Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB Hardware Issue

PB Hardware Issue
Saramin
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 09:13 AM

I have something of an odd issue. About two hours ago my Rev C 12" PB started humming. It's this faint, high-pitched soft whine. Tilting the chassis would slow the hum until the PB came to rest. The machine then froze up slowly and eventually became inoperable. I rebooted, waited a bit. PB booted fine, worked fine for 5 minutes. Then I heard faint "pings" at odd intervals and the humming sounds soon after. Then the PB again crashed. It seems to be working fine now but I'm still hearing a faint humming.

There is no distinctive clicking or scratching as is usual with a HD failure and both DiskUtility SMART status and SMARTReporter are giving me green indicators. Any thoughts what it could be? I've backed up everything just in case.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2006, 11:46 PM

It sounds like the first hum would be the fan, the freezing would be something to do with RAM, the pings are bad RAM pings. Also, the HD could be bad. When my rev a is tilted it freezes the HD but you don't hear anything. I would call Apple if it is under warrenty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules