Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one

iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:11 PM

I really think the iPad is badass. Sleek, sexy and "magical". I really want one but I just can't justify buying one except for the sole reason that it is a shiny new Apple product. I know some of you are going to say "just don't buy it" but that's not what I want to hear. I want to hear YOUR reasons (justifiable or not) on why you are going to purchase one. My friend (who is very anti mac) is giving me a hard time about the iPad and I also need some things to fling back his way. COMMENCE!

Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:25 PM

pretty simple. If you wanted a netbook..you will be better off with this. If you want a full on laptop..then get a macbook.

This is their answer to the netbook. They were afraid to make a netbook that would draw people away from the macbook/macbook pro, which sells at a huge premium and makes then a sht ton of money.

So this is their answer. And in my opinion its worlds better than a tiny toy laptop with a desktop os shoehorned into it. Just wait until the iPad apps come out. These will be full featured apps. I bet Word, Photoshop even come on board..because there will be money in it.

This is the new consumer laptop. Bye bye netbook, we hardly new ya.
Name sucks though. Just terrible.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 06:28 PM

How is the name "just terrible"?

It worked for Star Trek.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:29 PM

A lot of the times, when I need to leave the house with my computer, it’s because:
  • I need access to my library of hundreds of PDFs in Papers. Seriously, I have no idea how to start keeping track of papers on my Windows box at work.
  • I need to work on or present a presentation that I started in Keynote (whose Powerpoint export can be lacking (not sure whether Apple or Microsoft is more to blame)).
  • I hate trying to read scientific papers or book content on a laptop screen or desktop monitor. I hate printing stuff out so I can read it, lose it, and print it again in a few
  • I imagine other uses will spring up for which an iPad trumps an iPhone’s tiny screen and a laptop’s weight/unweildiness

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:32 PM

Good reasons so far! I do want a portable besides my iPhone and I have an iMac that I love. I could see this being a good tweener but I'm still just trying to picture myself using one out and about.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 27, 2010, 06:41 PM

Surfing/Facebook/iPhoto/Shopping/Email/Apps.

It's what most people do with laptops, and everyone does with netbooks.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 06:52 PM

I'm getting 2! Just because it's $499.

Forget the netbook.

Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 06:53 PM

It's a netbook with no keyboard and a crippled OS. My neck cramps up just thinking about using a device where the screen and keyboard are on the same plane/surface.

I suspect that multitasking will come out in a future OS release as a big update, just like cut and paste on the iPhone. I can't imagine users being satisfied long-term with something like this that can't multitask.

I'm also interested to see what the Linux community does with it. If the CPU isn't based on any existing processor architecture, who knows how long it will be before a compatible Linux kernel is released - but I can see one of the netbook remixes of Linux (like Ubuntu) being very well suited for this kind of hardware.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:55 PM

I wasn’t considering buying it at all until I realized that installing Jaadu VNC on it could really oomph its potential – not that that’s the primary way I’d use it, but for the occasional “Oh crap need to make this one small change to a MS Word document” moments…

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 06:57 PM

More like...

Justifiable reasons to start another thread about it...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 06:57 PM

Oh, I do really like the whole no-contract AT&T unlimited data plan thing, especially since it sounds like you can get it all set up directly on the device (which means not having to go into an AT&T store and deal with their bullshit). Too bad it's using a "micro SIM card"; means T-Mobile is going to have hurry up to develop a SIM that works with it.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2010, 06:58 PM

...a machine to replace my wife's Macbook (almost 4 years old and still going strong), this would be it. It does everything she uses her computer for. There's a huge market out there. Sorry about that, Dell.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:02 PM

Seriously though... if you have a fully featured desktop computer, and just want something to use to surf the web on the couch, read the paper with your morning coffee, or watch movies in the car, or occasionally (occasionally) do a tiny bit of work on it... this thing is perfect.

If you already have a laptop or iPhone or iPod touch... it becomes a harder sell...

I think it's cool, I do see how it might grow into something very cool... but right now I don't think it fits into my needs. It's hard to justify squeezing an iPad in between my iPhone and my MacBook.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:04 PM

Your friend has an iPod Touch and you want a bigger *cough* "pad" than him...

...seriously, though, I think as-is the market is basically the same as iPod Touch, until more iPad-exclusive apps start being unveiled.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
It's a netbook with no keyboard and a crippled OS. My neck cramps up just thinking about using a device where the screen and keyboard are on the same plane/surface.

I suspect that multitasking will come out in a future OS release as a big update, just like cut and paste on the iPhone. I can't imagine users being satisfied long-term with something like this that can't multitask.

I'm also interested to see what the Linux community does with it. If the CPU isn't based on any existing processor architecture, who knows how long it will be before a compatible Linux kernel is released - but I can see one of the netbook remixes of Linux (like Ubuntu) being very well suited for this kind of hardware.
It's an ARM based processor from what the little birdies told me. PA Semi designed. It's why it can run iPhone software with no problem.

Hopefully, it'll be jailbroken sooner than later, because ProSwitcher and Music Control are absolutely needed on the iPad.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:05 PM

I think it's great for passive things - reading, browsing, youtube, watching movies. I think it'll be mediocre for text-heavy stuff like email and working on documents.

If Adobe made a full-featured Photoshop app for it and someone figured out a way to make a precise stylus that works with the capacitative touch screen, though...

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
It's an ARM based processor from what the little birdies told me. PA Semi designed. It's why it can run iPhone software with no problem.

Hopefully, it'll be jailbroken sooner than later, because ProSwitcher and Music Control are absolutely needed on the iPad.
Good news IMO. There's already a lot of ARM development in the Linux community.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2010, 07:13 PM

Oh, I do really like the whole no-contract AT&T unlimited data plan thing, especially since it sounds like you can get it all set up directly on the device (which means not having to go into an AT&T store and deal with their bullshit). Too bad it's using a "micro SIM card"; means T-Mobile is going to have hurry up to develop a SIM that works with it.
According to Gizmodo, the SIM won't be the problem running it on T-Mobile, at least if you want 3G.

Originally Posted by Gizmodo
Unlocked or Not, Your iPad Won't Be Able to Use T-Mobile's 3G Network
We're excited that the iPad's data plans won't lock you down in a 2-year contract and that the device's 3G modem isn't carrier-locked. But you still won't get 3G speeds on an iPad if you decide to use T-Mobile.

Why? The iPad's 3G modem supports UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz). T-Mobile's 3G runs on 1700 Mhz. See the trouble? You could of course still get EDGE data service using T-Mobile, but that's just not as great as the theoretically blazing 3G speeds, is it?

Some of you are remarking that T-Mobile also runs on 2100 MHz, but here's what our friend and wise man Richard Baguley says:

UMTS2100 is the european version, not the US one. I don't think they are compatible. So, the iPad would just not see the T-Mobile 3G on either frequency
Unlocked or Not, Your iPad Won't Be Able to Use T-Mobile's 3G Network - apple ipad - Gizmodo
Nemo me impune lacesset

finboy
Jan 27, 2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
A lot of the times, when I need to leave the house with my computer, it’s because:
  • I need access to my library of hundreds of PDFs in Papers. Seriously, I have no idea how to start keeping track of papers on my Windows box at work.
  • I need to work on or present a presentation that I started in Keynote (whose Powerpoint export can be lacking (not sure whether Apple or Microsoft is more to blame)).
  • I hate trying to read scientific papers or book content on a laptop screen or desktop monitor. I hate printing stuff out so I can read it, lose it, and print it again in a few
  • I imagine other uses will spring up for which an iPad trumps an iPhone’s tiny screen and a laptop’s weight/unweildiness
PAPERS. Exactly. Reading PDFs that have tables and equations. Plus, annotation of those with a pen or a finger.

Man, this thing is going to KILL eBook readers. Dead. Except for those few hold-outs that will wring their depreciation out of them.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:36 PM

I'm starting to wonder about the ergonomics of the thing. One of my favorite things about using the iPhone is that I can do about 75% of what needs to be done with one hand, leaving my other hand free to eat, or feed my baby, or smoke crystal meth, or masturbate, or whatever...

I can type on my iPhone with one hand... but I would think an iPad would have to be set down on a table to type. I can surf the web with one hand on an iPhone, but can't on an iPad. I can use the iPod function on my iPhone with one hand, but I can't on an iPad...

I know it sounds petty... but it might end up being a big deal.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm starting to wonder about the ergonomics of the thing. One of my favorite things about using the iPhone is that I can do about 75% of what needs to be done with one hand, leaving my other hand free to eat, or feed my baby, or smoke crystal meth, or masturbate, or whatever...

I can type on my iPhone with one hand... but I would think an iPad would have to be set down on a table to type. I can surf the web with one hand on an iPhone, but can't on an iPad. I can use the iPod function on my iPhone with one hand, but I can't on an iPad...

One of my favorite things about spaghetti is how delicious it tastes. I seriously doubt the aluminum on the iPad will make for a suitable spaghetti replacement. Somehow I don't view this as a problem, though. Almost as though it's not meant to compete in that space.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2010, 07:51 PM

. My neck cramps up just thinking about using a device where the screen and keyboard are on the same plane/surface.
This is exactly what I thought when I think about any sort of tablet device.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 07:52 PM

You put smoking crystal meth before masturbating but after feeding your baby?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 07:53 PM

I need something to take with me to the can, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle.

I also need something small and basic for email and browsing while on vacation, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle.

I like having something small and compact for email and web browsing while watching TV, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Ancient One View Post
...a machine to replace my wife's Macbook
That's exactly the reason why I'll be buying one as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 08:05 PM

So it's an eBook reader that does more and now you're crapping on it?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
So it's an eBook reader that does more and now you're crapping on it?
I think RAIDhead was the one crapping on it...

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I need something to take with me to the can, and this is better than my laptops and/or my Kindle...

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 27, 2010, 09:21 PM

I'm watching the keynote now, and so far, I have to say, I'm somewhat impressed, but disappointed at the same time. It's great that it runs the iPhone/iPod OS, but was hoping that it would run full OS X. It looks like a winner for portable media, but as has been rumored, it's not much more than a giant iPod Touch with EDGE/3G capability

Maybe my mind will change further on, but from what I've read, that's about the size of it. I'll stick to my MBP and iPhone.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
but was hoping that it would run full OS X.
You can't just run a standard OS on a touch device. It doesn't work.

axe1509
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2010, 09:32 PM

I think we need to take a step back and look at this. When the iphone came out, if you were to compare it to what we have now you would think it was a piece of crap. Same with almost all of Apples breakthrough products. It's just not business smart to make this thing do everything it's capable of from the start, they need updates and ways to keep people wanting more. As a starting point this thing is pretty impressive, I'm a fan of the ebook side, along with the iwork integration. Just give it time and people will develop apps for this thing that will make this "netbook" a must have for the average computer user.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 27, 2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
You can't just run a standard OS on a touch device. It doesn't work.
Why not? Instead of a mouse moving on a desk, or moving your finger on a trackpad, you touch the screen directly and boom, your mouse pointer goes right there. Doesn't HP already do that with one of their desktop machines with Windows 7? There are third-party solutions that can convert a MacBook to a tablet.

Not only can a touch device run a standard OS, several already do, and have done so for some time.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 09:57 PM

And none of them work. The user experience of using a mouse and a keyboard are dramatically different from using your fingers.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 09:59 PM

Happy now?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 10:08 PM

I wonder how much those are going to cost. My guess is $100 for te keyboard and at least $50 for the case.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 27, 2010, 10:10 PM

And none of them work. The user experience of using a mouse and a keyboard are dramatically different from using your fingers.
Yes, a keyboard and mouse is quite different. As Stogieman was kind enough to post, you can use it with a keyboard. Add a Bluetooth mouse, and you're ready for extended work sessions. Heck, a Bluetooth keyboard would have been a great option as well.

If it was going to run the iPhone OS and have a 3G radio, might as well add the phone capability (other than VoIP) and a camera for videoconferencing via iChat or Yahoo or some other IM client.

For some, it's The Next Big Thing. For others, it comes so close yet falls short and lands on the 10" iPod Touch square. Drop Snow Leopard on it with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse capability and an iSight in addition to the touchscreen, and you got something. I have to say that after having watched the whole keynote, I'm in the second category.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 10:23 PM

After reading this thread... I really want one now. I really like that case that you can buy that puts it at an incline.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 10:25 PM

More like...

Justifiable reasons to start another thread about it...
The other threads were more speculation and/or about the keynote. This one is about specifics, dickweed.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 10:28 PM

I completely agree with this statement. We've all tried out those dumb HP touch desktops and they are really annoying and frustrating to use. My friend has some sort of HP laptop/tablet and it really just doesn't seem to work right.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 11:08 PM

Looks great! I have been wowed by many products over these many years and i will continue to buy Apple products, but I just don't see a need for this just now. This is quite expensive for a device that can't even print. For a $100 more I can get a laptop that prints allows other hardware to be hooked to it like a flash drive, optical drive etc. where's the camera? No Flash plugin either? is there even a microphone on this? I'm skeptical but I will need to use one to see for sure.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 11:11 PM

Because you can™

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
is there even a microphone on this? I'm skeptical but I will need to use one to see for sure.
There is a mic... but no camera. Meaning skype would kind of blow but you could still use it.

Sealobo
Jan 27, 2010, 11:33 PM

i can now text much safer when i drive, thanks to the much larger screen.

o wait... now i need to use both hands?

(j/k, i don't do that sh!t)

iM@k
Senior User
Jan 27, 2010, 11:34 PM

If you've ever watched any episode of any of the Star Trek series, you most likely saw at least one scene where a crew member was holding a device that looks suspiciously like the iPad.They'd either be reviewing work assignments, reading over communications, researching a topic, or using it for personal entertainment.

I know the main reason I want is so I can pretend I'm in Starfeel and every e-mail I get will be a sub-space message from an admiral given me a lame order that bolsters/protects his career. But I will be brave and disobey the order because it's the right thing to do. TO HELL WITH THE PRIME DIRECTIVE!

What more reason do you need then that?

What, me worry?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2010, 11:36 PM

I'm completely on the fence with the iPad....
Pros:
-Awesome media-consumption device. huge screen, decent battery life, and almost comparable to the stuff i need from a portable machine/device.
-Closed system, limits complexity.
-large app library that will undoubtedly grow grow to accommodate this new device.
-Price.... most will complain about it being too high(cause it's not free). to to have a portable of this caliber at this price from this company is awesome imo.

Cons:
-can't do more than what my iPhone can today (apart from the bigger screen)
-Productivity/media-creation seems way too limited for this device.
-Closed system(yes i know)...i think it's a little too closed.
-No file system access...there needs to be a way to manage a local store of files ... "Hawkeye's iPad Home" folder accessible to the apps on the iPad and when plugged into your computer. With a mobile version of Office and iWork, where will these apps store your files ? i think the current way of storing them inside the App bundle is convoluted and unnecessarily complicated for end-users, not to mention a hassle to manage...and an unnecessary burdeon for developers to manage(imo).
-So i have an iPhone...to get data-anywhere i need to get another plan ? Why not have a USB port and be able to tether the iPad to the iPhone ?
-Keynote ? How about a Mnin Display Port ?
-Pages ? how about ability to print ?

At the end of the day, it's a super-sized iPhone/iTouch. it's nice and the price is right.

As far as the Apple product matrix..... So now we have MacOSX, iPhoneOS and iPadOS.... and respective SDKs and apps. I hope Apple can maintain all 3 threads with equal attention. The App store as well is going to start having 2 dfferent categories of Apps which have the potential of confusing many end-users imo. (iPad-only, iPhone, iPhone+iPad)

Having said that, if there is a solution to the productivity dimension of this product (specifically a local file store that can be easily managed across computers), i will consider replacing my MacBook+iPhone with an iMac+iPad+iPhone

Still on the fence here...

Cheers

Sealobo
Jan 27, 2010, 11:44 PM

the biggest problem i have with the iPad is its HSDPA standard.

I use a MPB with HSPA+ (even as i post this) and it flies.

HSDPA is just too slow and the latency is worse than dial-up.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 11:45 PM

According to Gruber, there actually is some sort of communal documents folder, though I'm not clear on exactly how it works.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 12:11 AM

Ditto!

That's exactly the reason why I'll be buying one as well.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2010, 12:13 AM

If Adobe made a full-featured Photoshop app for it and someone figured out a way to make a precise stylus that works with the capacitative touch screen, though...
Not precise, and no pressure sensativity= fail. Also, photoshop would be hell without keyboard shortcuts.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Why not? Instead of a mouse moving on a desk, or moving your finger on a trackpad, you touch the screen directly and boom, your mouse pointer goes right there. Doesn't HP already do that with one of their desktop machines with Windows 7? There are third-party solutions that can convert a MacBook to a tablet.

Not only can a touch device run a standard OS, several already do, and have done so for some time.
Too imprecise. The modbook uses a stylus. So do all the PC versions. The fact is a UI designed for a mouse is FAR FAR too small and precise for using a big fat american finger to slide around on things.

charlituna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2010, 12:33 AM

i have a 27 inch imac for my real computing. I don't need a full laptop for when i'm on the road. just something where I can email, perhaps surf the web a little etc. i am on planes and trains alot so I do a lot of reading, sudoku, listen to music, watch movies on my tiny ipod screen.

and I don't want to have to carry a netbook, a kindle AND an ipod. or even a netbook and a kindle, a netbook and a stack of books etc.

so yeah, an ipad works for me. won't be the same for all and that's alright. means you won't be in the store buying the last one when I walk in.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 01:32 AM

It's certainly interesting. My primary machine is a 15" MacBook Pro – it's certainly portable enough to take to a coffee shop, but I always get nervous lugging my only machine around with me (not counting a near-dead iBook).

I think that just like the iPhone, the apps are what will (or won't) make this amazing. Since it uses the same SDK as the iPhone, which has been in devs' hands for nearly two years now, we can probably expect to see some pretty high-quality apps fairly early on. I know I'll be looking forward to see what people come up with to take advantage of the large screen. RTS heaven, anyone?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules