Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 72)
andi*pandi
Mar 27, 2013, 09:24 AM

Some tower inspiration:

How Fans Recreated Game of Thrones in a Minecraft Map the Size of LA | Underwire | Wired.com

A ton of discipline to build collaboratively like that!

I like Sek's new house near the tower, it would make sense for the area between the village and the towers to be filled with slightly nicer merchant shops etc, maybe even attached to the tower itself? are we imagining an outer wall to enclose the tower and nearby buildings, to make an inner city? Perhaps the portal/bridge can be enclosed in a temple.

I'm going to have to take some of my bees on a field trip to the forest, build a small hut there and see if I can get some heroic bees. Cross breeding has yielded some interesting results, but I think I also need some more varied bees. Overflowing with marbled and meadow drones.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 27, 2013, 01:23 PM

if you leave the village and head south toward the orange hill, I dug a tunnel through to the harbor on the other side. about halfway down the tunnel, I found a hive. is it useful?

as for the tower, I like the idea of a fancy town / houses around the tower, but I'd rather not build directly against it. I'm thinking more 'happy town, but what the heck is this old tower/fort doing here?' vibe. Then we can build a 'town wall' that includes the village and spread out more modern from there.

thoughts?

andi*pandi
Mar 27, 2013, 01:55 PM

If it is grey, it's probably a rocky bee, which I've got plenty of. If you see a green or blue hive though, let me know! I need a forest bee and a jungle bee.

btw, which wiki do you guys prefer? both the top google hits seem incomplete.

Hive Bee - Feed The Beast wiki
Beehives - Feed The Beast Wiki

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2013, 02:03 PM

If you go do north from the village there's a forest bee hive hanging in the air where someone cut the tree dows. Yes they spawn up in the trees. I recall seeing a water bee hive but not where. So there is one around some place. I think it was in the river to the NW.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2013, 05:18 PM

Well I logged in a couple hours ago to continue my grid mine under the Savanna to make up for the enormous amount of resources I used making and tweaking my powersuit. Found another 9 (!) Emeralds which doubled our reserves, among a ton of other stuff.

Then I got to crafting more upgrades for my armor. I have the forcefield upgrade on all components, meaning I can sit in lava and not accumulate any damage (providing I've got power). I've got an Elite battery in the boots (watched duncan's powersuit episode, very helpful) as the boots are the first unit to be drained so they should have the best battery. My boots also have shock absorbers, so no falling damage. The legs have sprint assist and jump assist (jump is maxed out), and I have glider wings on my torso to float majestically around. All in all very cool, I dig the Power Armor mod quite a bit.

If anyone else is interested in such a setup I can craft you one in my spare time, granted I may need to pause and mine more materials since the upgrades eat up a ton of stuff.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 11:17 AM

Okay something is wrong with the node in the village. It constantly produces flux. I caged it so the wisps won't wander around killing things but you can't do anything that uses vis anywhere that we've build something. I murdered 4 silverwood trees and got no saplings so I can't even try that. Good news I found a temple in the dessert. It has a 900 node in it. I plan on continuing construction on the tower but the thaumcraft stuff is going to the desert.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Okay something is wrong with the node in the village. It constantly produces flux. I caged it so the wisps won't wander around killing things but you can't do anything that uses vis anywhere that we've build something.
Man, I can't even read this thread anymore...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 11:30 AM

Not that anyone would notice but the tekkit server is still up.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2013, 11:32 AM

Is it even worth it for you to keep it up?

andi*pandi
Mar 28, 2013, 11:38 AM

I had to build a house in the new world yesterday, I sure did miss the flying ring.

Not helped later by seeing sek zoom by with his new power suit rig!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2013, 12:15 PM

with the thaum stuff moving to the desert, does that mean that both sides of the tower are 'available' now? If that is the case...

I claim one side for Mystcraft-related items. watched some videos on that and looks like my kind of fun. (at least when I'm not building 1km rail lines for the heck of it).

Blaze, are you going to put some kind of 'evil wizard' structure out in the desert? If not, want one? All about the evil wizard vibe

sek, it would be awfully nice of you to go ahead and make Andi a flying suit. I'm not ready for one myself just yet...

In other news...
I'm on the last 500m of a decently long tunnel at y40 heading east. it should link back to the village tonight. So this means it's rail station time. Now, as Blaze mentioned before, there are better ways to travel long distances than a rail line (even high speed rail) so the only reason to be involved in this is because you enjoy tinkering in railcraft, find long rail lines fun, or are pathologically insane. I qualify for all 3 (at least according to my wife) so I'll be working on a blast furnace assembly and debating rail station designs soon. I'm kind of partial to a roundhouse look for the surface structure, with most of the functional stuff below the surface. Feel free to chime in with ideas.

cycl0lse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 12:36 PM

Railcraft provides for linking carts into a train. But once you do that boosters don't work and it requires a fuel fed engine.

I also need to setup a uu-matter production facility now that I have a infinite source of bone-meal analog. Routers are so cheaty It won't need to be huge but I'm thinking it belongs in the modern section of town. Wherever that is.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
sek, it would be awfully nice of you to go ahead and make Andi a flying suit. I'm not ready for one myself just yet...
Well technically I don't fly at all. I just have my high jump boots and a glider, since the jetpack setup requires a lot of other modules to work correctly. But I can mirror my setup for Andi just fine, might have to do a little mining first...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2013, 12:49 PM

regarding mining, let me unload all the ores I just got digging a long tunnel. I'll do that tonight. I have about 6-8 chests of stuff.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2013, 12:55 PM

We need to set you up with an Ender Pouch.

andi*pandi
Mar 28, 2013, 12:56 PM

I have some stuff too that I haven't dumped into the warehouse yet, and am certainly willing to help mine. Or are we just sending turtles down the mines and using golem butlers to fetch it all back?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 01:53 PM

Anyone who wants can bring me a mining turtle and I'll install a branch mining program (not mine) that's really nice. It does torches, and dumps into an ender chest if you give it one. Then you just follow along and clean out behind it. I need to install the charge station that Sek made too, then no more fuel issues either.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2013, 02:10 PM

how hard is it to code a turtle to do a 4 tall by 3 wide tunnel instead of the 2t x 3w default?
(aka, got a link to the syntax for the turtle code? Since I love me some train tunnels....)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2013, 02:26 PM

Side question for Blaze.

I noticed you scraped your earlier circuit to control the power station, and now it ticks on every second or so.

Is there a way to set it up so that the first cell will completely drain, but once the second cell starts to drain the system runs until the first cell is topped off?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 02:31 PM

Standing on the backs of giants
Advanced Programs: Orefinder, Tunnel. - ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

Or
The Programming Language Lua
Category:APIs - ComputerCraft Wiki

I cant find the url of the branch-mining program, I have it written down on paper of all things

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Side question for Blaze.

I noticed you scraped your earlier circuit to control the power station, and now it ticks on every second or so.

Is there a way to set it up so that the first cell will completely drain, but once the second cell starts to drain the system runs until the first cell is topped off?
Yeah I've been pondering that. I'll need an "or gate" of the assembly table variety. If your on before I am.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2013, 02:37 PM

The wiki lists several types of OR gates (gold iron diamond) Which will you need?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 03:15 PM

Oh the iron will do, I only need 2 slots.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2013, 03:21 PM

K, the Assembly Table is very confusing, and the FTB Wiki has very scare information.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 03:28 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2013, 12:50 PM

Last night I set up a Genepool and another xycraft tank for turning excess bees into liquid DNA. This will be useful in the future once we start breeding specialized bees. The only weak link in the system is the Analyzer needs honey to analyze bees, and there isn't very much of that to go around. Bees can be turned into liquid DNA without being analyzed first but they will yeild less liquid. I am considering a beehive set-up behind my house to automate the production of honey.

andi*pandi
Mar 31, 2013, 06:05 PM

It will be nice to have a way to dispose of all the boring bees. Not sure it's worth wasting the honey to analyze them.

After much cross-breeding, I think I finally got a more rare bee. A majestic queen! but she seems to not do very much.

I was away this weekend but wondering how my bees have been doing.

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2013, 08:43 AM

This might be taking love of minecraft a bit too far:

Creeper Body Pillow :: ThinkGeek

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
This might be taking love of minecraft a bit too far:

Creeper Body Pillow :: ThinkGeek
Bets on the first person to rig a small speaker in it so it makes the "shhhzzzzzzz" sound

and yes, that's about one step too far down the minecraft path...

.... and thus I see it's yet another think geek april fools. sigh.
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Apr 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2013, 11:33 AM

OK, Monday Morning brainstorming time:

Issue 1: Map software
The one I have gives us a rough idea, but I'd love one that can do more detail AND pull data from the other realms (such as the nether, twilight forest, and eventually mystcraft). I'm researching but having slim success. Anyone know of one? I'd prefer one that is not a mod plugin, just to keep the server load down, but I'll explore anything.

Issue 2: Skype
So, so we want to get a skype channel so we can easily coordinate when online? Text chat is great, but if we had skype available it would make brainstorming and building larger things easier. Thoughts?

Issue 3: The Next Big Thing
So we've hit the point where we can manufacture just about anything we want. How do we want to use our materials? The city is doing OK as it is, so maybe we need to coordinate a larger-scale item to have some fun with. Suggestions? Or is everyone content researching stuff in Thaum and Bees?

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2013, 12:02 PM

Dynamap is the only one I can find and its a plugin. The one I was using went open source because the author quit and no-ones really working on it anymore.

I did create an appropriate skype account. I'll need to get and actual microphone, maybe a headset setup. Not surprisingly the mic that came with my B&W isn't compatible. Recommendations being accepted.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2013, 12:46 PM

logitec is king right now on volume. just got a h340 (wired USB) and will let you know how it works.

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
.... and thus I see it's yet another think geek april fools. sigh.
hee!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2013, 02:31 PM

Don't their April Fools products have a habit of becoming reality? (Tauntaun sleeping bag comes to mind)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2013, 04:02 PM

The lava has run dry and all power is drained. The sorting system is all backed up and the overflow chest is chock a block full.

I think producing EU with those Geothermal generators is a losing proposition as they use an enormous amount of lava. I am going to move the lava pump and disconnect them for the time being just to get the regular system back on line.

I think we should utilize a Nuclear Reactor for EU production, or bite the bullet and craft an HV Array.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah it was a temporary measure I got tired of watching you guys sprint around and wanted cheaty armor too. I'll clear out the overflow system when I get on if you haven't. We shouldn't have piles of stuff laying around though. I'm still not sure what to do about the speed difference between the sorter and the router. There's no way that I know of to slow down the sorter and the router is already upgraded.

--- update --

I haven't built a reactor yet and would like too.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Apr 1, 2013 at 04:37 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2013, 04:40 PM

I emptied out the refuse from various machines and chests and the system lurched back alive. For the time being I have the energy tesseract disabled so the quarry won't start up again and clog the works. I sourced a new lava pool big enough for the time being, and the old area was hilariously drained of lava.

What about having two routers? I know nothing about them so feel free to tell me that's a stupid idea.

After dinner time I'll start crafting either more solar panels or the components for a Reactor, whichever the consensus leans towards.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
--- update --

I haven't built a reactor yet and would like too.
Knock yourself out. Most annoying part (besides that nothing stacks) is making the coolant cells. If you'd like I can set up an electrolyzer to facilitate that process, unless you want to craft everything.

In other news I used most of our stored steel to make 9 (for a 3x3) liquid fueled firebox in anticipation of our switch to steam power. Which begs the repeat question, where are the Railcraft machines going to live?

Edit: System cleared out fairly quick, I went and checked the quarry and it only had several layers left till bedrock so I switched its power back on. IN bee-related news I had a Meadows Hybrid that was working at night, but I seem to have lost that trait. I do have a hive with a Valiant hybrid, so I want to read up a bit more so I can start whittling down my species to exactly the ones I want. Eventually I'd like a fast working, long-life, work in the rain and night species that produces oily combs to feed the steam power system.
( Last edited by sek929; Apr 1, 2013 at 05:17 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
In other news I used most of our stored steel to make 9 (for a 3x3) liquid fueled firebox in anticipation of our switch to steam power. Which begs the repeat question, where are the Railcraft machines going to live?
Regarding railcraft, I have a thought of making a rail yard look for everything. Does it matter how close it is to the current warehouse?

Once I have a location, I'll rough in a few buildings with mostly cobble. We can then either modify or cover to make pretty.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2013, 06:35 PM

BEWARE LAG!

Trying out DynMap and the first render has started. CPU is, well, maxed right now. I'll post when it's done, and hopefully a link as well...

update
Rendering looks pretty, but I cancelled it. Was crushing the server and rendering things we don't need. I'll modify the config files and kick it off overnight.
Thanks for the patience! I'll post a link when I have the web server setup.

(and be warned: one more server restart tonight to apply the changes later tonight)

cycl0pse
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Apr 1, 2013 at 07:39 PM. )

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2013, 08:06 PM

Steadfast princess AND drone, woot.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2013, 12:03 PM

I mentioned this to Blaze last night briefly, but I would like to build a dedicated "bee house" and move all the related machines and whatnot into there. It will be wood and glass construction (think fancy greenhouse) and have enough room for at least 4 sets of 5 Apiaries. This is mostly to accommodate the piping system I have planned to automate the re-setting of the Apiaries, and also to house the new upper tier machines to start splicing bee traits to make super bees. I would like to build it in the 'plot' behind my house on the other side of the Nether portal path.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 PM

sounds fine to me. just beware lag this afternoon as I render some maps.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2013, 12:30 PM

can the bees *be* inside? what about "sky is obstructed" errors?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2013, 12:54 PM

As long as the roof above each Apiary is glass then they can certainly be indoors. The floor will have to reamin grass to allow flowers and whatnot to be planted.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 12:55 PM

There's a trait for that. The water bees and the cave bees don't need to be "outside."

I had a thought, I wanted to set up a tree farm for charcoal to use to generate IC2 power. If I use coke ovens to make the charcoal i'll get creosote oil. Obviously this isn't as compact as regular furnaces. The thing is boilers will take creosote oil. I haven't found any good numbers on oil/sec when making charcoal though to know if it's feasible.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 01:10 PM

I'm going to get a coke processing center started tonight. can we feed the tree farm charcoal into that, have the waste go to the boiler, and use the coke for the steel?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 01:14 PM

"Example: a 8 LP boiler will run 55.555... seconds with one bucket of creosote oil. One coke oven takes 180 seconds to process something. If you're making charcoal it needs four cycles to make a bucket, or just two if you're making coke. So let's say you're making charcoal. Twelve coke oven will produce one bucket every 60 seconds, which is just shy of being enough. So with 13 ovens you can fuel an 8 LP boiler indefinitely."

Doesn't sound to bad.

This doesn't include start up heating. I'd personally use fuel to start it up.

Stick them in the chunk north of were i'm putting the nuclear plant. Sek's boiler is going to the south. You can also use 4 charcoal to make steel

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 01:30 PM

interesting.

and while on the topic of interesting....

NEW MAP AVAILABLE!

Minecraft Dynamic Map

it is still rendering away, but feel free to take a peak. it will generate right before your eyes...

(be warned, it shows player location right now... in real time. if we don't want that, I can disable it. opinions welcome)

cycl0pse

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2013, 01:39 PM

I have several rocky queens who beg to differ. Crossbreeding is tricky. But if sek is right, and glass works, all is good.

[QUOTE=BLAZE_MkIV;4224404]There's a trait for that. The water bees and the cave bees don't need to be "outside." /QUOTE]

Forum Links
Forum Rules