Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > a new(?) way to organize your iTunes

a new(?) way to organize your iTunes
alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 07:17 PM

I'm big into organizing my music collection. I've been thinking about doing something with the mood of the artist / song.

Allmusic.com has an extensive list of moods. It would be great to have an app that would get the artist / ablum name and pull the moods from allmusic and place them in the comments field, separated by commas. You could then make a smart playlist like: get 10 songs where comments contain Freakish AND comments contain Outraged.

How difficult would something like this be to make?

jyunderwood
Apr 17, 2005, 07:27 PM

that would be cool but artist can be too general. what mood a song is would be the ticket for me.
fluid like water.

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 07:34 PM

agreed -- they do go as specific as album, but not song..

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 07:43 PM

Honestly I think a HUGE feature that wouldn't even be so hard, would be to allow for user created Meta data fields that can also be browsed by. For example, I can have at the top: Genre, Artist, "Speed", "Mood", Rating etc. or do keywords or something. But for example I have lots of Ska... but sometimes I might want to listen to my high rated slower more meaningful ska songs... there's no way to make a smart play list or even find them really quickly right now aside from remembering which ones you like.
Last night I was going to make a CD for a girl in my youth group who was feeling really down, that said to find any stuff that I wanted to give her took a while because I had to sift through my stuff. It'd be better if you could add tag info that you could then have iTunes sort.

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 07:48 PM

on a related note, is there an automatic way to set BPM? I tried the app where you click the mouse to the beat of the music and that determines the bpm, but sitting here clicking for 5000 sounds doesn't sounds like much fun.

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 03:19 AM

Make your genres more specific, I've got 300 of 'em. The largest I have is probably "Electronica Ambient Jazz Instrumental IDM" for a few fourtet songs....You can pick out speed in an indirect way through genres, "rave" will probably be fast, "ambient" will probably be relaxing. I was concidering adding things to the comment tag, moods....but there's better things to worry about for now....btw, applescripting with allmusic.com is a PITA, and I hate their JS links.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by yukon
Make your genres more specific, I've got 300 of 'em. The largest I have is probably "Electronica Ambient Jazz Instrumental IDM" for a few fourtet songs....
Ha ha, that's as good an attempt as any to classify that guy's music. Rock on.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Forum Links
Forum Rules