Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another plane crash in NYC

Another plane crash in NYC (Page 2)
DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 05:40 PM

What's your point Doc? You know it all? What? Whatever...
Nice attack, but it ignores the reality of the situation.

You knew nothing. You made conclusions that went against even what the government and all the eye witnesses were saying.

Well, I'm watching the news...I see the families at the Kennedy Airport and the Dominican Republic airport weeping and screaming in pain and loss. That's real. The families who died in their houses in Queens. The people on the plane who died. That's all the information I need to say that this is another tragedy...my sympathies go out to all.
We have all grasped that this is a tragedy, but you attempted to make a connection with the September 11th events while being ignorant of even the most public and obvious facts about the situation.

Of course I could be wrong...Doc Gonzo knows everthing under the Sun.
Once more you attempt to attack me because I pointed out that you were making conclusions that it had something to do with September 11th,based on no information whatsoever other than the knoweldge of a plane crashing and then used this incident to justify killing people.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 06:17 PM

This plane really split apart! Both engines fell off, at different times I guess. They are pulling parts out of the water. This place is near the water but if parts of the plane got all the way into the water that would mean they fell of before it hit the ground. Why would a plane with engine trouble (i guess) split into so many pieces?

Odd.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 06:23 PM

Why would a plane with engine trouble (i guess) split into so many pieces?
Fuel line explosion.

The wings hold the engines, and the wings just happen to be giant fuel tanks.

DyslexicCow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2001, 06:23 PM

I've been hearing reports that somebody on the maintence crew for this plane on the ground could have loosened it before take off.

Dyslexic Cows go OOOM!

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
<STRONG>

Fuel line explosion.

The wings hold the engines, and the wings just happen to be giant fuel tanks.</STRONG>
Yea but despite people saying they saw fire and parts falling off there's no indication that it "blew up".
I'm a Nile Crocodile

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by DyslexicCow:
<STRONG>I've been hearing reports that somebody on the maintence crew for this plane on the ground could have loosened it before take off.</STRONG>
Any of them could have done almost anything. They say the engines were checked yesterday. Maybe they forgot something inside the engine?
I'm a Nile Crocodile

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 07:18 PM

It's a bird...

It's a plane...

Hence, it must be Superman's fault.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2001, 07:24 PM

I've been hearing reports that somebody on the maintence crew for this plane on the ground could have loosened it before take off.
I really don't think there's a chance that this was a terrorist attack.. if it was, then we're in deep trouble.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 08:38 PM

Why is there no chance (or so little chance) that this was a terrorist attack? I find this attitude very disturbing. Take a lesson from intel: "Only the paranoid survive"

America is wide open to attack, the potential terrorist only needs determination and patience and he can kill a hell of a lot of people. America better get serious here (and the rest of the world too). It will happen again and it's going to get worse. Security has not been tightened enough (regardless of whether this latest disaster is just misfortune or fowl play).

When are the bureaucrats going to do something about it?
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 08:39 PM

Isn't one of the biggest stresses of a plane and its engine mounts when it's taking off? Is it not coincidental that this happened upon takeoff? Sure it could have been a terrorist attack but I think that if it was then they'd have at least tried to down the plane at a place that it would make another "statement" - don't you think?

Anyway here's the flightexplorer.com information when they had it up there.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2001, 08:42 PM

Could have been sabotage. They are checking the fuel at the airport for contamination.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

Niubi
Banned
Nov 12, 2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by TheJoshu:
<STRONG>I think the most likely cause was a member of the al Qaeda terrorist network accidentally getting sucked into the engine.</STRONG>
Now If I said that you would have flamed the crap outta me

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Niubi:
<STRONG>

Now If I said that you would have flamed the crap outta me</STRONG>
but that's cause you have an ugly signiature (j/k)

I think there was a report on CNN that the fuel was tested and was not contaminated, but then I read the articles pretty fast.

my money is on just another (unfortunately "just another") accident...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 12:05 AM

Don't they ever learn...

[from cnn.com]

"The cockpit voice recorder from American Airlines Flight 587 has been recovered and was flown to Washington for analysis, the National Transportation and Safety Board said. "

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Raman:
<STRONG>Don't they ever learn...

[from cnn.com]

"The cockpit voice recorder from American Airlines Flight 587 has been recovered and was flown to Washington for analysis, the National Transportation and Safety Board said. "</STRONG>
sorry, i don't follow... you stating the irony in "flying" the recorder there?

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2001, 04:29 AM

Apparently, the plane was delayed on the ground for maintenance checks. One of the engines is something like 600 hours since overhaul, the other is 9000 hours !

Yes engines are supposed to withstand birdstrike, but then again Concorde was supposed to withstand it's tyres blowing up...

Sounds like catastrophic faliure in the engine mounting, causing the wing also to break off. Commercial airliners must by law be able to withstand an engine falling off. It does happen - most recently so a 747 during take off, and no casualties there.

Amazing so few people were killed - sounds like the plane nosedived straight down, rather than slicing along the ground, so the impact area was minimised. I can't believe that the engine fell into a station forecourt and it didn't catch fire !

simonjames
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 04:56 AM

Having an engine fall off is bad luck - having an engine *and* the tail wing fall off well thats just too damned coincidental. The news we've received here is that there was no attempt by the flight crew to contact the NY flight control centre - thats never happened before in incidents like this one.

And whats to say the terrorists can't be ground maintenance crew? Hell, they learnt to be pilots. If it is another terrorist attack then I think the US government will put a lid on it - otherwise no one will fly ever again. I hope it isn't
this sig intentionally left blank

grand illusion
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 10:42 AM

they found the tail section fell off first. isn't the a.p.u. (auxilliary power unit) back there? if the a.p.u. had a catastrophic failure what kind of damage would result?
They're coming to take me away, ha-haa!!! To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time...

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2001, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
<STRONG>

Once more you attempt to attack me because I pointed out that you were making conclusions that it had something to do with September 11th,based on no information whatsoever other than the knoweldge of a plane crashing and then used this incident to justify killing people.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]</STRONG>
Once and for all DoctorGonzo...I'm sick and tired of your pompous, armchair, basement dwelling bullshit attacks on me and other people here on such trivial bullshit (Hmmmm, let me find SOMETHING, anything in their post to show my su�peri�ori�ty over these underlings...eheheheheh...)...just goes that you know too much and wish to **** everybody up the ass with your "facts" and "knowledge". You can take it where the sun don't shine. You ain't teaching...just pontificating. **** you cynical bastard.

I_want_justice_in_any_way_or_form to the freaks who damaged and destroyed our sense of freedom and well being. For the tears and pain that families are experiencing. That's here and anywhere else. I'm a good decent person. I don't need this bullshit. Later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules