Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New MSN Client coming soon...

New MSN Client coming soon... (Page 2)
Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
I'm not really interested in installing Fink or any development tools. I was just hoping to find a site that offers Adium builds with these beta features.
although I have fink installed, I've never needed it to update my SVN source. You will need dev tools, though.

people have asked before about posting binaries to SVN builds, and the Adium people always say no, and they have good cause. SVN builds are inherently unstable... they're works in progress, and if you've done any programming, you'll understand that most works in progress won't compile, let alone work properly... I'm always surprised at how often SVN builds ARE good.

Anyway, if these builds were available to people who didn't understand this, the devs would have to answer a LOT of questions about the SVN builds that otherwise they wouldn't have to answer. Plus, if some nasty bug slipped through that made certain configurations completely erase a buddy list, people would get mad, despite the fact they are using beta software and should expect things like that to happen.

Installing from SVN is very simple. If you follow the directions on the dev site to the letter, it will work. Whether the source will compile or not is another matter, as is the question of whether or not the compiled program will be reasonably stable.

That said, I eagerly await an official .8 release...

oh, and MSN... screw MSN. It's a crappy app, always has been and always will be.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by bergy:
I have had to buy 2 pcs for my teenagers because the main thing they care about their computers doing is to be able to make full use of MSN ... end of story ...
That's what ALL their friends use and any other alternative is a non issue

Multiply my story a few million times and you get the idea ...
I"m assuming when they go to university they will be so windowized they won't even consider a Mac ..
Sorry man, you will have no sympathies from me. If they were my kids and wanted PCs just because all their friends have them they would damn well have to save up to buy them for themselves. And that's regardless of which platform I prefer. The "everyone else has it"-argument carries zero weight in my household. Especially when it comes to expensive stuff like computers.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 04:56 PM

Nobody use Proteus here?

I think it would be interesting to know someone from the MBU - specifically the "MiSN Messenger" and "WiMP" divisions - to see what they are told to do (or not do). i just really hope that it's not someone's (or a team of people's) full time job to develop MSN Messenger.. must be a -very- boring job

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by alex_wlu_82:
Nobody use Proteus here?
I did. Loved it. Then downloaded a new version of Adium which is much snappier, free, and has equal features.

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:
I did. Loved it. Then downloaded a new version of Adium which is much snappier, free, and has equal features.
I just bought Proteus, and so i am afraid to download adium...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 08:33 PM

I am contemplating buying Proteus. It's a lovely app, but I hate paying for something that might break anytime

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
I am contemplating buying Proteus. It's a lovely app, but I hate paying for something that might break anytime
It was a lovely, well-supported app when it was still Justin's baby. Fortunately, his skills have been put to good use at Apple.

We'll see where defaultware takes Proteus now, but compared to the advancements made to Adium in the same time period, I'm wary of giving them any money.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 08:47 AM

Personally I prefer the osx msn, the windows one is an advert drenched interface nightmare.
-Those tabs down the side are glorified adverts and you turn them off but they'll either come back next time you log on or they'll come back randomly, take up a huge amount of screen estate trying to sell you something
-message windows are huge and they dont have proper borders unless you roll over them or something which is just confusing, lots of pointless features like window backgrounds, badly placed block buttons.
-huge user icon space

bah its just a badly designed mess, although the mac one isnt wonderful at least it doesnt have those tabs, has sensible icon placement and better designed message windows (compared to the windows version anyway)

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by bergy:
Prediction ..

MSN will NEVER have webcam ability or if it does it will be so hobbled as to be useless ..

Reason? ... I'm a good example ..

I have had to buy 2 pcs for my teenagers because the main thing they care about their computers doing is to be able to make full use of MSN ... end of story ...
That's what ALL their friends use and any other alternative is a non issue

Multiply my story a few million times and you get the idea ...
I"m assuming when they go to university they will be so windowized they won't even consider a Mac ..

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa
If I have children they have the option:
get a mac from me or buy your own pc.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 04:00 PM

Does anybody here have updated information regarding this new MSN Messenger for Mac ? I'd use it if it came to that.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 05:28 PM

I paid too I didn't want to admit Adium was better, but I think it really is now.

powerdafuture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 03:35 PM

Any update on this?

barrettwilson1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by powerdafuture
Any update on this?
From what I've read, it's supposed to be very soon.

http://r-james.myby.co.uk/messenger/article.php?id=021

powerdafuture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 05:50 PM

yea this week....

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 06:42 PM

But will it have webcam support? (I'd be pleased with just receiving webcam). That's the one thing that I want above all the other little things.

Actually, I'd prefer Skype to get webcam, since that is certainly far more cross-platform that Messenger.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 06:13 AM

Skype with webcam++
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
But will it have webcam support?
Nope, it won't.

I'd like to see support for the bloody msn games.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 11:37 AM

There is a relatively *big* Proteus update, nearing the end of development, but I am also a paid Proteus user come Adium convert.

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
There is a relatively *big* Proteus update, nearing the end of development, but I am also a paid Proteus user come Adium convert.

ditto.. I don't think i'll be turning back anytime soon. Adium is far more customizable than Proteus. I should have done my research before buying.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 09:52 PM

I think Adium's still the best so far.

Tried Proteus when I was still on 10.2, and it was great, then I switched to Fire for sometime, but had some problems with it, so Adium came along, and I never looked back.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 11:19 AM

Always used Adium for aim, almost moved to proteus when the 2nd version went through that stupid awful metal patch but just stuck with my adium 1 till it eventually broke and luckily adium 2 had found some common sense and turned in to a lovely app

Forum Links
Forum Rules