Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shocks

Shocks
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 06:45 PM

Anyone else get a little shock from the metal pieces on the bottom the the G4 iBooks? I am talking about the screws, the metal things around the feet, and the battery latch. It only happens when the iBook is plugged in and if my skin is slightly damp.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

xanderwilson
Jun 15, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Anyone else get a little shock from the metal pieces on the bottom the the G4 iBooks? I am talking about the screws, the metal things around the feet, and the battery latch. It only happens when the iBook is plugged in and if my skin is slightly damp.
No. Are you on carpet when it happens? Do you otherwise have any noticeable static electricity in the air?

Depending on what you mean by "damp," this might send a red flag my way if it happened to my iBook G4.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 11:21 PM

I went for a run, came back, went to check my email and put my laptop on my legs that were a little sweaty: ZAP.... not really a zap just a small buzz and I took it off my legs. Touched the center screw, same thing, then the circle thing around the foot.. ditto. I can touch it now with my fingers and I don't get anything.
It wasn't static because it was a flow of current but yes I was on carpet.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

xanderwilson
Jun 15, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
It wasn't static because it was a flow of current but yes I was on carpet.
Yeah, I'd say that's something that it's not supposed to do. I'd get it checked out.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

iguana9999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 09:02 AM

Yes i also experience it 2 on my current iBook G4 and on the iBook G3. Its always when its connected to the adapter. I always get it from the latch mechanism.

I think the iBooks EMI schield is under current when its connected to the Adapter, because the Latch mechanism is connected to the EMI schields.

Well its ok i dont mind

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 09:59 PM

Big question: are you using the 3-pin adapter or the 2-pin adapter? Does it change when you switch?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

namen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 07:57 PM

Also wondering if you are using the three prong adapter. If you are using the three prong adapter for the charger, that should ground everything properly and you shouldn't be getting a shock. But you shouldn't be getting a shock anyways. I'd send it back.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by namen:
Also wondering if you are using the three prong adapter. If you are using the three prong adapter for the charger, that should ground everything properly and you shouldn't be getting a shock. But you shouldn't be getting a shock anyways. I'd send it back.
... unless your wall jack isn't properly grounded.

I've never felt a shock even touching the plug... one thing that comes to mind is that the line from the inverter to the display may be stripped. It outputs AC and therefore would be far easier to feel than a DC current.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules