Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What da heck is the point of the Network directory?

What da heck is the point of the Network directory?
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2001, 05:35 PM

Ok maybe I am missing something but is the "Network" icon in the root of the Hard Drive in OSX completely not what you expect it to be?

Call me crazy but I would think it would be like the OS9 network browser or "network neighborhood" on a PC.

Wow how nice it would be if I could click on that icon and get all the Mac's on my Network or even my iDisk would be cool.

Please, enlighten me on this useless icon.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2001, 06:16 PM

I think Network > Servers shows NFS mounts and other network-related storage. Although it does not show your iDisk.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 08:38 PM

it should show Samba shares too but it don't - maybe someday.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2001, 08:45 PM

If you are on a NetInfo network, I believe it shows all the servers you have permissions to see. I think.

-GregM.
=]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 9, 2001, 08:55 PM

Actually, I too am confused as to why Apple has chosen to make that thing visible all the time and by default. Basically /Network is a place where server admins running Mac OS X Server 10.x can customize various things.

/Network/Library is like /Library, only for things that you want to be available to all users across the entire network (for example, Apple might put Apple Garamond in there instead of installing it on each machine separately).

/Network/Applications is for applications that should be available from the network to all users.

/Network/Users is obviously for all the users folders.

There's a NetInfo manual for Mac OS X Server system administrators available somewhere on Apple.com that describes all of this in painstaking detail.

Given that so few people are on a Mac OS X Server/Mac OS X Client network, I find it odd that Apple make everyone see this all the time. It's like being forced to see all the drives you've ever mounted even when they're not connected. Frankly I think it should not be visible unless you're connected to a network that supports putting stuff in there.

Anyway. Another day, another feedback email.

HTH
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules