Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > QT editor for windows

QT editor for windows
jnicholas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 11:16 AM

I'm compressing a lot of long format videos. iMovie has been perfect since it saves a quicktime pointer file that just references all the capture clips. I can drag that pointer file into cleaner or squeeze and compress the entire movie.

I'd like to move this to a windows box for several reasons. 1) to compress to WM9, 2) to take advantage of processor speeds and 3) to leave my mac free for me.

Is there a windows program that will let me capture the same way iMovie does? I want to avoid a separate publish step since some of these videos are nearly 2 hours and I'm not doing any editing other that clipping to the ends. I can capture on the mac and move the drive to the PC but I'd like to leave my mac out of the whole process.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 01:32 PM

I think QTPro would be perfect for you. It has simple cut/copy/paste ability (arrows for stepping, cmd-b to zero selection, everything else is obvious), saves reference movies and is feature complete on both platforms (though much more buggy on Win I've heard, for instance no non-ascii character support in file names). I use it constantly for removing commercials from tv caps. It's the fastest workflow I could imagine for that task.

edit: oh yeah, it doesn't capture, but I'm sure there are many options for just capturing, and as long as they don't capture to MPEG or WMV QT should have no trouble with the files

Forum Links
Forum Rules