Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another big Nintendo GameCube game bomb...

Another big Nintendo GameCube game bomb... (Page 2)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 11:01 PM

Funny thing is everyone thought that the Nintendo GameCube would turn everything around for Nintendo. It is turning out to be another N64.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2003, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Funny thing is everyone thought that the Nintendo GameCube would turn everything around for Nintendo. It is turning out to be another N64.
if it had made the original production date...
We can blame Motorola for this...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Motorola wasn't involved at all.

Gamecube's partners was: IBM and ArtyX (now owned by ATI)

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Really? Is that why Nintendo has so little 3rd party support and don't want to do online games?

XBox came out a few days before the cube and it is doing amazingly well for a whole new system.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2003, 11:55 PM

Here, I'll ignore everyone picking little video game fights, and with your bit of throwing rhetoric back and forth. I'll just assume you're a dumbass and answer to the best of my abilities.

Really? Is that why Nintendo has so little 3rd party support and don't want to do online games?
3rd party support is pretty dismal obviously because of system sales. Nintendo's stated that it isn't profitable for them (or MS and Sony, for that matter, which it's not) to do it, in case you missed their statements on the matter. Nintendo, no doubt, has a bandwagon plan for the next generation.

XBox came out a few days before the cube and it is doing amazingly well for a whole new system.
They've marketed the system better and have more money to throw at it, so it's no wonder. Though it's hardly doing "amazingly well." They're losing money with each system sold, and losing money with their online support, so they're not in the best position. But the market share is growing, and if they can do it again the next generation, even better, it's going to be a great next generation of games to choose from.

I'm sure those statements warrant the "fanboy" title, right? You fackin' losers.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I'll just assume you're a dumbass and answer to the best of my abilities.
Oh I see this is your way of saying "It is just a video game, lighen up". Uh huh, you sound a tad emotial to me.

Yes XBox is doing AMAZINGLY well. Ya they lose money on each system but have more systems sold then Nintendo. Microsoft said it would lose money for sure until 2005 so I don't see your point.

Xbox is by no means my fav system, what I am saying that that the GC is turning out to be another N64 and all the excuses from that system shouldn't be repeating themselves when they seemed to have changed the faults.

Guess I am going to have another Nintendo system with 5 good games by the time they come out with the next system.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 12:11 AM

Is the game cube doing well in Japan? Like better than the XBox? (I presume, that the PS2 is the biggest thing over there, or am I wrong?)

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 12:12 AM

I blame Nintendo of America's advertising department. The ad campaign for Mario Sunshine was crap. Eternal Darkness was the best game no-one heard of (now like $15 at IGN). Between foul ups like these, and not getting dev kits to third parties fast enough, Ninty pretty much fsked itself this gen. Hopefully, the Gamecube will be able to finish a respectable third this gen. Most of that thanks to the fact that consumers in Japan refuse to buy a non-home-grown console.

I hate to say it, but I don't look forward to next gen, either. I'd bet that 9 out of 10 gamers already know the code name for the processor planned to be at the heart of the PS3, and how ungodly powerful it's supposed to be. Many of those same gamers will at best assume that Nintendo is going to pull a Sega. It was the pre-release hype of the PS2 (that and EA) that killed off the Dreamcast. Sony, I'd imagine, looks to try that strategy again. One would hope that people would have learned about how much of the hype is BS after all of the promises the "Emotion Engine" was supposed to deliver on, but I doubt it.

Nintendo will also no longer be able to rely so heavily on it's Gameboys for profit if Sony manages to get any traction with the handheld it has planned. Frankly, I don't know one way or another. On purely technical merits, I question how Sony can top the GBSP, in reality I know that technically superior doesn't always win.

Long story short: Nintendo needs to hold what little ground it has (hell, gaining some would be good), because next gen looks like it's do or die to me, and you don't want to start a situation like that off on the wrong foot.

Honestly, though, this is what looks like the best case scenario for Nintendo to me: M$ and $ony go for each others' throats, and Nintendo manages to stay alive long enough for one titan or the other to decide that competing heavily for consoles is no longer worth it. Then, who knows, 3rd parties may decide that they want to put Ninty on life-support to keep the big player in line. Good grief that sounds vaguely like right now...

BlackGriffen

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
I blame Nintendo of America's advertising department. The ad campaign for Mario Sunshine was crap.
Problem was so was the game.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2003, 02:17 AM

Yes XBox is doing AMAZINGLY well. Ya they lose money on each system but have more systems sold then Nintendo. Microsoft said it would lose money for sure until 2005 so I don't see your point.
Well, that was the point. Your product isn't doing amazingly well when you lose money every time you sell one. You're doing well when you're making a big profit, but I don't have any profit numbers for ya. Software sales is what really counts anyway.

Emotional now? Hehe. The point in my sarcasm flew over your head. I can understand.

As for the next generation, I'm also a bit worried. The graphics will be amazing, but hopefully that's not it. Some new stuff would be nice. Nintendo's already taking surveys with developers on exactly what they want in Nintendo's next console. And some developers have already admitted to working on next generation titles. People are gearing up already. Hopefully it's more exciting than this generation. I miss the NES/SNES/Genesis days, man. Everyone's in a decent position right now -- they just need to make something of it.

11011001, I believe GC is number 2 in Japan, or was at least. The PS2 is number 1 everywhere.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 02:23 AM

Well, that was the point. Your product isn't doing amazingly well when you lose money every time you sell one. You're doing well when you're making a big profit, but I don't have any profit numbers for ya. Software sales is what really counts anyway.everywhere.
Funny I personally don't remember getting into the Video game market but I am sad to hear that I am losing money every time I sell one

Perhaps someone should tell all the printer manufactures that they have been losing money all these years when they sell every printer! Man that stocks will crash over night!

Oh and very few business' come to the market making money from the start, they expect to lose money for months or years before they have the market they want. Anyone with a business should know that.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 02:39 AM

Sorry for going off topic here, but this warranted a response.

If GC is just a kiddy system, it doesn't matter that game selection is limited. Do you know how long it takes kids in the 7-13 range to save $50?
Probably not nearly as long as it would have taken me to save-up that kind of money when I was that age 21-27 yrs ago. Some parents give thier kids that much, or close to it as allowance these days.

You may now continue with your little game platform flame war

MikeM

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 05:15 AM

Mike.. I have no idea where the hell you get your 'facts' that every kid today has an exuberant amount of money to spend on that kinda stuff..

IN fact if you averaged it out it'd be worse then it was then, not counting inflation there are many more poor people now then there were before.

Keep in mind: The teenagers on spymac don't count they have faster mac-replacement cycles then I had when I had PCs... o_O

Anyway, up until I was 13 I got about $28 a month..

Then it became 1 game every 3 months.. nowdays that's turned into 0 games every 3 months because taxes have gotten so damn rabbid.

Yeah sure it's not like I'm suffering. I have a damn nice computer and consider myself extremely lucky.. in fact this is why I'm saying most kids don't have unlimited spending money, because I know for SURE I don't

But then I do, but it still isn't as much as you think.. The last time I spent money on electronics was *thinks* christmas when I got my xbox.. my ipod however.. well.. I worked to get that..
Aloha

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2003, 10:18 AM

I really don't get the PS2 vs GC debate here. I got the PS2 two years ago, and a GameCube six months ago. I still play plenty of PS2 games while still enjoying Metroid Prime, Zelda and Monkey Ball 2 (Damn that golf-game is like crack for people with friends ). You are not limited to just one console uless you budget for just one every three years or so.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Monkey Ball 2 (Damn that golf-game is like crack for people with friends )
Indeed, it is.. Too bad that people like Ca$h will never understand why a game like SMB is so fun.

MisterX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2003, 11:56 AM

I HAD MY GAMECUBE SINCE IT FIRST CAME OUT!!!!! I CANT BEAT LUIGI'S MANSION!!!!!!!

Its Better To Burn Out than fade away

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by MisterX:
I HAD MY GAMECUBE SINCE IT FIRST CAME OUT!!!!! I CANT BEAT LUIGI'S MANSION!!!!!!!
Turn the Caps Lock off please. It's stupid.

benb
Jul 15, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Turn the Caps Lock off please. It's stupid.
Maybe he has six fingers so he can afford to press shift constantly. Oh wait. That's stupid.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 05:51 PM

Well... one way to increase the number of games for your gamecube... is buying the nicest Game Boy:

the Game Boy Player!

I love it. GB games have never look so sweet.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 15, 2003, 06:29 PM

So lets see...

Game Cube:

Dismal Sales.....

Only a few good games......

Dismal 3rd party support....

No good racing games...... (and by "RACING" I don't mean driving a f*cking japanime mushroom headed freak around in a go kart avoiding SUPER DUPER SHELLS!)

No online play.....

Yep, you guys have convinced me alright. The game cube is definitely better than the extremely well selling PS2 with LOADS of good games, lots of 3rd party support, lots of good racing games, and online capability....

Oh yeah. The PS2 also plays DVDs.

GAME CUBE SUCKS ASS!

HAhhahahah

- Ca$h

benb
Jul 15, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Hey, I'm a big retard!
Will you shut up already? We already know this and would appreciate it if you didn't have to make it known all the time.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2003, 07:24 PM

As previously noted, please do not have children.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 08:24 PM

Oh yeah. The PS2 also plays DVDs.
Good thing too, since I'd have to throw out my existing DVD player to clear a space on the AV rack.

The portability of the GameCube is a positive.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 08:33 PM

As previously noted, please do not have children.

We don't need Ca$h, Jr.

benb
Jul 15, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Good thing too, since I'd have to throw out my existing DVD player to clear a space on the AV rack.

The portability of the GameCube is a positive.
Yea. And another good reason not to throw out your DVD player is the PlayStation 2 has problems syncing audio and video tracks on DVD playback.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 15, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Yea. And another good reason not to throw out your DVD player is the PlayStation 2 has problems syncing audio and video tracks on DVD playback.
Mine's only done that with one disc.....

hey, shouldn't you guys be playing super monkey balls if its so fun????

benb
Jul 15, 2003, 09:11 PM

Mine's only done that with one disc.....

Don't have it. Plus the All-Star Game is on. I am watching that instead.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 10:33 PM

Shouldn't you be playing your thousands of mediocre games?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 10:42 PM

Personally, I think Cash would be a way cooler dad then 90% of the geeks here.

Admit it, you are all jealous that he even kissed a girl, aren't you!
( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; Jul 15, 2003 at 11:53 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 11:40 PM

HALO2 !!!!!!!!!

AHAAHAHAAHAHAAAAHAHAAA

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2003, 11:54 PM

This just came out and looks like a killer:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/428/428645p1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SomeToast
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 12:21 AM

This just came out and looks like a killer:
Agreed.

This one does too.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Agreed.

This one does too.
Perhaps, the last one wasn't that great. Jedi Starfighter on PS2 was much better.

Actually, these 2 games have nothing in common other then the Star Wars in the title. It is a RPG which Nintendo hardly touches on the GC

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 08:26 AM

I think Halo 2 will be one of the best games ever made.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
I think Halo 2 will be one of the best games ever made.
Or maybe one of the best tech demo? We'll see

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Or maybe one of the best tech demo? We'll see
Yeah, I'm thinking best tech demo until DOOM 3. Not that it probably won't be fun as hell, I just doubt "best game ever" title.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:33 PM

Personally, I think Cash would be a way cooler dad then 90% of the geeks here.

Admit it, you are all jealous that he even kissed a girl, aren't you!
if cash was my dad... i would spend every day kicking him in the nuts for being a moron... i mean seriously, he acts like he is this huge badass but we all know where he will be in 5-10 years

maybe he can justify why that is an awesome place to live because it is cheap, there are a lot of them, and it is like a racing game when the truck comes to dump it

Immortal K-Mart Employee  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
if cash was my dad... i would spend every day kicking him in the nuts for being a moron... i mean seriously, he acts like he is this huge badass but we all know where he will be in 5-10 years
Oh please, all the geeks here act like total badasses but in person they have glasses and weigh 125 pound and their voices are cracking.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 16, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Shouldn't you be playing your thousands of mediocre games?
You think Gran Turismo is mediocre? Or grand theft auto? Or frequency? Or half-life? Or .... fool.

Besides, I was at my mom's house when I posted that... I don't have net access at home.

- Rob

permanent68
Banned
Jul 16, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:

maybe he can justify why that is an awesome place to live because it is cheap, there are a lot of them, and it is like a racing game when the truck comes to dump it
Explain how I'm a moron. I don't act like I'm a huge badass either.... do I play rap music? No. Do I strut? No. Do I wear FUBU and carry a gat? No. Do I beat people up? No...well.. mostly not. I'm not very big so I try not to get into fights if I can help it, but 1.5 years ago I beat up a big asian dude.

- Rob

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 03:59 PM

Explain how I'm a moron. I don't act like I'm a huge badass either.... do I play rap music? No. Do I strut? No. Do I wear FUBU and carry a gat? No. Do I beat people up? No...well.. mostly not. I'm not very big so I try not to get into fights if I can help it, but 1.5 years ago I beat up a big asian dude.

- Rob
big asian dude... was he in a wheel chair???

i was just pissed off because you are marginalizing certain aspects of the gamecube... obviously the titles you want are on the ps2... that doesnt mean that the entire gamecube platform blows... it has a lot of exclusives that make it worthwhile for people to buy it... i dont rent games very often, i tend to buy games that have replay value so for me 5 or 10 games on a console is fine, hence the gamecube...

i also have a ps2 and one the same ammount of games for both systems... i can claim that gt3 is one of my all time favorite games

so what it really comes down to is that you are saying a system sucks because it doesnt have the games / features that you want... but that doesnt mean it have features /games that you dont want but other people do...

so in closing, i would still kick you in the nuts if you were my dad

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 05:02 PM

*sigh* I kinda liked japanimated games. rofl.
Aloha

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 07:28 PM

'Hooder needs to take care of this thread.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 09:33 PM

You think Gran Turismo is mediocre? Or grand theft auto? Or frequency? Or half-life? Or .... fool.
None of those are good enough to make me buy a PS2. Metroid Prime alone was good enough to make me buy a GameCube. So yeah, I'd call those mediocre, Rob.

When's your next banning, by the way?

Oh yeah, and +1

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking best tech demo until DOOM 3. Not that it probably won't be fun as hell, I just doubt "best game ever" title.
Correct.

The best game ever shall forever remain Ico.

At least until Ico 2 or Nico or whatever the rumored sequel is called is released.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
Correct.

The best game ever shall forever remain Ico.

At least until Ico 2 or Nico or whatever the rumored sequel is called is released.
Pffffffft.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 01:50 AM

Pffffffft.
Would you prefer that I say that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be the best game of all time instead?

As long as it's some artistically beautiful PC-style platform game, it's fine with me. (And you're not going to find any games more artistically impressive than Ico and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.)

Heck, how about I say that the 'Cube version of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be the best game of all time?

Happy?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 01:55 AM

Halo and GTA3 are no where NEAR the best games ever. Halo was waaaaaay overrated but still fun although extremely repetitive. Metroid was about 10x better as a single player.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
Would you prefer that I say that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be the best game of all time instead?
Have you tried it in action? I did and it felt like an average game. The graphics are nice but gameplay is nothing new.

Best game of all time? Definitely not.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 01:06 PM

Better tell that to all the gaming publications that gave it "Best of Show" awards at E3 and continue to praise it in updated previews.

From IGN Cube:
The Nintendo build of the game I recently toyed around with offered limited play time through a three-level demo. After some practice, I could whip through the entire thing in about five minutes. But let me tell you -- that was more than enough time to floor me; I'm convinced that this will be the adventure game to own, period, this holiday season.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/428/428242p1.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules