Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > a very nice new theme.

a very nice new theme.
brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2007, 01:44 AM

Just in case ya missed it,,My jaw is still on the floor.I have had it loaded for a few days now and I keep getting more into it,imho a great looking theme,worked on very hard by a fantastic team.musings from mars,I link you to Crystal Clear Lite.
MacThemes Forums :: View topic - [Theme] Crystal Clear Lite
( Last edited by brazil; Mar 2, 2007 at 03:11 AM. )
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2007, 05:48 AM

That theme is in the top 5 of the ugliest themes ever made list.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 10:10 AM

It might be but if you read about what he is trying to implement... pretty detailed stuff. More than just building a theme.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 01:21 PM

Exactly... Finally someone is actually making apps/mini-apps to go along with a theme to make things happen the way they want. We need more of this kind of development in our community.

R

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MacDog View Post
That theme is in the top 5 of the ugliest themes ever made list.
A bit harsh.... I think it is in poor taste to slack on people's hard work..... even if it is not your cup of tea.
I think it is a great theme if you are looking for a " Clear " Theme...... if not, move on. Kudo's for the effort!

Cheers!

blueleaf
Mar 2, 2007, 11:43 PM

Nice! When I looked at the screenshot, I thought it looked horrible, because I couldn't even tell that it was clear...lol. Anyways, I have a question for anyone who can help. How to I make the toolbar icons in the top right...fit with the theme. here is a screenshot of what I mean...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by blueleaf View Post
Nice! When I looked at the screenshot, I thought it looked horrible, because I couldn't even tell that it was clear...lol. Anyways, I have a question for anyone who can help. How to I make the toolbar icons in the top right...fit with the theme. here is a screenshot of what I mean...

this is an amazing theme, but...how did you get the black translucent menus? here the menus are white...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

blueleaf
Mar 3, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
this is an amazing theme, but...how did you get the black translucent menus? here the menus are white...
Umm, I'm not sure exactly, but try running the SetAlphaValue4CC box, and restart your computer. That made safari completely clear for me, and it also makes inactive windows completely translucent...

Oh, I just reread your post and I think your talking about how it looks as though my pulldown menus are black. That's actually Adium (an instant messaging client.) My pulldown menus are white just like yours.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2007, 04:24 PM

Umm, I'm not sure exactly, but try running the SetAlphaValue4CC box, and restart your computer. That made safari completely clear for me, and it also makes inactive windows completely translucent...
hmmm...i meant the menu, on the left... (my menus have a transparent band, next to white...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

blueleaf
Mar 3, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
hmmm...i meant the menu, on the left... (my menus have a transparent band, next to white...)
Yea, mine are too...

the black transparent window is an instant messaging application called adium.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2007, 06:16 PM

Yea, mine are too...

the black transparent window is an instant messaging application called adium.
yeah, noticed that (after i posted).
this theme would be PERFECT with black translucent menus...

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2007, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73 View Post
A bit harsh.... I think it is in poor taste to slack on people's hard work..... even if it is not your cup of tea.
I think it is a great theme if you are looking for a " Clear " Theme...... if not, move on. Kudo's for the effort!

Cheers!
Hey, if you post a theme in here, you're going to get comments, some good, some bad. Tell you what, I'll not post negative comments, if you don't post positive ones. Does that seem fair?
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Mar 4, 2007, 06:33 PM

I love this theme. So much in fact, that I plan on donating to the creator.

However, I am experiencing a few quirks that are a bit annoying; possibly someone else has fixed them or is also experiencing them.
1.) The system icons, in the top right corner of the screen/to the far right of the finder bar are clearly a different opacity/color than the rest of the finder bar. It would be amazing if it all flowed.
2.) In Camino, there is a white bar (probably 10 pixels high) spanning across the entire browser, in between the web page and the web bar (back, forward, home, etc.) It doesn't occur in Safari or Sunrise, so maybe it's just Camino? Wierd.
3.) I installed SetAlphaValue, and I would like to modify its settings. When I restarted after the install, the window popped up, but I accidentally closed it. Anyone know how to re-open it?

Sorry if I'm complaining, but fixing 1 and 2 would make this the theme I use for the rest of my life!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
I love this theme. So much in fact, that I plan on donating to the creator.

However, I am experiencing a few quirks that are a bit annoying; possibly someone else has fixed them or is also experiencing them.
1.) The system icons, in the top right corner of the screen/to the far right of the finder bar are clearly a different opacity/color than the rest of the finder bar. It would be amazing if it all flowed.
2.) In Camino, there is a white bar (probably 10 pixels high) spanning across the entire browser, in between the web page and the web bar (back, forward, home, etc.) It doesn't occur in Safari or Sunrise, so maybe it's just Camino? Wierd.
3.) I installed SetAlphaValue, and I would like to modify its settings. When I restarted after the install, the window popped up, but I accidentally closed it. Anyone know how to re-open it?

Sorry if I'm complaining, but fixing 1 and 2 would make this the theme I use for the rest of my life!
re
1. photopro (my other fave theme) has a menu extras fix for this very problem; something like that needs to be incorporated into this theme... (anyone??)

2. sure that's not the tab bar you're seeing?? (sorry, had to ask). camino is fine with the theme on my mac...

3. good question...

blueleaf
Mar 4, 2007, 11:27 PM

For the third question, click on the button in the top left with the name of the application. So in Safari, it would be called Safari...Then go down and click SetAlpha Value.

I am wondering the exact same thing for number 1. As for number two, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, as I only use Safari.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Mar 5, 2007, 03:13 AM

Just thought I'd ask/throw those questons out there.

The thing with SetAlphaValue, is that I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive and therefore I cant open it.

Also, if I wanted to delete SetAlphaValue off of my hard drive, how would I go about doing so? I mean, I tried just changing the theme, but it wont take away the windows fading in and out...

Here's some screenshots of some wierd stuff (mentioned and not):

10-pixel white line across Camino

Uneven opacity?

This "Universal" button showed up in my System Preferences pane... any idea of where it came from? If it was there before, I sure didnt notice it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
( Last edited by SLiMeX; Mar 5, 2007 at 03:48 AM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 04:07 AM

Same thing happened to my sharing button, but I haven't installed a theme. Odd.

HytestA
Mar 5, 2007, 09:01 AM

Ive been using this theme for a few weeks and I find it very useable and tbh I love it. Prior to running the 'Lite' version I was using the original CrystalClear theme that features Black menus.

Many of the questions asked above are actually mentioned in the creators Blog, its worth a read if you have not already.

This theme looks good with the 'Transparent System' iconset by Carlos Krüger
...ill get my coat

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 07:11 PM

i'm actually loving setalphavalue... i went back to my previous fave theme (photopro) and love the effect...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 07:24 PM

hey! am answering my own posts..

the original crystal clear has black translucent menus, and is near perfect (ah, itunes, alas).

get it here

SLiMeX
Senior User
Mar 6, 2007, 01:08 AM

Crystal Clear still has a lot of the same issues the Lite version does...

marsmuse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 03:07 AM

Hi all,
Thanks to those of you who've been trying to get along with Crystal Clear. As I warned you, it's a bit of an experiment that I'll be refining as much as possible over the next few weeks. I noticed a discussion about it here and thought I'd try to answer a couple things that haven't already been answered:
  1. The uneven opacity in the right hand side of the top menubar is unfortunately beyond my power to fix at this time. I mentioned it in the article... if anyone has a clue how to avoid some of the menu extras drawing the overlay twice, I'll be happy to pursue all leads...
  2. As you've noted, the original theme had translucent black menus. Crystal Clear Lite (the second version) is an experiment with lite menus, since many users on another forum had requested it. Ultimately, I plan to release the theme with at least two variants, and I'll update the black-menu theme with all the improvements in Lite when time permits.
  3. I agree with the comment recommending the translucent iconset. I do want to let you know, however, that I'm preparing a modification of Laurent Baumann's Albook iconset that I hope to have ready by next weekend. It's a clear version, of course.
  4. SetAlphaValue is installed as an InputManager at /Library/InputManagers on your system. To uninstall, just drag the SetAlphaValue folder to the trash. This is a plugin to all Cocoa applications and can only be launched by accessing the SetAlphaValue menu item, which will appear in every Cocoa app's main menu. When activated, you can customize its behavior to a great degree using its preference window.

I'll check out the problem with Camino and see what's going on there... I don't think Crystal Clear or SetAlphaValue can explain that Universal icon in your preferences, though. :-)

Cheers,
Leland
Musings from Mars

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 10:06 AM

Just like Windows Vista, clear windows make things confusing and harder to use. Your theme is no exception but it's still cool to look at. Good job.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 10:16 AM

crystal clear is my new fave theme.
i love the black menus (which could be a little more translucent, hint hint).
i have, however, deleted setalphavalue...impressive, but distracting.

camino is fine here.
slimex, have you tried deleting the shapeshifter cache, rebooting, re-applying the theme?

and i've grouped my menu items so that the extra background layer looks intentional...

great work marsmuse!!

brazil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 05:58 PM

just for those that want ta know,,this theme has been updated with icons
MacThemes Forums :: View topic - [Theme and Icons] Crystal Clear 1.0 and Crystal Albook Icons
it just keeps getting better,imo.
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 07:36 PM

can somebody give me a link to the themes download? the other one is broken.
Signature depreciated.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 09:54 PM

brazil's link if correct. Try again. He was working an update out so that might have been the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules