Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office no longer check for other copies on Network after SP1 update?

Office no longer check for other copies on Network after SP1 update?
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 02:25 AM

After installing the Office SP1 update on my 2 computers using the same serial number I no longer get the threats that one copy is going to shut down because it found an identical serial on the network.

Did MS remove this "feature" or is something else causing this to NOT happen?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2002, 04:29 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<strong>After installing the Office SP1 update on my 2 computers using the same serial number I no longer get the threats that one copy is going to shut down because it found an identical serial on the network.

Did MS remove this "feature" or is something else causing this to NOT happen?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Is it possible that Office no longer searches the local network but phones home directly to verify serial numbers?

-s*

Immortal K-Mart Employee  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 04:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<strong>After installing the Office SP1 update on my 2 computers using the same serial number I no longer get the threats that one copy is going to shut down because it found an identical serial on the network.

Did MS remove this "feature" or is something else causing this to NOT happen?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Is it possible that Office no longer searches the local network but phones home directly to verify serial numbers?

-s*</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Lets hope not.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2002, 07:29 PM

Mine no longer checks the network! Thats great.
tom

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 11:48 PM

I wonder what their ulterior motive is?
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

How you like them Apples?
Jun 23, 2002, 02:31 AM

So have other people seen this aswell?

There's a typo in this sentence, but it slides away when your eyes move toward it.

restbeckett
Jun 23, 2002, 06:38 AM

ulterior motive?

or

maybe it finally got to their fsucking heads that it's fsucking annoying.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2002, 07:41 AM

Well this is strange because, I'm assuming anyway, that MS wont have actually changed their licensing rules, which would still require you to legally buy a license per machine. It seems all they're doing is saying one thing (you need a license for each comp) and then ignoring it...

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2002, 09:54 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by restbeckett:
<strong>ulterior motive?

or

maybe it finally got to their fsucking heads that it's fsucking annoying.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I may be cynical, but I find it very hard to believe that they'd remove something just because it annoyed users who had pirate copies.
Terminated

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2002, 10:40 AM

The main issue isn't pirated copies, it's users who have 2 (or more) machines networked in their homes. If you have, say, an iBook and an iMac, and you connect them via AirPort, only one of them can have any Office v.X app running.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

nibeck
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2002, 04:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> The main issue isn't pirated copies, it's users who have 2 (or more) machines networked in their homes. If you have, say, an iBook and an iMac, and you connect them via AirPort, only one of them can have any Office v.X app running.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">According to Microsoft that is pirating. I'm not justifying it, and I personally think it sucks, but it is the policy.

BTW, mine seems to work fine(no checking) after the upgrade.

- Mike

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2002, 07:49 PM

Maybe Karma has struck again - after all the bugs and bloated code from previous releases, they finally broke their own code for network checking?
Computer thez nohhh...

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Jun 23, 2002, 07:59 PM

Maybe enough people complained.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2002, 08:28 PM

I still find it odd that MS hasn't made their Office licenses the same. On the PC side, Office allows for 2 installs per licence. One on a desktop, and one on a laptop owned by the same person. I did this with my free copy of Office XP, and the activation people confirmed it was fine.

(Anyone know of any MS events where they give out free MS software for the Mac?)
<This space under renovation>

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2002, 08:31 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<strong>Maybe Karma has struck again - after all the bugs and bloated code from previous releases, they finally broke their own code for network checking?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Haha, actually, that sounds like the most likely reason I've heard yet..
Terminated

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2002, 08:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Drakino:
<strong>I still find it odd that MS hasn't made their Office licenses the same. On the PC side, Office allows for 2 installs per licence. One on a desktop, and one on a laptop owned by the same person. I did this with my free copy of Office XP, and the activation people confirmed it was fine.

(Anyone know of any MS events where they give out free MS software for the Mac?)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I am not surprised to hear that MS is screwing over Mac users with their Office licensing. Take a look at <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=006416" target="_blank">this thread</a> that I started. MS is really throwing some low blows as the Mac community here.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2002, 10:36 PM

MS allows mac users to share one license for a desktop and a laptop. They should allow both to use office at the same time.

How you like them Apples?
Jun 23, 2002, 10:49 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kcmac:
<strong>MS allows mac users to share one license for a desktop and a laptop. They should allow both to use office at the same time.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Since when? It never worked before the SP1 update.

There's a typo in this sentence, but it slides away when your eyes move toward it.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 11:59 AM

Since when doesn't MS allow two installs per license if one is a desktop and one is a laptop and both owned by the same user/licensee?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2002, 01:33 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kcmac:
<strong>Since when doesn't MS allow two installs per license if one is a desktop and one is a laptop and both owned by the same user/licensee?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There's a difference between having "2 installs" and *using* both installs at the same time.

The network checking just enforced the latter provision, by forcing you to quit out of your office apps on one computer before launching them on the other. Seems a reasonable, if not strictly accurate, assumption that you can only work on one computer at a time.
cpac

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 05:44 PM

Well can't anyone just use tcpdump (or the MacSniffer GUI) + netstat to check network traffic ??

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

eno
Banned
Jun 24, 2002, 07:06 PM

The old scheme was easily defeated by adding a couple of ipfw firewall rules to block the ports MS uses for network checking.

Thank goodness we have unix now. It should be fairly easy to defeat any network checking measures that MS implements, simply by using standard, built-in tools in the OS.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2002, 01:49 AM

Well it seems that Office still checks for other versions on the network, it has just gotten smarter about it. It allows you to run another copy on a laptop (on Airport in my case) but not on another wired computer at the same time.

Aw shucks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules