Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 5 brightness slider not working(not auto-brightness)

iPhone 5 brightness slider not working(not auto-brightness)
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 AM

just bought an iPhone 5 today for someone in my family. We've used it all day and it is great except for one thing. We noticed tonight that the screen was way to bright. My own iPhone 4 was way dimmer and had autobrightness on. I noticed that autobrightness was set so I turned it off and tried to reboot the phone. That didn't work. The brightness slider refused to change the brightness of the phone at all. Then I noticed that someone on the internet tried doing a "Reset all settings" to fix this problem. We hadn't customized the settings that much so I tried that. That didn't work either.

So I'm concerned about the hardware now. I searched the web and found out a lot about the auto brightness issue. I thought that may be still affecting the phone so I went through the tutorial about how to set the brightness with autobrightness on. Everytime it said to adjust the brightness for bright/dark room brightness slider refused to do anything to screen brightness.

So I'm at a loss. The phone is updated to the latest and greatest IOS 6.02.

Any suggestions. I'm thinking of returning phone to store tomorrow.

Thanks.

MAlan  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2013, 02:36 PM

Well I took it back. It was definitely a hardware problem. The unit in the store and replacement unit are working fine with brightness slider.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2013, 01:25 AM

Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules