Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Again, Steve says he is NOT into PDA's

Again, Steve says he is NOT into PDA's
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 03:28 PM

from a Fortune interview: http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?...&doc_id=204904

"A lot of Apple watchers were convinced you were working on a device like the Palm or the Pocket PC. What made you turn your attention to MP3 players?

You can't imagine how many people think we're crazy for not doing a Palm. I won't lie; we thought about that a lot. But I started asking myself, How useful are they, really? How many people at a given meeting show up with one? Whether I was here or at Disney or at Pixar, the percentage peaked about a year ago at 50%, and it's now dwindled to less than 10%. It kind of went up really fast and then went down. I don't mean to be disrespectful to those guys at Palm at all. I'm just saying I don't think early cultures had organizers, but I do know they had music. It's in our DNA. Everybody loves it. "

In other words, don't hold your breath.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 04:04 PM

Well did you EXPECT anything different? I really see no use for Palm and Handspring devices... my Ericsson phone does more than I need out of a palm device... although I don't really find the iPod to be revolutionary, I do find it having a larger market than another organizer.

Mac Guru (Agree's with Steevo)

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Mac Guru ]

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2001, 05:00 PM

Sounds like to me the PDA market could use a new "Breakthrough digital device" the problem with current PDA's is they have a slow input device and are generally not all that powerful. Small amounts of store etc...

What if apple came up with a new PDA that was so great in every way that like the palm of two years ago, everyone wanted one? What if they finally got Handwriting recognition to work right? Couple that with a color LCD, a large HD, striped down OS X, that could play mp3's video, you could draw, scribble down notes, keep an address book, connect via firewire (I HATE how long it takes to sync my palm Vx) and was able to do this at a decent price point (riiiight from apple, I know I'm dreaming)

...anyway wouldn't that be cool? would you want one? I know I would...
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Immortal K-Mart Employee  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
<STRONG>Well did you EXPECT anything different?</STRONG>
No, but everyone else seems to.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

<WL2100>
Nov 4, 2001, 05:33 AM

Funny how the 'Newton'(Ex-Apple product) was not even mentioned...oh yeah, $J would have screamed, jumped up, turned around and left the building, panting-screaming-cursing Scull...uhh, never mind.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by &lt;WL2100&gt;:
<STRONG>Funny how the 'Newton'(Ex-Apple product) was not even mentioned...oh yeah, $J would have screamed, jumped up, turned around and left the building, panting-screaming-cursing Scull...uhh, never mind. </STRONG>
Not to mention all those "damn scribblepads" he would have hurled at everyone...

(Sometimes I wonder if the rumors about Mr Jobs have taken on a bit too much weight.)

Anyway, the Newton taint can't have been too much of an obstacle: apparently Pixo is credited for some of the iPod technology, and Pixo was founded by a former key member of the Newton development team! (And there is a whole bunch of former Apple people running Pixo too.)

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Nov 4, 2001, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
[QB]

Not to mention all those "damn scribblepads" he would have hurled at everyone...

QB]
Yesterday they were showing out-takes from TV shows were the actors screwed up their lines and other funny things. One actor didn't know how to use the Palm Pilot on the set of a movie and held it backward in one take and the held it upside down in another take. After being corrected by the director, the actor started fuming and swearing '****ing Palm Pilot! Sounds like a ****ing flying masturbation machine!'

<WL2100>
Nov 5, 2001, 01:30 AM

"(Sometimes I wonder if the rumors about Mr Jobs have taken on a bit too much weight.)"

...ask The Woz. The Pirates of Silicon Valley was close as described by the The Woz.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 04:58 PM

The simple fact is this is currently the worst time for Palm products. Sales are down, MS is getting better, Apple would not be stupid enough to come out with a handheld.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2001, 09:25 PM

I think the guy who said his Ericsson does as much had it about right. A handheld without much grunt is of little use. If it worked as a GSM phone too... then I think they could sell them.

If I could buy something like that, a phone/organiser in one, then I probably would (if I could synch it to the Mac), but given the choice of one or the other I'd buy just a phone.

-- Clive

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2001, 12:54 PM

What about those new wireless handsprings. They make sense to me.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Scooterboy
Senior User
Nov 13, 2001, 06:32 PM

Errr.... Here you go.... just not out in the US yet...
http://www.nokia.com/phones/9210/index.html
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

<iPilot>
Nov 14, 2001, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
<STRONG>Errr.... Here you go.... just not out in the US yet...
http://www.nokia.com/phones/9210/index.html</STRONG>
You haven't lost anything. I've been in touch with this phone recently and it's awful. It's the most unreliable product i've ever seen! Despite I'm using Nokia 6210 by miself and I have generally good opinion abut diff. kinds of Nokia products, this item sucks. One of my collegues (I'm working on Estonian callular operator EMT - www.emt.ee) just froze the phone in such a state, that it's impossible to fix because ROM is wiped. And he didn't do anything special. Just pushed randomly diff. kind of buttons.

Another friend of mine got the phone as a present and after three days was eagerly trying to sell it. Because out of three trials to make a call, two fail.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2001, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Clive:
<STRONG>I think the guy who said his Ericsson does as much had it about right. A handheld without much grunt is of little use. If it worked as a GSM phone too... then I think they could sell them.

If I could buy something like that, a phone/organiser in one, then I probably would (if I could synch it to the Mac), but given the choice of one or the other I'd buy just a phone.

-- Clive</STRONG>
What the guy said was `my Ericsson phone does more than I need out of a palm device' . Thats a different thing. If what you have works for you thats great. I can't read books on my Nokia 6210, I can't read web pages, I could retrieve and send email under WAP I guess but its more expensive and more complicated than just retrieving it to my Palm IIIx (via my phone), I can't play Patience on my phone (thats probably a plus for my phone.) Of course there are no end of things I can't do on my Palm -- play MP3's, watch filmclips, compose and process LaTeX documents.

Michael

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 08:31 AM

Just to chime it. I don't have any use for a palm, I use a small day minder that doesn't need batterys and lasts all year and won't break of I drop it. Anyways, there is a market for hand held computers, like the iPaq. I set up our GPS with ArcPad on an iPaq, the perfect merger, then the busy work gets done in ArcView. Personal organizers are just gagets. If Apple came out it with a hand held, it would need to be like the iPaq running a OS X type of software that was not made to be an organizer but a computer with applications that could be used as in inventory, my above GPS, so on. Now I know that companyies do write software like this for Palm, but it's running on a personal organizer. I also know that many companies that make hand held devices make them for specialized things, like inventory. Which brings be to, is it really a market that Apple can tap into?

<KK>
Nov 19, 2001, 12:31 PM

It's interesting that when the Newton MP2X00 were being marketed they were pitching them as notebook replacements. Small form factor, long battery life, lightweight were the benefits.

The problem was the performance was too good to be just an organizer but not quite up to par to be a notebook replacment. Issues such as speed, lack of RAM, lack of storage, and difficult synchronization with the desktop kept it from being the primary or secondary computer and instead relegated it to the bottom level.

I love(d) my MP2100 but I also had a desktop, and a powerbook. Now-a-days I could conceive of getting rid of the desktop CPU because the Powerbook G4 is really that good.

I know that RAM is cheap, I know that power saving technologies are much better, I know that storage is very cheap for large quantities and small enough. I know that there are low power high performance CPU's. I know that miniturization technology is much better. I know that battery technology is better.

So, a new PDA with a lightweight OSX and bulletproof syncing with the desktop/powerbooks would be a winner. Of course, it would cause some sales cannibilization of the notebooks but it could be envisioned as a very high end iPod with a price point of around double or $800.00.

Forum Links
Forum Rules