Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Cracks and Apple Support

MacBook Cracks and Apple Support
Flickie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 07:35 PM

Apple really have made me feel very bitter and sour. You may all think I'm being petty but anyhow.

Pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ckie/Crack.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...kie/crack2.png

My Experience

I rang Apple Tech Support up today just to ask whether I should travel 50 miles to my nearest Apple Store to get my MacBook fixed. A crack has appeared on the bottom of the Macbook in the top right corner. I haven't dropped the MacBook or abused it. Its just appeared but it does get quite hot in that corner so it maybe due to the heat. I then explained that the grey flush the keyboard sits in, a piece of it has broken off in the bottom right corner when I lifted my MacBook lid off.

The Apple Tech Person told me to take my MacBook to the Apple Store by making a reservation for the Genius Bar through the Internet. He also said they will fix it free because it's under warranty.

I make an Appointment for the Apple Store for 8:20pm. Out of Rush hour, plus after college. I set off, pay for the petrol to get there. Takes me 1 hour 20 minutes to get to the Apple Store.

I go to the Genius Bar where I wait till 8:30 to get served. The "Genius Guy" didn't even apologise for being late, just asked "Name?". I told him. Reply "How can I help?".

I explained the situation where I asked the Tech Guy on the phone whether or not to bring it down because the Apple Store is a long distance away from where I live and that the Tech Guy said it was under warranty and you would be able to fix it free.

The "Genius Guy" gets hold of my MacBook takes one look and accuses me of cracking the MacBook and pulling the flush off. "You've done that with force." I don't open my MacBook on the right hand side. There is a lip in the middle which you pull to open it. I explained how I was worried about dirt and dust getting in but he explained its heavily shielded and dirt and dust wouldn't damage the components. I then asked about the crack, "You've done that it can't have happened on its own.". He said I could of put it on something hot. I told him that my MacBook gets really hot by doing the most simplest tasks like watching a Dvd or watching a youtube video. "Well the MacBook is designed so it is protected from the heat". I then asked if he would be able to fix it? "No, not under warranty the casing isn't covered", the Tech Guy said I was. I clearly explained on the phone that it was a casing problem.

The "Genius Guy" then had a cheek to offer to print off an invoice for the repair cost. Basically he could fix it but I would have to pay. The machine is only 6 months old!

I left with my MacBook and highly upset at how Apple have treated me. I've been told 2 different things, one saying I can get a repair the other no not unless you pay for it.

I've been looking around the Internet and have seen many people with the same problem and so I know it's not just me.

The crack is small and the gap in the Grey flush may cause no harm but why should I pay £749 for a MacBook that is going to crack and come to pieces? I shouldn't. This machine cost me a lot of money, and as a student £749 could cover tuition fees or help with my rent.

I laugh at how they were so nice to me when I bought the MacBook but when I come to complain they don't want to know.

Also I think I would have been treated differently by the "Genius Guy" if I didn't look 16. If I came in saying it was a computer from a Business and if I was much older I would have been treated with a lot more respect that he gave me.

Does anyone know if Apple have a complaints department? I am really dissatisfied with the way I have been treated. My time and money have been wasted and my trust in Apple have seriously been dented.

Rant over.

Ruf993Turbo
Jan 30, 2007, 07:46 PM

Ask for the address for their OOP (Office of the President) and write to them. I find that if you do this with most companies, they will usually help rectify the issue.

Flickie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ruf993Turbo View Post
Ask for the address for their OOP (Office of the President) and write to them. I find that if you do this with most companies, they will usually help rectify the issue.
Where or who would I ask for this information?

Thanks

Jon90
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 09:25 AM

Have a look at

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...e/#post3170382

Mine is cracked on the front left - and apple are just saying that I must have done it.

It is my first Mac and at this rate it will be my last. I will tell as many people as possible as it is a disgusting way to treat customers.

I have written to Apple in Ireland but they do not seem to be listening

Post your progress so we can see what happens.

Flickie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 09:32 AM

Oh I posted this problem on the Apple Discussion forums on their support site. Guess what? They took the thread down without any reason. What does that tell you?

Anyhow Round 2:

Rung Trading Standards. They told me because I reported it within 6 months of buying the MacBook I should tell them I wanting sorting under the Sales of Goods act, which Apple have to prove that I have done this damage myself, if that fails go with the warranty. She said to ring Apple up and tell them I have sort Legal Advice and tell then that if you bought it off a website, you have to go back to the website. They shouldn't be sending people to stores.

She also said to give them my petrol receipts.

Just on hold to Apple at the moment. The guy seems alright, but I've been on hold for like 5 minutes now Arrrgh!

After being on hold for a good 15 mins I got through to a nice woman. She said that is has been a known issue for casing to be defect, BUT I have to prove that I haven't done this damage through abuse. This would mean travelling back to an Apple Autorised Service Provider which is in Burnley, I would then have to pay an administration fee to get my MacBook looked at. She said if it was found to be a fault then they would fix the MacBook for free and as a gesture of good will I would get an accessory for my MacBook or iPod from the Apple Store. Still I do not think this is good enough so I rang Trading Standards back.

Trading Standards said that because I reported the problem within the first 6 months it is up to Apple to prove the defect is has not been done on purpose. I am dead on the 29th. Bought 29th July, reported on 29th January. Meaning its 6 months exact. I got told that I have to write to Apple and send them my invoice, send them the time of the telephone call through itemised billing and say that it is not up to me to prove the crack and the flush damage. It is up to them. So I will ring Apple up to request an Address to send this information to.

Apple you really do suck at customer service.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2007, 10:07 AM

Apple's basic policy is that physical, structural problems are presumed to be due to damage, not a problem with the structure itself. This presupposes though, that there have not been a number of problems with MacBook plastics, reported all over the world. I agree with your Trading Standards folks; this is NOT an isolated "we've never seen this before" issue, since there are a lot of people posting that their plastics crack while just sitting there on the desk. However, your experience with Apple's support is not universal; I've had very good experiences with really "tough" issues here in North America.

And I can suggest one reason Apple may have pulled your post-you probably did not word it as (shall we say) politely and thoughtfully as you might have. I have not seen your post, but from the way you posted here, I'm thinking that you weren't as nice there as you were here. Take this for what it's worth, but these forums are for YOU, while Apple's are for them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rasmusjp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 03:56 AM

i'm having these same issues myself. the case is cracked, though underneath the hinge, and the gray cover has started to come off at the lower right corner. i haven't handled the computer carelessly at all, and i think this sort of sloppy structural integrity is ridiculous. i'm currently in the cue for service at a apple service provider (not a apple store). on reporting the issues via phone (apple service), i didn't encounter any problems, and not when asking via phone either. i'll be going there monday, so i'm still a bit nervous.
i really shouldn't have to be though. the very idea of a computer case cracking through normal use is preposterous as is, but hearing rumours about customer support accusing loyal customers of being to blame is simply outrageous. by the way, according to swedish law, a product flaw discovered in the first 6 months following purchase is to be considered there from the start (an thus the seller is to blame), though any flaw reported within 3 years is to be considered reported in due time.
i'd like to see apple trying to worm themselves out of this one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules