. That's a very interesting idea. It could be like the palettes in Adobe apps and could be hidden as well.

himself
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 06:23 PM

If I got this right, the way aapljack wants his setup is for the cinema display to be the main display, and the PB (screen two) is where the dock would be... as it stands now, the dock and the menu bar must both be with the main display. I'm sure a hack will eventually be developed, but personally, I think the current system should be left as is, for ergonomic reasons.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules